Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-10-2016, 09:15 AM   #1
JohnLaVoy

Default High School Model A restoration

In the Restorer you will find an article about the donation of a 1928 Tudor to Lincoln High School in Lincoln CA. This car was rolled over in the 1980s by a couple on tour. They didn't repair it just bought another tudor and did the hobby stuff with that one. When the husband passed away a few years ago Alfi buys both cars with the plans on fixing the roll over and selling it. Well he lost interest and approached me about donating it some place. I came up with the plan on getting it to an auto shop class to create interest in the hobby. Well apparently it is working. The car was delivered in December of last year. The teachers figured it would be a couple of year project. The kids are so excited they are working after school from three to six pm on the car. The teacher says there are about 40 kids doing this and the chassis will be finished by the end of this school year and he figures the car will be all done in a year rather than two. I did a You Tube video on the donation, Alex Janke from MAFCA is there welcoming the kids to the hobby etc. Hope we get some youth involved in our hobby this way. (youtube.com/modelatimes lincoln high donation)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kids getting donation.jpg (60.2 KB, 290 views)
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:24 AM   #2
roblesterjr04

Default Re: High School Model A restoration

I love seeing kids putting down their technology to work on a piece of history like this. Nicely Done!

1929 Fordor Leatherback
roblesterjr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #3
Jeff/Illinois

Good job John I read about this in the latest Restorer magazine and thought it was an excellent article and an excellent project.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #4
1Tudoor

Really great ! We need more of this stuff
1Tudoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tudoor View Post
Really great ! We need more of this stuff
You're absolutely RIGHT, 1 Tudoor,
When a lot of High School Auto classes are going KAPOOT, this is encouraging!
Our Auto Shop class, in the '50's, inherited a wrecked '51 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible. We even replaced the frame & made that Dude like new! We even painted it ourselves, in the Ag Shop paint booth! It was a soft, Butter Color, YELLOW. We learned SO MUCH, doing this project.
Bill W.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:56 AM   #6
katy

1Tudoor, what kind of car is that in your avartar? Looks like it might be a Willys?
Old 03-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

You can't get a better post than this one. Enthusiastic youth learning a lesson not taught in very many schools. The teacher should also be commended. Thanks for a great post John ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #8
G&N Farms

My high school auto class rebuilt my 57 Chevy truck. It was in a fire when I got it and looked like it needed to go to the scrappers. They turned it into a drivable, tuff looking hotrod. I let them pick the wheels and they picked black. Then I brought my 67 F100 in, the body shop painted it and my class rebuilt the engine.

I'm retired now but hope some of them will continue on in the vintage car world. I really enjoy it when young people are interested in my old trucks. I would give extra credit for students if they went to car shows, some would come back with pictures on their phones.

I've only had my A at 2 shows and I read on here some where to ask if they have a phone , when they say yes, take a picture of them in my A. I enjoyed that as much as the kids did. We as keepers of the faith have to get younger people to carry on the love of the iron.
G&N Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:35 PM   #9
armchair67

Excellent! This is what will keep the hobby ALIVE
armchair67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:57 PM   #10
Terry Longest

Central Alabama MAFC recently donated a chassis to the Autauga Co. Tech School auto program to rebuild. We had been donating money yearly. The chassis is apperently generating a good bit of interest and enthusiasm in the students. We hope to also make some Model A fans/club members eventually. We all new some young blood in our clubs.
Terry Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:20 PM   #11
al's28/33

Really great and genuine!!!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #12
modelAsteve

Hi John. We have the parental release forms for the kids who are coming up to our FAST Nor-Cal Auburn hill climb on April 23. Ron L will be getting them to you if he hasn't already done so. See you there!
modelAsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:04 AM   #13
JohnLaVoy

If it is electronic email it to:[email protected]
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:58 AM   #14
bobbycoke

I belong to the Adarondack A's Model A Club and they have had a youth program for the last few years........Every other Sat, about 10-14 youg people ages 10-16 and a group of "mentors" [adult club members] meet at a local Ford Dealer and have restored model A's... they have restored a huckster,speedster, AA flatbed truck , this year a 1931 rumble seat roadster....It is both fun and rewarding in sharing knowledge about Model A's , older technology ,problem solving, and just working and thinking things thru. The vechiles have been sold to fund the future projects. The club maintains an inventory of tools and members "lend" some of the specific tools such as mig welders etc [yes they learn to use torches,welders,grinders,drills , files etc] It is open to young ladies and gentleman.....lunch and snacks provided by the club.. I would publically like to thank Jack Byrnes the owner of Jack Bynes Ford [mecanicsville ny] who donates space in his shop for our program, use of electric,air power,storage and other resorses... He is a true gentleman and always loves to come and watch the young ones........This is a great way to encourage youth into the old car hobby..........Rob Boyd
bobbycoke is offline   Reply With Quote