Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2015, 02:08 AM   #1
bikemaniac

Angry Problems: Importing Model A to USA

Hi,

In the past I have posted several threads about my adventure on driving a Model A across USA.

I live in Denmark and own a 1930 Model A tudor and the plan is to ship the car to New York on a roll-on-roll-off ferry, drive it to California and sell it there, maybe using ebay. I have NO intentions of bringing it back home to Denmark. The car has a Danish registration, Danish license plates and Hagertys in USA accepted on insuring the car even though it has a foreign registration.

I contacted a vehicle import agent in New York and they tell me I cannot do it. I HAVE to export the car out of USA again within 90 days!!! But I dont want to - I want to sell it in the US to somebody. I know you cannot import car which are younger than 25 years - but vintage cars should be no problem at all.

Does anybody know what to do? Otherwise the entire trip is jeopardized and there will be no trip at all (I am screwed).

The plan was (or still is) to follow the Lincoln Highway https://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/map/

Please note, as an alternative, I dont want to fly over, buy a US Model A on the East Coast, drive it across and sell it again in CA.

Lucas
bikemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:54 AM   #2
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Problems: Importing Model A to USA

Hi Lucas,

Did you try:

1. Maybe calling twice to maybe get someone else without a hangover, or someone who may want to assist; and/or,

2. Try calling another state.

3. Most Government employees I have hired and/or met could never be a friendly waiter in a restaurant today ..... ever read about our present VA hospitals where our U.S. Government VA employees allow our U.S. military veterans to die in the ditch ... furthermore, not even one (1) of these lazy turkeys on this protected endangered species list ever gets fired.

Hope this helps.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:18 AM   #3
Marshall V. Daut

Lucas -
Pre-sell the car BEFORE you bring it to America, with the proviso that you are driving it to California for delivery to the buyer THERE. That way, someone in New Jersey won't want to pay to have it shipped back to the East Coast. Only West Coast buyers would be interested. State in your ad or eBay listing that you will deliver the car personally after driving it across the USA, but the delivery destination MUST be in California. That point is non-negotiable. The buyer will just have to accept that another 3000 miles or so will be on the odometer by the time he gets it and pay accordingly - or he doesn't buy it.
If you pre-sell the car with documentation, I don't think you'd then have to send it back to Denmark within 90 days. You are simply delivering a vehicle to the new USA buyer.
One point to ponder: there are a LOT of Tudors in the USA. 1/4 of all Model A's ever manufactured were Tudor Sedans and they survived in droves. They are great family
car and a fun vehicle, but be prepared for a lot of competition when you go to sell it here. Unless you have a very low price or the car is a low-mileage close-to-original example, it may not sell right away or for what you think it is worth. The more European features it has (lower horsepower, TUeV-mandated "safety" additions/modifications), the fewer potential USA buyers will be interested. By trying to pre-sell the car before you ship it to the USA, you will be "testing the waters" to see if it even can be sold here. It'd be a real shame to fight all the government paperwork and go through the expense of shipping the car to the USA, only to find out once you get to California that you can't easily dispose of the Tudor. Food for thought.
By the way, in 1974 I did the opposite shipping routine that you are planning. I sent my 1928 Model A Roadster to Germany from New York City after driving it there from Phoenix, Arizona. After living in Germany for almost a year, I sold the car to a man in a town south of Munich. The car is still there! What a trip that was!
Good luck with your venture! If you happen to travel Interstate 80 across mid-America, stop by in Davenport, Iowa, for a visit.
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 08-13-2015 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Incorrect word spacing
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:18 AM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I think I commented on this subject previously. What you have been told is absolutely correct. Put your request in writing to the United States Customs and Border Protection Service and they will explain it in detail. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #5
updraught

The above sounds like good advice.

As an outsider to the US I know that each state has different registration (or licensing) laws having had to get a vehicle inspection on our rental car (it "hurts") as it was several months overdue.

Maybe the 90 days is as long as you can drive a foreign vehicle, or the limit before some import duty is applied??
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:19 AM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

unless the car is being sold very cheap after the voyage who would committ to a non refundable deposit..without a deposit you may be at the finish line waiting for a no show...one would have to assume that some powertrain components may need a major overhaul..
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:16 AM   #7
Tim B.

Thinking outside of the box. Have you explored leasing/rental options? Discuss your plan with some reputable classic car rental agencies or the major car rental agencies. It would be great publicity for them. Make them a proposal. You never know. Good luck.
Tim B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:47 AM   #8
31Tudor

This doesn't have anything to do with this particular question or problem that you posted, but I noticed that you referenced the Lincoln Hwy as your journey route, which is basically Interstate 80. I just traveled that route through Wyoming and Nebraska, Iowa probably 1000+ miles. The speed limit is 75-80 MPH, two lanes and packed with Semi trucks running 75-80 MPH. Windy and you are out in absolutely no where in Wyoming. If you do put it together, I think I would pick some other route. Just my opinion.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:26 AM   #9
burner31

Coming all the way to America, to drive a Model A coast to coast, and you're NOT going to drive the "Mother road" (Route 66)
Why bother?
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #10
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Essentially, you a Danish citizen, want to export a car for sale from Denmark to the USA, and sell it in the USA. That is how it is seen. But you do not have an export license from Denmark, nor an import license in the USA, nor a tax paying business in the USA. That is how it is viewed, and you are not going to find much governmental sympathy.

You might be able to sell the car first to somebody here, have them import it through a broker, and ship it to USA as an individual import. They would pay all the import costs and fees and taxes and registration in their name, and prepare the car for road use. Then you come to USA, and rent or lease it back from them for your trip, and then return home. It will be his problem how he deals with the income of the car rental to you.

I seem to recall you have already received this strong advice in the past, but you seem fixed on your plan. Better to get it worked out first than ruin your trip at the beginning. We may be sympathetic, but cannot solve your problem.
His plan sure presents more problems than I would ever take on. My question in conjunction with the above comment is, who is going to buy a Model "A" without ever seeing it, pictures or not, unless one could get it for next to nothing. And if Lucas tries to sell it when he gets here, how does he know he would get a satisfactory price for it?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #11
eagle

You will not likely get nearly as much money for your car here in USA as it is worth in Europe. Why not buy a car here, drive it like/where you want, then sell it and return to Denmark. There are several very reputable dealers/restorers that would be able to facilitate it. Even here on Fordbarn.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #12
Bob C

Maybe you could get a ride with these guys. http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175196

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #13
ModelAMike1930

I agree with what eagle is telling you. Best sell it at home and lease or buy one here, then sell it before you return to Denmark.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #14
WTSHNN

While the idea of selling the vehicle before arriving seems like it could maybe work on the right alignment of planets...I'm curious who would want to buy a car that is in Europe, will then be imported to the US and assume the liability of owning a vehicle that is then going to be driven 3,000 miles across America. Correct me if I'm wrong (as I've bought very little from overseas) but wouldn't ownership have to be transferred prior to the vehicle arriving in the US? Don't most states require the registered OWNER to be the person the insurance is taken out under unless a leased or rented vehicle?

In my opinion, every single one of those drops the price down and pretty soon you're gonna be giving the car away.

Here's an idea...donate the car to MAFFI or MARC or MAFCA or a kid who is trying to get into the hobby.

-Tim
Old 08-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #15
barnstuf

Lets put import/export rules aside for a moment. Most states require titles and your "A" lacks a USA state issued title. A few states do not require titles for cars of a certain age and a private sale at below market price may be possible in such a state. Years ago I purchased a New Zealand registered car whose owners were touring USA and ran out of funds to ship it out of the country. My state exempted cars over 25 years from the title law at that time and all went smoothly and easily.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #16
Chris Haynes

It really depends on where your car was built. If it was made in the USA there are no import duties on it. If made elsewhere if you bring it here and sell it you must pay duty.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #17
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
It really depends on where your car was built. If it was made in the USA there are no import duties on it. If made elsewhere if you bring it here and sell it you must pay duty.
Sorry but this is not so, once it was exported it is considered foreign goods on its return! Wayne
Old 08-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #18
bikemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
Lets put import/export rules aside for a moment. Most states require titles and your "A" lacks a USA state issued title. A few states do not require titles for cars of a certain age and a private sale at below market price may be possible in such a state. Years ago I purchased a New Zealand registered car whose owners were touring USA and ran out of funds to ship it out of the country. My state exempted cars over 25 years from the title law at that time and all went smoothly and easily.
This sounds like a solution I am looking for :-)

Lucas
Old 08-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #19
bikemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
It was built in Copenhagen. Duty cant be that much ... can it?

Lucas
Old 08-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #20
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemaniac View Post
It was built in Copenhagen. Duty cant be that much ... can it?

Lucas
Contact USCBP and ask that very question. If they allow a non resident ti import they will likely request an accurate appraisal from a licensed appraiser. Wayne