Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2022, 06:47 PM   #1
russcc

Default In need of a Vintage Distributor Machine

For those of you that may have a vintage overhead in your stable among your EV8s, this experience may be appreciated The 1978 351 Ford Windsor engine in a friends vintage boat was overheating starting to heat up around 1,500 RPM. The cooling system, (heat exchanger) had been cleaned & tested by a pro, new/tested 165 degere Tstat, the water pump & raw water pump worked fine, head gaskets ok. We suspected that the mechanical advance was not functioning right. Started looking for an auto electric shop with the old type distributor machine like a Sun or Allen. Checked with Charlie NY 1st, my go to guy, but he didn’t have a machine so I posted my search on the EV8 site here.
One of the EV8 members responded with his experience at Don’s Auto Shop in Newington CT that recurved the advance on a vintage overhead distributor for him. He had good words for Don’s shop and Paul & Mike who he said were a pleasure to work with
I called Don’s & spoke with Mike, a very knowledgeable guy who understood the issue, and had setup marine engines before.
The Windsor was originally a 235HP OMC marine engine setup to reach maximum torque at 28 degrees full advance, including base at about 2800 RPM
On the Allen machine as it approached 2500 RPM, the mechanical advance had already achieved 38 to 40 degrees and was still going up resulting in the overheating.
The problem was loose & worn advance weight springs, allowing the weights go to far. They replaced the springs with a pair that controlled the advance, and put a small spot weld in the advance weight slot as a stop.
We trial ran the boat last week up 3000 RPM. The temp. gauge stayed at 165 degrees though the trial.
Don’s crew was a pleasure to work with, and knew their business, rooted in drag racing from the 1960s
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:25 PM   #2
dean333

Send a message via Yahoo to dean333
Default Re: In need of a Vintage Distributor Machine

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have an Allen distributor machine I’m not using, yours for $100. Shorewood 60404. Tim [email protected]