Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #21
Roadster62

Default Re: Cost to Attend the MARC Meet??

The only way most people get to see the "Fine Point" Henry winners is at AACA events and local ones like Macungie. Thanks for being a normal guy Pete.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #22
Jim Mason

Gee, I guess you guys told 'us'. I'm going to be completely broken up by the fact that you won't attend any of the national meets. You've really hurt me.
With out attending, with out going to see what is available for free, you've come to the conclusion that you won't see a fine point cars, meet anybody, attend an almost 100% Model A swap meet, won't see the 100's of A's park in the un-restricted parking lot, attend any of the free meetings/gatherings/bs seccessions or see first hand what is what. Then you say 'only real car guys will be a pebble beach', 'The only way most people get to see the "Fine Point" Henry winners is at AACA events and local ones like Macungie'. You might want to work on your 'win friends and influence people' skills...fwiw,jm
Jim Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #23
Fred
BANNED

Jim, I am so glad you said that... "Pebble Beach" ??
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #24
Roadster62

I didn't quote your earlier reply, did I?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mason View Post
Gee, I guess you guys told 'us'. I'm going to be completely broken up by the fact that you won't attend any of the national meets. You've really hurt me.
With out attending, with out going to see what is available for free, you've come to the conclusion that you won't see a fine point cars, meet anybody, attend an almost 100% Model A swap meet, won't see the 100's of A's park in the un-restricted parking lot, attend any of the free meetings/gatherings/bs seccessions or see first hand what is what. Then you say 'only real car guys will be a pebble beach', 'The only way most people get to see the "Fine Point" Henry winners is at AACA events and local ones like Macungie'. You might want to work on your 'win friends and influence people' skills...fwiw,jm
Old 06-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #25
Jim Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
I didn't quote your earlier reply, did I?
your point?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #26
rogeroadster

Quote:
But wait - how can you be hurt?? It was posted here earlier that "The National meet is not for the public, or a recruitment drive. It is a membership meet, by and for the members." so what's a guy to think??

All that not withstanding, I went "for free" and saw the majority of the meet inside and outside. Saw a lot of very nice cars but was disappointed because I didn't see any fine points cars. But everyone I talked to was very friendly and willing to share information. Even though I didn't register I still felt like part of the family.
rogeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #27
Jim Mason

ahh..i see. 'The your really told us' and the 'you really hurt me' was sarcasm. the only one that was hurt would have be you (if you hadn't gone) and the ones that won't now go, because they were be swayed by your comments...I'm done. You can have the last word if you'd like...fwiw,jm
Old 06-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #28
Roadster62

No big deal, this is THE FORD BARN not an official A Club website. "Fine Point", driver, and pile of junk, along with cars that are not good enought for the self anointed experts. With 50 years in the hobby I know what I like, and the people I enjoy being with.
Quote:
ahh..i see. 'The your really told us' and the 'you really hurt me' was sarcasm. the only one that was hurt would have be you (if you hadn't gone) and the ones that won't now go, because they were be swayed by your comments...I'm done. You can have the last word if you'd like...fwiw,jm
Old 06-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #29
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank55a View Post
Vince is 100% correct.

We go through this every year with one and/or the other club's national meets. It seems like a good number of those that do not attend the National meets of either national club, simply do not or will not understand their purpose and what they are about. Further, these meets are hosted by a local club, they have to cover their expenses regardless if the specific activity has no charge there is generally an expense to the host club, this is part of the reason for the registration fee. Additionally, the other part of the registration requirement, specifically being a member, is to ensure all the meet attendees, the host club, and the national club is covered by the club's general liability policy. Attending a national meet is not unlike attending any other national convention of a fraternal organization, specifically, you must be a member. While the national meets are intended for members only and generally not advertized to the public, anyone is welcome to join and attend, most of the time even at the meet and still attend all of the activities that are not sold out. Simple question, if a person is unwilling to join the organization and support the national club, then why should the national meet be open to non-members? There is always someone looking for a free ride at the expense of others.
And the board wonders why the membership numbers are declining and why new folks don't join? Everything you have written has "Exclusion" all over it.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #30
peters180a/170b

'SUPER "that you went and was not discourage by some. Roger [a side note] Last year at MARC National meet held in French Lick IN.,, the FINE POINT cars were placed inside the hotel [ West Baden Springs] and what a beautiful setup [ALL NIGHT] .The Hotel was 1/2 booked for MARC Members [the overflow from French Lick Hotel].My point is the cars were on display most of the night and who ever was a guest there no matter belonging to MARC or not could view the cars. I must add one of the RAREST Model "A"s was in one of the HALLWAYS on display for "ALL TO SEE"[FREE] and to me should of been placed with the FINE POINT CAR - the owner did not want it judged[but should of been there anyway!].To me seeing The 1931TownCar Delivery was the show! You just don't see them . p.s. [membership numbers are declining is because the members are getting to old or they passed on. No new members can afford it. Became a $$$ hobby for some to attend.

Last edited by peters180a/170b; 06-28-2011 at 08:06 PM.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #31
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
Roger , It should cost you nothing ! Put on a Model "A' shirt .walk in the parking lot and that's it. You can walk around the flea market [if there is one] and around all the cars parked outside the hotel. Nothing stops you from walking around unless the ares is roped off for some reason. There are so many people there who knows who??? But you can join MARC while your there for $38.00 ........good luck..
Great post Pete. Parially what the hobby is about.
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #32
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

As I've said before the two National clubs should have a taste of the hobby for non members at these meets.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #33
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Guys, I am here and you all are quabbling over something that is absurd. As a Judge, I participated in the Functionality Test at the 'Start & Idle' prior to the vehicles being driven into the Convention Center building. I observed many "spectators" that were watching this portion for "free" and I even spoke with some of them between vehicles. You just needed to be at the right place at the right time!!

We start Judging cars again at 8:00AM this morning, and there is a viewing this evening after we get done of both the Fine-point and Touring Class vehicles that does not require a ticket. Most of the fine-point cars were still in the trailer when Roger was there however many people have been coming by and we have been opening the trailers to let them view them. Also, yesterday afternoon, most of us had the fine-point cars out driving them around and prepping them while people were stopping to chat. Marco & Doug were making laps around the parking lot with their Roadsters and again, they had many spectators.

Again, are our accusations here really being fair to the hosting club and the members who paid money to attend?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #34
HoarseWhisperer

Still curious. What is the total number of registrants for this year's meet?
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #35
Bill O'Brien

My opinion, take it for what it is worth.

I am not a member of either Model A Club. Kudos to those of you who are! There are a lot of benefits to being a member of these great clubs.

I feel that the national meet should be open to anyone who is willing to pay the fee to walk in and not be a member. Our hobby certainly could use more members. The kinds of people who dont want to turn our beloved Model A's into hot rods w Chevy 350's in them! (I think 99% of us can agree with that )

Why not encourage more people, non Model A people to come and see how wonderful these cars are and how much fun they can be?

So you charge $15 per person to walk in and open it to everyone. Would be a much larger turnout and might end up making more $$$ in the end.

Thanks for hearing me out
Bill O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #36
Jason in TX

I'll be stopping by Thursday. Hope to say hello to Vern and Brent and any others who are around.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #37
Milton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O'Brien View Post
Why not encourage more people, non Model A people to come and see how wonderful these cars are and how much fun they can be?

So you charge $15 per person to walk in and open it to everyone. Would be a much larger turnout and might end up making more $$$ in the end.
An excellent point Bill. This is the way the NSRA does it and it is the way I got back into street rods and,eventually, Model As. It is win win, the owners pay to register and the interested pay to see. My street rodder club news just emailed the members about the MARC meet this morning.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #38
Mike in NRN IN

A very interesting thread.

We could not attend this year - as we are saving money for next year - and I hope (fingers crossed) to make the MARC and MAFCA meets (they are close together WI-MI)

The key is money and with a college student and high school student (driving next year) it's all about being able to save enough to attend the national meets (which I ABSOLUTELY LOVE!) AND there is always something for my entire family to do - tours, fashion, Hubley Derby, chassis assembly, cars, swap meet, friends, etc, etc, etc.

This year it was just not in the cards.

As far as membership - I am members of both national organizations (the price cannot be beat!) Considering some of the other organizations I belong to. . .

Barbershop Harmony Society - $170 per year (6 publications per year)
American Meteorological Society - $90 (publications cost extra)
National Weather Association - $45 (all publications electronic)

So, for the money - MARC/MAFCA are a bargain.

Mike in NRN IN
Mike in NRN IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #39
WTSHNN

These events take a lot of money and planning to make happen. A LOT of money.

The problem lies, how do you continue to host these meets, open them up to people to attend for free, and still afford to pay for all the stuff that needs to be paid for? Rooms? Staff? Signage? Insurance? What system do you put into place to regulate who has access to areas and events from a purely security based level to protect both the people and their property they bring to these meets?

Is it fair to expect the people who do register and pay to also cover the expense it would take to host people for free? Likewise, how do you get an incentive to get people to pay that would make that a more attractive option than showing up and partaking for free?

My idea? It is already happening. There is PLENTY of stuff that a person can do at a Model A event for free. Like people before have said, go kick tires in the parking lot, wander the swap meet, etc. All of that is already free and open to the public (at most meets). Go do that. It is fun. I pay to attend the meets and 90% of my time is spent doing that stuff.

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #40
peters180a/170b

All i know is how does it NOT pay to put on a National Meet. What is A.A.C.A. doing right and Model "A' clubs doing WRONG!. First don't get me wrong the Model 'A Meets are super but come on my N.Y.Westchester A.A.C.A. chapter put on a National Meet in 2000 and still working off some of the PROFITS ! It cost $35.00 to register .You are just hurting yourself with no exposure to the hobby!
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote