Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #21
old31

Default Re: sep plates- polishing?

Denn, nice job with the step plates.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:30 PM   #22
eagle

My step plates are original from the dealer, with the dealer name on them. I like them. I have tried cleaning with Mother's polish but it doesn't do much. Don't mind the dull look, matches the zinc plating.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #23
DougVieyra

Question: [B][I]best way to polish running board step-plates.

Answer:
Don't put on jewelled visors.
Don't put on windwings.
Don't put on colored wheels.
Don't put on whitewall tires.
Don't put on Step-plates in the first place.

Somehow we just can't seem to keep on track to help answer the question (the best way to polish).
It is always refreshing, not to mention helpful, to hear a focused answer to a question.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #24
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post
Any ideas for easy polishing up of old r/b step plates- I assumed they were a zinc alloy but macs and snyders state theirs are aluminum... so tips for both zinc and ally welcome!
Hey John,
Ha, ha....that is, EASY and POLISH is not the way it (polishing) goes !

I just started learning about polishing aluminum mostly (and other metals).
Harbor Freight has a basic starting polishing kit. It contains 'buffs' and several (5) polishing sticks of various colors/grit. I spent HOURS / HOURS attempting to apply what I learned from u-tube videos. It worked !!
Just do some experimenting until tired/bored, then let it be awhile.
You will get to the point to where you have to decide...how shiny do I want it before I stop...like looking into a mirror or less than ! To me it has become rewarding to see an ugly/oxidized / patina hunk of metal turn into a swan.
You can get a pretty nice start on stuff to use at HF and/or other places i.e.-ebay, etc.

Down side is that it's tough on aritheritic hands and they will tell you when they have had enough for several days. But, if you enjoy making your own results in life, may be for you. I'd show you results of some of my efforts as a neophyte...but do not want to brag and / or blind you

BTW...check past threads. I ask this same question , as John, but over on the early V8 side , not tooo long ago. Guess why I asked over there and not here .

Last edited by hardtimes; 03-12-2017 at 05:28 PM. Reason: ........
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #25
Dick Carne

denniskliesen

Nice job on polishing these out. "Can anybody tell me how old these plates are? I've seen a couple photos with this type that have the Ford logo near the side compared to most with the logo in the center."

My father had a '31 Sport coupe back in the early 1960's with these plates on them. R. T. McDaniel use to sell them (reproductions, of course) ... he sold his inventory out to what is now "Mike's Affordable A's" back in the late 1980's / early 1990's.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #26
denniskliesen

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks everybody on the comments And thank you Dick Carne for the information on my plates. I would say most likely from that source. My car had been sitting in a carport since 1980, never ran since then. I suspect somebody took a lot of pride in it at one time and had numerous parts chrome plated, most of which are being stripped due to the plating failure, and painted close to original color.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #27
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Phillips head screws?
Old 03-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #28
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
Phillips head screws?
I was about to mention those too. To me, they stand out like a beacon. Most of our cars originated in Canada so Robertson heads are OK.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #29
DougVieyra

Post # 19: "Can anybody tell me how old these plates are?"
--------------------------------

This style of running board step plate began showing up in 'Parts Houses' about 1970. They were a commonly available item and the cheapest of the two types being offered. As there never was a 'Ford' script step plate, the fellow who made these copied a generic plate and just added the 'Ford' to the plate mold, and casted it as a Ford step plate.

That is the same thing that happened to the more expensive rubber insert type of step plate. Again first appearing in 'Parts Houses' about the same time - 1970 or so. That plate was made without any logo attached (it fit on the back stop), and the buyer added one of the many 15 or so marque names that were also available from the maker of the plate. Ofcourse for sale to the A parts houses, the maker installed the FORD blue oval logo. But the exact same plate is also available with a CHEVY logo, and a Buick logo, and a Dodge logo, etc. etc.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 03-12-2017 at 08:05 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #30
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
Phillips head screws?
Ohhhh! I better change those quick. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:30 PM   #31
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I was about to mention those too. To me, they stand out like a beacon. Most of our cars originated in Canada so Robertson heads are OK.
Interesting article on Robertson-head screws:

http://www.robertsonscrew.com/history.html
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #32
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
You forgot the white walls.
The first white wall tire came out in 1914-Vogue Tyre and Rubber Co. and was made for horse drawn carraiges. On April 6, 1934, Ford introduced whitewall tires as an $11.25 option. In between, I'd bet a lot of Model A owners went for white walls.

