Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
rogeroadster

Default Cost to Attend the MARC Meet??

So I've been looking at the MARC web site and I can't seem answer this question...possibly someone here can help me. I live near San Diego and thought I'd attend the meet for one day without my model A. Do they have a one day registration fee or must you register for the entire week?? I am a MAFCA member so is it necessary to be a MARC member to attend the show/swap meet etc.?? Anyone know how much it would cost to attend for the day??
rogeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Cost to Attend the MARC Meet??

Roger, to officially attend many of the functions of this event, you do need to register for the meets ($85.00) plus you would need to be a member in good standing of MARC to register for the meet. There will be some activities that would be outside along with people mingling that could be "unofficially attended" without paying the fees, ...other than the outrageous $35 a day parking fee imposed by the hotel!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
rogeroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Roger, to officially attend many of the functions of this event, you do need to register for the meets ($85.00) plus you would need to be a member in good standing of MARC to register for the meet. There will be some activities that would be outside along with people mingling that could be "unofficially attended" without paying the fees, ...other than the outrageous $35 a day parking fee imposed by the hotel!!
Thanks for the reply...

It looks like it would cost me (the casual observer) $158 to attend the show for one day... or possibly I could park on the street and get by with $120. Plus I'd get another magazine subscription for a year.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Roadster62

This makes Pebble Beach in August at $175.00 a head a better deal IMHO. It's been on my Bucket List for 30+ years and the years aren't getting longer.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
peters180a/170b

Roger , It should cost you nothing ! Put on a Model "A' shirt .walk in the parking lot and that's it. You can walk around the flea market [if there is one] and around all the cars parked outside the hotel. Nothing stops you from walking around unless the ares is roped off for some reason. There are so many people there who knows who??? But you can join MARC while your there for $38.00 ........good luck..
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeroadster View Post
So I've been looking at the MARC web site and I can't seem answer this question...possibly someone here can help me. I live near San Diego and thought I'd attend the meet for one day without my model A. Do they have a one day registration fee or must you register for the entire week?? I am a MAFCA member so is it necessary to be a MARC member to attend the show/swap meet etc.?? Anyone know how much it would cost to attend for the day??
The theory is that this is a MARC meet for members and only members can attend. There are events and seminars inside that also need money to be paid to attend. I remember a big blow out about the monies raised by the sponsor host club a few years ago. I also remember the Dallas club refunding "excess" profits to those that attended as well as a DVD with info and pictures of the event.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
Roadster62

I've never been a member of a Model A Club, but you would think, getting new members would be a set goal. Making the time and location of the meets known to the general public should allow new people exposure to the hobby. There are an awfull lot of people walking around the AACA Meet in Hershey , for the cost of parking a vehicle.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
I've never been a member of a Model A Club, but you would think, getting new members would be a set goal. Making the time and location of the meets known to the general public should allow new people exposure to the hobby. There are an awfull lot of people walking around the AACA Meet in Hershey , for the cost of parking a vehicle.
You are so right!!! Events like these meets get new members period! When out local club put on displays rarley do we not get a new member.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
Elcastor

No, no, no! I am at the MARC Meet. The cost is $70 to register and $10 to park all day if you are registered. $16 to park all day if you do not register. You could park for $16 and view all the cars in the parking lot, and I do not know what all else.
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
rogeroadster

Well, it is a shame that they don't have a one day registration fee that could include the price of a club membership. I tend to think that they are missing the point of even having this meet if it doesn't include attracting new members or developing interest in the Model A.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #11
Jim Mason

As peter said, you can enjoy all of the non-registered parts of the show for free (usually includes the outdoor swap meet and such. I'd just go over and see whats what. You should be able to view the cars in the parking lot, and that would include allot of the touring class, maybe a couple of the show cars as they are being prepped, the swap meet (bring cash, there will be bunch of original parts) with vendors , and you will get to meet all the people you want. If you want, join the club. If you want register for some of the other parts of the meet (late registration $80) Indoor swap usually free, Seminar on canadian A's 5$, Restoring door handles and locks $5, Cabbie and vickie meeting free, Side curtain seminar $10, speedometers $5, Ads literature and posters $5, Fine point start and idle free, era radios $5, view the judged cars free, New engine block $5, 400a/180a/190a $5, smith compressor free, engine rebuild $5, shocks and arms $5.
Jim Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #12
peters180a/170b

Perfectly said Jim , you have more of a writing skill then i do .. And more time to do so...l.o.l.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #13
Roadster62

Well, I'll feel much better on the lawn at Pebble Beach with real car people, so don't worry about seeing me at a Model A National.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
That really is the purpose of local clubs that are chartered by the National. Local clubs should recruit members locally into the National clubs, via local functions, parades, swaps, shows, etc.

If local enthusiasts won't turn out or sign up at local events, why would they travel to a National meet at the last minute? The National meet is not for the public, or a recruitment drive. It is a membership meet, by and for the members.

Perhaps family reunions could/should advertise and invite the general public to their functions, in the name of making new friends?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:14 AM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcastor View Post
No, no, no! I am at the MARC Meet. The cost is $70 to register and $10 to park all day if you are registered. $16 to park all day if you do not register. You could park for $16 and view all the cars in the parking lot, and I do not know what all else.
I don't know where you came up with that figure but if you CLICK HERE you will see a copy of the registration form. At the top of page two it clearly shows that the price to register is $85.00 now that it is after June 1st. The parking fee for the Meet is by the hotel, ...and is free if you are a Hotel guest AND registered for the Meet. I am unaware of any hotel parking discount given by MARC.

Roger, my suggestion -like others, is to come on and see what you can for free. I will tell you that right now, the outdoor swap meet consists of 3 vendors. I do not know whether Meet registration is required for the indoor swap meet attendance as it will officially open this morning but just take a chance on seeing what you can. Fine point cars will be entering the building tomorrow evening.

Vince, your idea of inviting the general public to a Family Reunion is GREAT!! I've done met all the ones that come to my family's reunuions and talking with all of them is the same subject year after year. They're ugly and boring!! Maybe inviting some pretty young ladies next time would give me somebody else to talk to all day!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #15
Elcastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I don't know where you came up with that figure but if you CLICK HERE you will see a copy of the registration form. At the top of page two it clearly shows that the price to register is $85.00 now that it is after June 1st. The parking fee for the Meet is by the hotel, ...and is free if you are a Hotel guest AND registered for the Meet. I am unaware of any hotel parking discount given by MARC.

Sorry, I had forgotten that the $70 I paid was a "sign up early" price. Yes, the cost to park all day is free if you are a hotel guest, but $10 if you are not a hotel guest, but are signed up for the MARC Meet.
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #16
frank55a

Vince is 100% correct.

We go through this every year with one and/or the other club's national meets. It seems like a good number of those that do not attend the National meets of either national club, simply do not or will not understand their purpose and what they are about. Further, these meets are hosted by a local club, they have to cover their expenses regardless if the specific activity has no charge there is generally an expense to the host club, this is part of the reason for the registration fee. Additionally, the other part of the registration requirement, specifically being a member, is to ensure all the meet attendees, the host club, and the national club is covered by the club's general liability policy. Attending a national meet is not unlike attending any other national convention of a fraternal organization, specifically, you must be a member. While the national meets are intended for members only and generally not advertized to the public, anyone is welcome to join and attend, most of the time even at the meet and still attend all of the activities that are not sold out. Simple question, if a person is unwilling to join the organization and support the national club, then why should the national meet be open to non-members? There is always someone looking for a free ride at the expense of others.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #17
BrianBurkert

I have been to a few MARC meets and I have to say that the host clubs do an excellent job. That is a boatload of work for a handful of helpers! It is asking a lot for them to have all sorts of ala carte registration options. In my general past experience, I saw no reason that a spectator couldn't pull into the parking lot and view the cars and/or swap meet. Also, the people were always helpful and I'm sure a prospective new member could get a warm welcome and membership information at the membership desk.
BrianBurkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #18
1931 flamingo

I "snuck" into an EV8 meet in Windsor, CT last year or year before. Wandered thru the parking lot as fellows were cleanng vehicles, small outside swap area, etc. No one questioned me. Met some nice folks.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #19
jimalabam

If you want to dance, you gotta pay the band...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #20
peters180a/170b

Boy ,if this is the way you treat a MAFCA member "crap".i would not even join MARC. Tells me about some of the members. Let the guy walk around and have a fun day..MONEY ,MONEY, MONEY sounds like the tax people! Next time have the meet behind closed doors [and charge to the max]! Hell ,i am spending $200.00 for 1 day to sit under a tree[i hope] at Macungie car show just to have fun and meet my MARC/MAFCA and FORDBARN buddies and shoot the shit all day and listen to the music and eat! This is my family reunion just like Hershey! CAR HOBBY FAMILY!