Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2020, 02:27 PM   #21
3twinridges

Default Re: Adjustable lifter problem

I have adjustables but they were a bear to adjust even with the galley drilled so I am not losing any sleep on them loosening. But if I build another 8BA I would like to grind the stems and use the stock lifters, just to learn. The machines I have seen that can butt grind valves are pretty expensive. Is there a tool to grind the stems that is in the budget of an individual?

JB
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:59 PM   #22
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3twinridges View Post
Is there a tool to grind the stems that is in the budget of an individual?
Depends on the individual. I have seen old valve facing machines for $300 that would do stems. They were mostly worn out though. A good used one goes for $2000 and up. I do stems in my lathe. It is faster than grinding them but again, most lathes are not cheap.

A simple "V" block fixture to grind stems on the side of a bench grinder wheel could be made up and would work ok with a LOT of practice on junk valves.
The main thing here is to get the fixture adjusted so the finished surface on the stem is flat and square.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:38 PM   #23
3twinridges

Thanks Pete and apologize for hijacking the thread. I saw the same price points for that capability but didn’t know if there was a cheaper tool.

JB
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:49 AM   #24
Ol' Ron

I made a "V" bracket for a bench grinder and it works just fine. Takes alittle practice. Walt Dupont never used adjustable's , had a ceramic fixture for welding up the valve stems . However, back in the 50's the adjustable lifters were only 12 bucks a set.
Then we got lazy.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #25
big job

Before everybody goes bonkers on this subject this is how its done. go to y tube punch
in "fiat nutzs ford flathead valve adjustment" John runs a top end machine shop in CA.
He came up with this researching this subject the way the factory did it but the factory
of course had massive tooling, meaning 16 valves at a time in seconds . well we have
not those deep pockets but with this simple jig & one at a time he machines and sells
these jigs. I made this jig before watching his vidio My jig a good valve guide clamped up to bench grinder with fine wheel use the side of the wheel nip the stem watching the dial indicator. To start yes it takes time but time spent is I own & it is in the draw .
couple things with solid's 1 loose lash then face the valve or nip the seat to set it deeper then grind the stem fastest way out buy chevy valves that are longer then no need to fool with seat and valve grinding. This is not for split guide engines .
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:34 AM   #26
Mike51Merc

I've fixed this problem with a simple center punch (or two or three) on the threads.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:12 PM   #27
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
a bench grinder wheel could be made up and would work ok with a LOT of practice on junk valves.
The main thing here is to get the fixture adjusted so the finished surface on the stem is flat and square.

Sooooo true. It takes a LOT of practice. When dealing with .001", it is so easy to go too far. Great advice on getting junk valves to practice with.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote