Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2016, 06:07 AM   #21
Bob-A

Wink Re: Not many Moels A's at Barret Jackson

Unfortunately, I have a bad habit of watching them all. Chasing Classic Cars is without a doubt the best one. Gas(bag)-Monkey garage can be the worest one sometimes. Graveyard Cars can be fun at times. That guy deffinitely knows his MoPar muscle(head)-cars.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:20 AM   #22
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Not many Moels A's at Barret Jackson

Let me assure you that what I have been paid and what I have paid have been very legitimate. I have never seen the integrity of BJ ever questioned but on this site. Not in a magazine, a website or even in private conversation. Maybe people that drive 5000 to 20,000 dollar cars just can't fathom that other people have that much money to spend on a car. Not one person has presented anything but an option, no proof whatsoever.
Wayne.

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 02-02-2016 at 08:24 AM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:52 AM   #23
ronn

no I do not watch T V

couldnt agree more- creates minds of mush.................!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:26 AM   #24
Keith True

I've never seen any of the car shows.I constantly get people in here that say the pickers or the dickerers would like this.i never knew what they were talking about,then somebody showed up scouting for a TV show.He talked like they were trying to create and film a segment to sell to a show.I sometimes see car auctions on TV now because a pizza place in town has a TV in the corner with them running.I think there was one on either Saturday or Sunday last weekend.When cable first came to town I had looked into it,but I really couldn't see spending $25.or so a month just to watch a TV.Plus,I would have had to add two poles to hold the wire.The distances were too long between poles for the wire technology at the time.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

I also have never had cable TV, so I never see those shows. I do get to watch some of the good old comedies from the 50's and 60's now that the TV stations have the new signals and more programs.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:24 AM   #26
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
Unfortunately, I have a bad habit of watching them all. Chasing Classic Cars is without a doubt the best one. Gas(bag)-Monkey garage can be the worest one sometimes. Graveyard Cars can be fun at times. That guy deffinitely knows his MoPar muscle(head)-cars.

Bob-A
Chasing Classic Cars - The in shop segments are good. (I like seeing a shop without stupid soap opera in fighting and that values experience.) But it takes too much air time chasing not cars, but the almighty dollar at auctions.

Gas-Monkey - Stupid. Not worth your time.

Grave Yard Cars - They have rebooted that show and eliminated much of the soap opera/fighting elements. The owner is indeed a walking Mopar encyclopedia, but he is still crazy!
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:09 AM   #27
Keith True

I work on the Model A's in my cellar,so it's not too hard to get up from a TV and do something.I have slowed down a lot working on them when I have to take something out to the big garage to weld,sandblast,paint,or anything I need the big tools for.I used to put a car together over a winter,now I've had my Tudor in there for about five yeas just to put an interior in it.Of course I wanted to do all the glass tracks in it at the same time,found I had all plate glass in it,the original top was tatty,found a rust hole in the rear seat riser,shim the body a little because the blocks were dried and split,and all just because I scored an LB interior from a street rodder that took one from a restored car he was rodding.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:32 AM   #28
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I work on the Model A's in my cellar,so it's not too hard to get up from a TV and do something.I have slowed down a lot working on them when I have to take something out to the big garage to weld,sandblast,paint,or anything I need the big tools for.I used to put a car together over a winter,now I've had my Tudor in there for about five yeas just to put an interior in it.Of course I wanted to do all the glass tracks in it at the same time,found I had all plate glass in it,the original top was tatty,found a rust hole in the rear seat riser,shim the body a little because the blocks were dried and split,and all just because I scored an LB interior from a street rodder that took one from a restored car he was rodding.
Looks like you are one of the perfectionists. Yours is the kind of car we all want to find when you decide to give up the hobby. Glad you are still enjoying the A, fast is not always best! Wayne
Old 02-02-2016, 11:01 AM   #29
bobpo1

The resto car shows are all about people we used to pay extra to see at carnivals. (example; " see the Tatooed guy or gal" ) they look like a bunch of weirdos and then throw in the constant Bleeping of their foul vocabulary. That's when it's time to go play with my cars again. I was paid to have to listen to that kind of profanity for 30 yrs. I don't get paid for that anymore and I don't want to hear it from guys and gals who try to prove their manliness through their mouths. Just My Opinion. Thank God we still have that left.
LOL Now I have that off my chest..........
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #30
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEC View Post
Nice Vicky pictured. Is it up for "auction"?

SHEC
Why yes it is, lets start the bidding at $100,000.....
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #31
asapguy

Lots of comments about the B-J auction. I would not have gone but we are here in AZ in the motor home, it was my b'day & my uncle was here from Iowa so we went. According to the paper $105M in sales. That was combined memorabilia & cars. Memorabilia sales has really gotten big at B-J. Sales were down 23% from last yrs. record of $137M. The 40 Ford chassis someone mentioned that went for $88K was a cutaway showing the internal parts of the motor, tranny, rear end gear, shocks, etc. It would make a beautiful museum piece & that's it. I believe the auctions have put very inflated prices on collectable cars. Many of these cars are modified to the point you wouldn't want to drive & enjoy them, but they are fun to look at. I did see two early T-birds (56 & 57) sell Fri. on TV. Both went for just over $100K. It might have been just the catalyst I need to finish the 55 I bought for my wife almost 20 yrs. ago. I've restored two other cars since buying the T-bird which is about 1/2 done. Maybe it's time to start working on it again. Enjoy your Model A's.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #32
Cool Hand Lurker

1. Almost all TV including the news is just for entertainment.
2. The only reason for TV to exist is to advertise product to make money.

Once you realize that, then it is much less stressful watching the stupid shows and Much Much easier to walk away from them.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #33
BILL WILLIAMSON

At times, I DO pick up on some fine acts of craftsmanship & good mechanical advice.
I only see replacement floor sections TACK welded in place, do they later weld them solid??? or do they just cover them with MUCHO Undercoating???
I always "wonder" how much BONDO is in some classy cars???
With BONDO, you don't have to be a skilled bodyman, just have to be a GREAT SCULPTURER!!!!
Bill W.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:10 PM   #34
mcorrell

I wonder if the previous owner of the '74 Firebird Super duty that sold the car to Gas Monkey for $35K watched his car sell for $95-100K. It was a one owner car that Gas Monkey stole for $35K (if the show was giving the actual price). Then gas Monkey flipped it to his buddy for $45K straight off of the trailer who then took it to B-J. I believe it was just cleaned up and buffed...a $50K detailing?
I wonder if the car TV guys often get a great deal since they show up with cameras and stuff. Some people eat that stuff up.

1964 Buick Wildcat convertible
mcorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #35
Terry, NJ

Great Point! I often wonder that myself. I wouldn't sell any of those reality shows anything! Just find out what they are hot over. The "Pickers"used to brag about all the money they made on this or that hick. "Ha Ha, we really screwed over those hayseeds!" I didn't expect that from two guys from Iowa, NY, NJ, Ca, Yeah! It's a tough day for them when someone wants full price for their item! What do I need this for?
Terri

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorrell View Post
I wonder if the previous owner of the '74 Firebird Super duty that sold the car to Gas Monkey for $35K watched his car sell for $95-100K. It was a one owner car that Gas Monkey stole for $35K (if the show was giving the actual price). Then gas Monkey flipped it to his buddy for $45K straight off of the trailer who then took it to B-J. I believe it was just cleaned up and buffed...a $50K detailing?
I wonder if the car TV guys often get a great deal since they show up with cameras and stuff. Some people eat that stuff up.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #36
SHEC

Cool Re: Not many Moels A's at Barret Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
Love it Seth -

How can you beat a beautiful Victoria - Steelback no less!

Thanks for sharing Sir -

Be well -

Chris

SHEC
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:51 PM   #37
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post

You meant pesos and not dollars, correct? Wayne
Old 02-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #38
VFRhugh

I wonder what this would go for on BJ?

1931 Ford Model A Victoria 2 door $17500
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5418304481.html
VFRhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #39
burner31

Never watched it, never will.
Mine is priceless, I don't need anyone to tell me what mine is worth, and even if they did I would pay them no mind. It's just "their" opinion.
And we all know, opinions are like A-holes...everyone has one, some people have two.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #40
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRhugh View Post
I wonder what this would go for on BJ?

1931 Ford Model A Victoria 2 door $17500
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5418304481.html
The wheel color does not match the stripe color. The Barret/Jackson crew would call this a one of a kind, probably adding 10 extra horsepower no less.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote