Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2018, 07:58 PM   #1
N97323

Default Victoria Steelback -- Seats--

Just getting started gathering parts for my Victoria Project. I need some help on the front seats. It appears there were 3 different kinds of seat attachments, a non adjustable, one that has 3 holes for adjustment and a sliding track? My Victoria is an early '31, are all acceptable ? I also have different seat back hinges the drivers side is a bent and welded steel and the passanger is a cast bracket. Which would be original? Getting a shopping list together for the Hersey Meet so I hope someone can help.

Don
N97323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #2
Bill Cilker

Default Re: Victoria Steelback -- Seats--

Don
Welcome to Ford Barn.
I have a early May Victoria that is unrestored. I have attached 2 pictures showing my seat brackets. The slide brackets were used from some time in May or June to the end of production and would not be correct for your car. I have the 3 hold style on my drivers side and the one hole style on the passenger side. Neither are welded or cast. A picture of your brackets would be helpful. The brackets like mine were used from beginning of Victoria production to the introduction of the sliding driver's seat. I have seen some passengers seats with the 3 hold style.

Also the Drivers seat is 1" wider than the passenger's seat.

You could consider joining the International Model A Ford Victoria Association
http://www.victoriaassociation.org/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB170014.jpg (67.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg PB170020.jpg (93.7 KB, 52 views)
Victoria Association President
Bill Cilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
Pmsqrd

An early Vic uses the three position brackets that bolt to the floor. A rod goes thru the brackets and a plate with a tube on the bottom of the seat. A radiator support rod can be shortened to be used as the rod on each seat. A windshield slide knob was used to secure the threaded end of the rod. The tubes on the seats and the brackets on the floor are reproduced and worked fine for me. You might consider joining the Victoria Assiciation and purchasing the model specific restoration manuals they sell for a Vic.
Pmsqrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #4
N97323

Thanks, I just sent my regristration off to the Victoria Club today. I'll see if I can attach pictures of the seat brackets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2795.jpg (71.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2794-2.jpg (40.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 09-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #5
N97323

My Victoria is a February 31
Old 09-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #6
Brian SATX

1. Join the Victoria Association. Best newsletter out there. 2. Buy the two Victoria books. They are geared to the specifics of the Victoria and have a lot of information.

Last edited by Brian SATX; 09-10-2018 at 06:57 AM.
Brian SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #7
Bill Cilker

Don
We all assumed that you were talking about the seat support to the body, not the seat back support to the seat bottom.
The seat back support should be pressed steel not the forged ones. The forged ones are probably for an early 28 Tudor sedan.

Is your body a leather back or a steel back? When you say your Vicky was made in February of 1931, is that when the engine was made or 3 +/- months after the month that your engine was made.

My Vicky engine was made on Feb.17, 1931 in Detroit, but my car was assembled in early May in San Francisco.

All model A US engines were built at the Rouge Plant. They were then shipped to various assembly plants and the engine number was put on the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB170018.jpg (64.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 09-10-2018, 06:55 AM   #8
Bob Bidonde

My 190A is a steel-back and it is slightly later than Bill Cilker's car. The front seats have the 3-hole brackets and rods. By the way, you can make the rods from 1930-'31 radiator support rods.

The pictures are of the driver's seat. The passenger's seat is similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 190A Driver's Seat (1) 595KB.jpg (62.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 190A Driver's Seat (2).jpg (102.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 190A Driver's Seat (3).jpg (99.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Driver's Seat (4).jpg (64.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 190A Driver's Seat (5).jpg (79.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 09-10-2018, 10:33 AM   #9
N97323

Thanks everyone for the input the pictures are very helpful. The title is for a Feb 31 car. At this point I just have the body, which is a steel back, and a lot of parts, mostly for the Victoria, but as I am finding out a few that are not. Just the beginning of a great project. I'll have to get the books and go from there. A long time since I restored my last Model A which was an AA truck
Old 09-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #10
SHEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cilker View Post
Don
We all assumed that you were talking about the seat support to the body, not the seat back support to the seat bottom.
The seat back support should be pressed steel not the forged ones. The forged ones are probably for an early 28 Tudor sedan.

Is your body a leather back or a steel back? When you say your Vicky was made in February of 1931, is that when the engine was made or 3 +/- months after the month that your engine was made.

My Vicky engine was made on Feb.17, 1931 in Detroit, but my car was assembled in early May in San Francisco.

All model A US engines were built at the Rouge Plant. They were then shipped to various assembly plants and the engine number was put on the frame.
Greetings -

Beautiful Victoria, thanks for sharing. What is the SFA body number if I may ask, as our '30 Deluxe Coupe was also built in San Francisco. Assembly date was 8/6/30 and sold new in Oakland on 10/11/30.
Thanks -

Be well -

Chris

SHEC
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:23 PM   #11
Bill Cilker

Chris
My Vicky does not have an SFA number, but it has been in the Bay Area all of its life. My 1930 Coupe's SFA number is 7314. I believe that it was made in July of 1930. It has a round speedometer and 2 piece splash shields.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #12
SHEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cilker View Post
Chris
My Vicky does not have an SFA number, but it has been in the Bay Area all of its life. My 1930 Coupe's SFA number is 7314. I believe that it was made in July of 1930. It has a round speedometer and 2 piece splash shields.

Thanks Bill - The Coupe "Annie" as we call her, has SFA 11538. Sold new October 11,1930 from H.M. Lawrence Ford in Oakland. The building is still there downtown but now used as a school and public garage. Keep those beauties on the road as we may cross paths since I live in the East Bay.

Be well -

Chris
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #13
Bill Cilker

Don
According to the list of Victoria's in the Victoria Clubs list, the steel back bodies were first available in late April or early May of 1931. Some of the time difference is related to the assembly plant where the vehicle was built. My Steel back on one of the earliest in the list.