I would place a real money bet that there were more Model A's back at the time that sported "accessories" than were left purely as they came from the factory. Since folks modified their carriages,and their Model T's, it is surely the American way to modify a stock car as your own. That is still done today, even with all the factory options.

It's fine to prefer to have your car strictly factory made, but there's no need to denigrate others who want to add accessories. FWIW, if you've done anything to your car that's not NOS-new tires? new paint? new upholstery? new engine parts-even if they look like the originals, then I argue you have accessorized your car.

Not many of us own a 100% NOS Model A.

Oh, and a really nice job by the OP of freshening up those step plates.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:13 PM   #33
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
Interesting article on Robertson-head screws:

http://www.robertsonscrew.com/history.html
From the article:
His third major attempt involved the Ford Motor Company. From early years of the Milton plant Ford Windsor accounted for a substantial part of Robertson’s production. By using socket head screws Ford made a considerable savings of $2.60 per car.

This savings captured the attention of the Detroit bosses and soon after P.L was in Detroit talking about expanding socket head screw production to supply all U.S. made Ford cars. Henry Ford refused to commit to a new product line without having a say in how and where the screws would be made. P.L was not happy with this idea and headed home. This meant P.L was letting go of vast potential in the U.S. market, this also included Ford Windsor which accounted for one third of his output of screws.

This fits loosely with what I have heard for years. Henry's attempts to take control of the patent caused him to lose the opportunity to save big money in the day and made his cars more expensive as a result. This didn't change till a guy by the name of Philips came along and the rest, as they say, is history.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #34
denniskliesen

With corrected screws...

Old 03-12-2017, 10:53 PM   #35
Synchro909

Now that is nice!
Old 03-12-2017, 11:08 PM   #36
w.michael

From memory only, and not from research, I believe these step plates were a 1960's accessory. A lot of them appeared on cars that were restored in the 1960's and early 70's. Please replace the phillips head bolts with slot heads--I'll sleep better!

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:24 PM   #37
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
With corrected screws...

Much nicer. I was going to suggest stainless steel oval head slotted screws. Just what you have..
Old 03-12-2017, 11:49 PM   #38
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
On April 6, 1934, Ford introduced whitewall tires as an $11.25 option. In between, I'd bet a lot of Model A owners went for white walls.
Considering how Henry was, straight laced, old fashion and repetitious (he invented the assembly line), he didn't like aftermarket bozos making things independently for HIS cars and after seeing the popularity of whitewalls, HE added them as an option through HIS dealerships. It was all about Henry!!!!

I'm sure there were other things aftermarket that he added besides whitewalls.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:08 AM   #39
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
Considering how Henry was, straight laced, old fashion and repetitious (he invented the assembly line), he didn't like aftermarket bozos making things independently for HIS cars and after seeing the popularity of whitewalls, HE added them as an option through HIS dealerships. It was all about Henry!!!!

I'm sure there were other things aftermarket that he added besides whitewalls.
Huh? Everything I have read says he copied the idea from others. He was the first to use it in car manufacturing only.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:54 AM   #40
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Huh? Everything I have read says he copied the idea from others. He was the first to use it in car manufacturing only.

Maybe not.............

Ransom Olds
Ransom Olds created and patented the assembly line in 1901. Switching to this process allowed his car manufacturing company to increase output by 500 percent in one year. The Curved Dash model was able to be produced at an exceptionally high rate of 20 units per day.
The Oldsmobile brand then had the ability to create a vehicle with a low price, simple assembly and stylish features. Their car was the first to be produced in large quantities. Olds’ assembly line method was the first to be used in the automotive industry and served as the model for which Henry Ford created his own

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote