Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2022, 05:05 PM   #1
jplawman

Default 1932 ford b model roadster original??

OK SO I am at a cross road, the roadster is original henry complete every piece but the four cylinder b model engine is in need of rebuild! my question is would it hurt the value if I change to a v8 flatty and if so is there a shop near indiana that would rebuild the four with the balanced crank and inserts tell me your thoughts. humbly john!
jplawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:18 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 1932 ford b model roadster original??

I guess it depends on how you define value. If in monetary terms, I doubt whether switching the engine over to a V8 would hurt the car's value. In fact, it would likely increase its value. Would you be the first to do so? Not by a long shot as the ratio of fours to V8s "surviving" bears no resemblance to that ratio when they were built.

Personally, I define value somewhat differently when it comes to old cars and to me that switch of engines would border on sacrilege. I realize that many, if not most, judging from history, would opt for alternative "A".
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:02 PM   #3
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
I guess it depends on how you define value. If in monetary terms, I doubt whether switching the engine over to a V8 would hurt the car's value. In fact, it would likely increase its value. Would you be the first to do so? Not by a long shot as the ratio of fours to V8s "surviving" bears no resemblance to that ratio when they were built.

Personally, I define value somewhat differently when it comes to old cars and to me that switch of engines would border on sacrilege. I realize that many, if not most, judging from history, would opt for alternative "A".

I'm confident that I speak for a great number of us on the Barn who appreciate and are thankful for David's definition of value.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:25 PM   #4
DavidG

Alan,

Thank you.

David
Old 07-02-2022, 08:55 PM   #5
neilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplawman View Post
OK SO I am at a cross road, the roadster is original henry complete every piece but the four cylinder b model engine is in need of rebuild! my question is would it hurt the value if I change to a v8 flatty and if so is there a shop near indiana that would rebuild the four with the balanced crank and inserts tell me your thoughts. humbly john!
If I had a 32 roadster with a bad B motor and a running flathead sitting in front of me I would stick the B motor in the corner until it can be rebuilt and put a flathead in the roadster and ENJOY the car while I was looking for a B rebuilder. You might even decide you like the FH better and no harm has been done to the originality of the car. JMHO :O)

Patrick
neilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:43 PM   #6
tomcarman

My opinion is get the B rebuilt and keep it as original. I don't know the build numbers of B's vs V8's but it seems the 8's are much more common and though more desirable for performance, nothing can replace originality. There must be a reputable engine builder in your area, if not others here on the barn may be able to offer advice. Given the overall rarity and significance of an original '32 roadster I'd be very cautious of any modifications.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:48 PM   #7
cas3

I am not a 32 guy, but are the front cross members the same ? all motor mount and radiator holes present so its just a bolt in with no modifications? If so, I'd go v8 and save the banger for the next caretaker
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:39 PM   #8
deuce lover

The only issue I personally see is the chassis VIN number.Its a "B",not an 18-. Might not be an issue in USA but here is France it is for an import or new registration.

cas3,

The front cross member is the same.Radiator needs to be switched out. Firewall to radiator brace rods are shorter on a V8.The chatter rods are different length.Gas pedal different,fuel line from tank is on opposite side to name a few.

Last edited by deuce lover; 07-02-2022 at 11:45 PM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:52 PM   #9
cas3

Thanks Deuce for the education. So, at any rate just to gather up all the correct parts would be a challenge, then the end result is numbers that don't jive
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 01:15 AM   #10
deuce lover

That's correct. A couple yrs ago I was in search (in USA)of a true '32 V8 5W for a collector here in France. I found only a few for sale BUT they all had "B" vin numbers. 2 of them were simply outstanding restorations in the high $40K range.That fact made them all deal breakers. To me it would matter even in USA.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:23 AM   #11
Charlie ny
BANNED

Stay with the 4 cyl and an updated rebuild. Lot's of details like the radiator, V8 rear
axle assembly, transmission and a milk crate full of brackets and do dads that go
with V8 not on a 4 cyl add to the cost real quick. Of course a V8 swap done with no concern about 'as Henry built it' and originality out the door...well...the virgin is no virgin anymore...
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:01 AM   #12
solidaxle

You couldn't tell from the car in my avatar, but I'm a purist at heart. The body is off limits to any modifications. I try not to drill or make changes to the frame and cross members, if I need to it's as little as possible, I'll use existing holes or fabricate brackets to add a piece that didn't come with the car as to not to disturb the originality. The front and rear cross members had some changes from previous owners so I don't feel too bad to make modifications, the damage was already done.
I want to install a Stewart Warner Ensign gauge insert and have a really nice original dash, damn if I'll cut it! The solution would be to find an already cut up one or a Brookville and hang this one on the wall.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:37 AM   #13
CA Victoria

The B engine rebuilt with updated components to make it a good touring engine will run for many miles and make for an enjoyable car to drive and preserving its originality. Cost to rebuild either would be comparable. As for the V8 compared to the 4 cyl, it depends on what you want from it. The two respond differently in stock configuration, you can draw more gitty-up from either w/more cam, OHV, improved air intake etc. ...... but again the B engine will have plenty of power for your car.

Maybe another club member or ford barn friend close by has a 4 cyl & V8 you can drive to get a feel before you invest in either choice.

Last edited by CA Victoria; 07-03-2022 at 09:43 AM.
CA Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:48 AM   #14
CA Victoria

The B engine rebuilt with updated components to make it a good touring engine will run for many miles and make for an enjoyable car to drive and preserving its originality. Cost to rebuild either would be comparable. As for the V8 compared to the 4 cyl, it depends on what you want from it. The two respond differently in stock configuration, but you can draw more gitty-up from the V8 but again the B engine has plenty of power for your car.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:49 AM   #15
38 coupe

I personally don't spend much time looking under the hood of a 32 with a flathead V8 unless it appears to have genuine 32 parts. I immediately move on if there are valve covers on the engine.
However, I will take time to look at the engine compartment of a B powered 32 since they are so few and far between these days. I also know a B motor can tour, I have seen what the Model A guys drive!
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:56 AM   #16
Karl Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post

Not my car, not my decision, however the punster in me suggests that the V8 should be option "A", the 4 cylinder option "B".
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:32 PM   #17
FrankWest

I would stay with the original engine. To change to a v8 you will need different drive shafts and torque tubes to say the least.. Several other things must be modified to.
And in the end you will just have a modified 1932... there are a million of them.
I imagine you were not planning to find an original 1932 v8 engine to drop in?
Those ford model B engines were very well built and look into what you need, maybe you can get it running without rebuilding. Funny story but true. A guy wanted more power from his original v8 so he paid 4000 dollars for a rebuild and afterwards his car would not go over 15 MPH. Don't do anything untill you attempt to get your original engine running. Those 4 cylinder engines are very resiliant, I saw a guy running one with only One cylinder.!

Last edited by FrankWest; 07-03-2022 at 01:09 PM.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 01:08 PM   #18
Charlie Stephens

The following changes need to be made when replacing a Model B with a V8 (21 stud, others will require a few more things):
Of course engine, motor mounts
Muffler and exhaust system before muffler (same after)
Radiator
Radiator support rods
Engine steady rods
Hubcaps
Starter switch (if it is early B with pull starter)
Transmission (gears interchange but cases are different)
Choke (B is a cable, V8 is a rod)
Accelerator linkage
Engine splash pans
Gas line needs to be routed from right on Model B to left on V8
The B will have a few extra holes in the firewall pad from mounting the 4 cyl engine snubber
Need to add V8 emblem to headlight bar
Need to accept the fact that the serial number (VIN) is for a 4 cylinder

Interesting to note the increase in value for the car is about the same as the cost of making the change

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 01:34 PM   #19
DavidG

Karl,

While a bit obscure, option A is the switch to the V8 in what I wrote; note the second sentence and the rest of the first paragraph.
Old 07-03-2022, 02:59 PM   #20
Andy

You might consider keeping the B and adding a Crager head. I rode in a 32 3W that was stronger than any stock 32 V8. It would be easy to switch back if wanted. I personally would like keeping the B.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote