Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #41
rogeroadster

Default Re: Cost to Attend the MARC Meet??

You know, I started this spirited discussion with what I thought was an innocent enough question:
"Do they have a one day registration fee or must you register for the entire week?? "
The answers have been varied and informative but I still don't see why there just isn't a one day fee for the interested non-member to attend the entire show. I would bet that every member who paid for and attended the entire week would agree that it would be a tremendous benefit to the Model A community. And I'll also bet that they wouldn't feel cheated by those who only registered for and attended one day. Nobody has asked to attend for free, but $123 to attend for one day is enough to deter the average car guy from showing up and yeah, I do think you could advertise a little.
rogeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #42
5window

There are so many ways they could increase attendance-offer one day for free, offer a reduced price that could be applied to membership, offer a set low price for families, bring in industrial arts classes or summer camp programs, offer a membership without the magazine-there could be quite a list. There appear to be fine,great people in both organizations, but I'd bet both clubs have declining memberships and an increasing average member age.

I could well be missing the point,though. Maybe the folks at MARC want an exclusive club, with a high attendance fee to weed out the riff-raff-the non-serious restorer, the hotordder who loves Model A's. In that case, that's fine with me, too, they just have to say so.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #43
peters180a/170b

Roger , i showed my "A" a month ago in Vermont at a A.A.C.A National Meet [Saturday] .Cost me gas ,food and $35.00 to register to be judged. That's it 1 day.Drove up after work Friday ,slept in the truck for 6 hours and showed my car and then back home.National Model "A" meets 4 days if you want to show your car.Monday is owner/judge meeting,so they say you must attend ,Tues is a wash,Wed is fine point judging and Thur. is the tour.Sorry i just don't have that much time on my hands .
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #44
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoarseWhisperer View Post
Still curious. What is the total number of registrants for this year's meet?
Probably somewhere around 275-280. I registered once I arrived at the Meet and I was number 253. Think about it, ...less than 250 people were pre-registered so the turn-out is VERY low IMHO. So is the car count. The majority of the attendees flew in as there is probably only 85-90 Model A's in attendance including the 15 that were in fine-point!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #45
peters180a/170b

i can't believe your a judge...l.o.l.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #46
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
i can't believe your a judge...l.o.l.
I'm probably not a very good one but I did judge a couple of classes this year.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 06-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #47
rogeroadster

"Roger , i showed my "A" a month ago in Vermont at a A.A.C.A National Meet [Saturday] .Cost me gas ,food and $35.00 to register to be judged. That's it 1 day.Drove up after work Friday ,slept in the truck for 6 hours and showed my car and then back home.National Model "A" meets 4 days if you want to show your car.Monday is owner/judge meeting,so they say you must attend ,Tues is a wash,Wed is fine point judging and Thur. is the tour.Sorry i just don't have that much time on my hands ."

"Probably somewhere around 275-280. I registered once I arrived at the Meet and I was number 253. Think about it, ...less than 250 people were pre-registered so the turn-out is VERY low IMHO. So is the car count. The majority of the attendees flew in as there is probably only 85-90 Model A's in attendance including the 15 that were in fine-point!!"

I think you guys are on it here. National clubs are probably as antique as the cars we so dearly love. They can't any longer ask the local clubs to do the leg work, and then collect the attendance money and swoop in to have a car show/swap meet/dinner/board meeting by and for them selves and still expect to thrive. It will be interesting to see when the dust settles how much money the home office made or lost on this venture. But really they ought to start thinking about a makeover to infuse younger thinking or when we all die and our cars are sold at estate sales to retro-rodders that'll be the end of it.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #48
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeroadster View Post
I think you guys are on it here. National clubs are probably as antique as the cars we so dearly love. They can't any longer ask the local clubs to do the leg work, and then collect the attendance money and swoop in to have a car show/swap meet/dinner/board meeting by and for them selves and still expect to thrive. It will be interesting to see when the dust settles how much money the home office made or lost on this venture. But really they ought to start thinking about a makeover to infuse younger thinking or when we all die and our cars are sold at estate sales to retro-rodders that'll be the end of it.
With all due respect Sir, you really don't have a clue as to how this works. The "home office" is not involved like you think. As to infuse younger thinking, ...MARC/MAFCA leadership is a group of folks that are elected by the membership of the respective club and generally speaking, the mindset of that body is portrayed through those elected individuals as they govern the Nat'l. Club for us. Therefore the direction of each club is steered by the dues paying members who voice their wishes on how they want their club to be run.

I might also add that the majority of Model A's out there are not owned by MAFCA/MARC members. That would lead me to believe that younger influences into either club will not really affect the future price of what the Model A will be. If you choose to disagree with me, that is OK by me but I really would like to keep the accusations factual to protect the innocent ones who are volunteering their time to provide a club or venue like the 2011 MARC Meet.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 06-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #49
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Probably somewhere around 275-280. I registered once I arrived at the Meet and I was number 253. Think about it, ...less than 250 people were pre-registered so the turn-out is VERY low IMHO. So is the car count. The majority of the attendees flew in as there is probably only 85-90 Model A's in attendance including the 15 that were in fine-point!!
Thanks for the response, Brent.

French Lick, Indiana was better attended.

Perhaps the MARC midwest/east coast vs MAFCA west coast is still a factor?

It will be interesting to see attendance figures for both clubs national meets in the Midwest for June of 2012.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #50
rogeroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
With all due respect Sir, you really don't have a clue as to how this works. The "home office" is not involved like you think. As to infuse younger thinking, ...MARC/MAFCA leadership is a group of folks that are elected by the membership of the respective club and generally speaking, the mindset of that body is portrayed through those elected individuals as they govern the Nat'l. Club for us. Therefore the direction of each club is steered by the dues paying members who voice their wishes on how they want their club to be run.

I might also add that the majority of Model A's out there are not owned by MAFCA/MARC members. That would lead me to believe that younger influences into either club will not really affect the future price of what the Model A will be. If you choose to disagree with me, that is OK by me but I really would like to keep the accusations factual to protect the innocent ones who are volunteering their time to provide a club or venue like the 2011 MARC Meet.
Well, I'm not offended and I'm sure you know a lot more about this than I do so I happily stand corrected.
Now, it seems to me that in Southern California where a pancake breakfast can pull 150 model As on a bad year and even you said the turn out was very low at the national meet - why is that? I was there only one day so my observation my not be valid but I drove 120 miles thinking this was going to be a BIG DEAL with lots of cars and I was going to eagerly register and join the club just to be a part of a national event. And I have to say I was disappointed. So do I just expect too much of a national event? Or am I just spoiled because we have so many cars here in SoCal??
I don't mean any disrespect to you or the club but from my (admittedly limited) observation and some of the responses I've read here I'm confused about the concept of a national club.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:48 AM   #51
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeroadster View Post
Well, I'm not offended and I'm sure you know a lot more about this than I do so I happily stand corrected.
Now, it seems to me that in Southern California where a pancake breakfast can pull 150 model As on a bad year and even you said the turn out was very low at the national meet - why is that? I was there only one day so my observation my not be valid but I drove 120 miles thinking this was going to be a BIG DEAL with lots of cars and I was going to eagerly register and join the club just to be a part of a national event. And I have to say I was disappointed. So do I just expect too much of a national event? Or am I just spoiled because we have so many cars here in SoCal??
I don't mean any disrespect to you or the club but from my (admittedly limited) observation and some of the responses I've read here I'm confused about the concept of a national club.
Roger,

It very well could be the state of the economy that we are in right now. I mean let's face it...going to a pancake breakfast is nickel and dimes compaired to the cost of going to a Nationl Convention...I think the interest is there...and I would bet that if we were in "better times", you would also have a better turnout...it might be worse than most of us think...Just my thoughts and maybe there is more to the story.

I just wish the heck I could be there but I have pre harvest (wheat) responsibilities to take care of as this is the norm for me during this time of any Model A/AA Ford convention...National or Regional (except for those that are at my back door) .

And due to the strage weather conditions we have had...it is going to be a month long harvest if and when we ever get going.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 06-30-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:56 AM   #52
Steve Ciccalone

Frankly, I'm surprised by the relatively low turnout in San Diego. I'm very disappointed that I couldn't make it this year due to a variety of circumstances. By my rough count, I think there are about 3000 MAFCA members in CA alone. I would guess that at least a third of them are MARC members like many of us are (the price of both annual memberships is well worth the 12 magazines per year IMO). I would have thought the registration would have reached the 500 mark even though it was on the coast. MARCOM had a good turnout in 2006 when they hosted the MAFCA national and MARC has a very strong presence in the Northeast.

In any case I'm looking forward to the "doubleheader" in 2012. I'm hoping it was done by "design" and not "coincidence" that both meets are a week apart being in close proximity to one another. Next June will be a great month for Model A'ing.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #53
Jim Mason

I ran across this: "This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a might one: The being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy" George Bernard Shaw.

If you are truely interested in improving the the clubs; join, run for office, get involved. Don't stand on the sideline and dinegrate the work of others, with out any intent of becoming 'a force of nature' and investing in the solution. You lower the s/n to the point where nothing can be heard. Just something I was pondering this AM....fwiw,jm (I want to die young, at an old age)
Jim Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #54
Keith

To all this is not meant to be negative however please realize the following: I have attended many National and regional Model A meets and they are worth every penny it cost to attend.

Having belonged to a Model A Club who sponsored a Regional Model A Meet you would not believe the costs associated with putting this event on. Believe it or not the hotel functions rooms needed to host an event are not free the hotel charges going convention rates. There are also too many other expenses to list but please understand it cost the club a lot of money and much of it is put up front with guarantees of return. Even in the end if the hosting club makes money there is at least 3 years of pre-convention planning and many many hours of volunteer time of which know is paid.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #55
Model A Man

I would have gone and had planed on going and would have been happy to pay the fees, but due to the economy and having been out of work for awhile I had to cancle my plans to attend. I only live a few hours from San Diego and have never been to a national event for either MAFCA or MARC and hope someday I will be able to. so for now I will have to just enjoy all the pictures and stories that are posted about the event. Thanks PS anyone see the new motor that is/was going to be on display? How about the 2 door sedan that is being raffled off tomorrow, is it there?
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #56
rogeroadster

Default Re: National Event not a "Big Deal' to non-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
Well,
Attendees at a National Meet typically give up at least a week of their life and time off work to attend. Many have to travel from far distances and bear all the costs of travel and lodging, in addition to the costs of activities at the National Meet itself.

Pancake Breakfasts probably don't require years of planning and convention facilities.
Probably not many people travel large interstate distances solely to attend Pancake Breakfasts, and it does not require a week or more off work for attendees, or a large cost to attend. They are Local events, not National events.

Regarding 'low' turnout at the National, I wonder how many hundreds of non-registered, non-paying, and non-members were actually in attendance?

Do you think their attendance 'helped' the club? By your own admission, you attended, but were disappointed and are confused about the concept of a national club.

So does that mean you did not/will not be joining the National club?

Am I understanding correctly that you also did not register when you arrived for the meet? Did you get any benefit? If so, was it gratis?

So if this National Meet was a 'free' disappointment for you, it reinforces my belief that National Meets are 'by and for' the Members, and not the General Public. They are annual meetings of like-minded members, and their purpose is not for recruitment.

Local events like Pancake Breakfasts are great Local opportunities to attract the Local general public to an event that takes hours not days, generates wide interest, and has a lot of Local recruitment opportunity to connect the Local non-member public with Local Chapters of the National Clubs and their Local enthusiast members.
I hear everything you are saying about attending for free and it doesn't help the club but that's my point - they should tap that market and not just exclude it. I didn't ask to go for free but it was either free or $123 for a day. So I'll stick the 123 bucks in my car. It still seems short sighted that they don't say something like club membership is mandatory for attendance but you can buy a one day pass to the show for $38 which includes 1 year membership to the club. I mean doesn't that promote the club and the sport and reel in a few stray MAFCA members (like me) all at the same time??
Old 07-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #57
wearymicrobe

Maybe I am a bad guy but I paid 3$ bucks for a hour of parking yesterday and I parked outside there little flagged off parking and walked around and took a looked at the car's.

Mind you I do not have a stock model A by any stretch of the imagination so I am not MARC type of guys but I did get to see some of the rumble set upholstery that I plan on using in mine and got to see the flathead specially re builder there who I wanted to meet.

did not go inside to look at the 100 point cars, I am more interested in the driven cars then anything else.

I am going to go down again today because I have time off work with my camera I will post some pictures up.
wearymicrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #58
RockHillWill

I'm with Jim and George on this issue!
Old 07-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #59
d.j. moordigian

Yes, the car count( I THINK ) was low, I expected 3X that amount. Yes, it was expensive to spend 5 nights PLUS the registration. If you brought a car to show it
was more money, I believe.
A 1 day pass or " I didn't bring my car " registration at a reduced rate would be
nice to bring in more people. The Ladies of the club did a great job, according to
my Wife, with the hospitality room and the classes.
It was great to put a face to the people from the BARN, with much nit-picking and
BS made the time fly.

I, had a great time, with great fellowship. Dudley
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #60
Gary Karr

Frank55a said it like it is. Let me bring you all up to speed on a couple of facts of the 2011 San Diego MARC Meet. I am one of five individuals that formed the Pacific A's Region of MARC for the sole purpose of putting on this National Meet. We chose to host a MARC Meet because they had the closest date available for a meet. MAFCA was booked through 2014. We decided that the next possible date for a national meet from either national club would be 2016. We didn't want to wait that
long. Our board consists of two gentlemen from Los Angeles, one from Orange County, and two from San Diego. With this said, there was a lot of traveling back and forth for us and many others for meetings. Now, onto costs for a meet such as this. The registration fee of $70.00 must cover the costs of many items that are free to registrants, such as custom license plates, factory badge pins, the 44 page printed program, all of the event space at the hotel, all of the A/V rentals, fine point judges hats and lunch, blue and red ribbons, patches for the national club vests, misc printing costs, repair tent rental, the website rental and design, misc office supplies, etc, etc. (I'm sure I'm missing many other items!) AS for parking, registered guests paid nothing for parking if they were staying at the host hotel, and $10.00 per day if registered but not staying at the hotel. Anyone coming to the hotel would normally pay a max of $16.00 per day for parking. I can tell you that there is no convention hotel anywhere in California with free parking. In closing, let me say that those who attended had a ball and we of the Pacific A's really enjoyed hosting the 2011 MARC National Meet.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote