Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2023, 01:40 PM   #1
28Danby

Default Timing help, some clarification

Looking for some clarification or insight. I know there are lots of threads started on timing but I am still having some issues.
The engine is recently rebuilt, rad flushed professionally and rebuilt distributor. New points, condenser and coil. Point gap is 0.020 and rotor to plugs is 0.025” and full retard (lever up)
I found TDC, and using the Nu-Rex wrench, I turned the wrench CLOCKWISE 2 turns til the arrow matched up to the #4 pin and tightened the rotor screw. The tail end of the rotor is on the #1 cylinder with zero (overhang?) if you get my drift. The points are open at this point. Am I wrong to think these should be just closed? As if you turn the rotor with the ignition on we should get that snap?
I have timed it with a light as well, loosened the rotor to the points just closing and getting that “snap” as well as the light on and off but just within the play of the rotor/distributor. This also leaves more “overhang” on the back side unlike the nu-Rex way, as it shows in the picture below
When I then put the button-Rex wrench on, I’m passed the #4 pin by the whole diameter.
The car is running hot (200F) and these variances are kinda throwing me for a loop. I drive mostly highway speed, spark advance 9 o’clock or so but I do find a lack of power going up hills still and I figure this is all advance/retard/timing etc.
I also had a nice gunfire style backfire after I turned the key off.
Any recommendations or advice would be great.

The attached pics are following the timing light adjustment, point gap just closed but enough to open with the play and make spark. It is also off the pin diameter using the wrench as a check.

Thanks

Gibby
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24460DC3-6590-4653-95F2-0F57189E7EF4.jpg (65.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 17923856-0A00-4B55-90BC-156BAA2A8313.jpg (40.2 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg C1B8CE25-7056-4FE3-99B5-36AFA8F282BA.jpg (38.5 KB, 93 views)
28Danby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 02:14 PM   #2
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M
Default Re: Timing help, some clarification

There is one final check you can make to see if you have your engine timed correctly. Put the engine at TDC, be sure your spark advance lever is all the way up, be sure the top plate of the distributor spark rod connects is against the distributor body, put the clamp of your test light onto the point arm, turn your key on, ground your test light to a head stud, and start click by click to bring your spark advance lever down. If your light comes on within the first two clicks, you are spot on.
Good Luck!!
P.S. Always be sure you do not have any slack in the distributor shaft. In other words, the rotor should be clockwise tight against the distributor shaft.

Last edited by Dick M; 05-08-2023 at 02:44 PM.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 02:36 PM   #3
alexiskai

This is a problem I've come across several times. The root cause is that the Nu-Rex wrench, believe it or not, is not always good for timing the Nu-Rex upper plate with modern points. It is perfect for timing the stock points, but for some reason, the Nu-Rex plate positions the modern points in a different spot.

The Nu-Rex wrench doesn't know where the points are – it positions the cam in relation to the distributor body. But on their upper plate, putting the cam in that spot causes the rubbing block to be riding slightly up the cam lobe already at TDC.

That's why you're getting different results with the wrench versus with the light. My recommendation with that upper plate is to use the light.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 03:11 PM   #4
nkaminar

The spark fires just as the points open. Retard the spark (lever all the way up) and rotate the engine by hand with the crank until the pin drops in the detent in timing gear. The point should be closed but just starting to open. Move the rotor counter clockwise and the point should open. You can tell if they are opening by having the high tension wire from the coil about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch away from the head or head bolts and the ignition on. Or use an ohm meter. You can move the rotor clockwise and then counter clockwise several times at this engine position to watch the point open or the spark or meter.

When you are driving the car, set the throttle with the hand lever and move the spark advance lever to find the knee in the timing curve. This is where retarding the spark will cause the engine to slow down but advancing it will not make any change. This position or one click retarded is where you should be running the car. You can retard it one or two clicks when running under load, especially at lower rpm. You can advance the timing one click when driving at a constant high speed on level ground.

If you still have cooling issues, the cause is not likely in the ignition system. It could be that the car is lean. You should run with a the GAV (gas adjustment valve) a little open. Experiment with the GAV to determine the best position for the engine. It will be a little further open when the engine is cold. If this does not help then try cleaning out your cooling system and take a good look at your radiator. If it is old or of low quality then this could be the problem.

The recommended gap for the plugs is 0.035 inch.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 05:25 PM   #5
TMarsh

use the red book system, I found the new rex off the same amount. Not blaming nu rex, just found the red book system to be more spot on.
TMarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 06:44 PM   #6
Synchro909

The early Nurex tools did not rely on the distributor body contacts for anything. I still prefer them. I set #1 at TDC using the timing pin and use the tool to move the cam CLOCKWISE (so that any slack is taken out of the process). I use a light globe across the points to tell me when they CLOSE. The globe goes out when they close. At that moment, screw down the cam and you're good. The other method is to use a piece of cellophane like say, a sweet wrapper between the points. As soon as the points grip the cellophane, clamp it down.
Because I am rotating the cam in the opposite direction to its normal rotation, I have removed all slack from the system and what would be points opening (the coil fires), closing happens at the same place as opening will when the cam is turning in the opposite direction.
I strongly believe people go to too much trouble setting the timing. So what if it is not set 100% and is out by a few degrees. Once we start driving the car, we change the timing with the lever so what feels right. Using either of the above methods ahs served me well for decades.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:20 AM   #7
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28Danby View Post
Looking for some clarification or insight. I know there are lots of threads started on timing but I am still having some issues.
The engine is recently rebuilt, rad flushed professionally and rebuilt distributor. New points, condenser and coil. Point gap is 0.020 and rotor to plugs is 0.025” and full retard (lever up)
I found TDC, and using the Nu-Rex wrench, I turned the wrench CLOCKWISE 2 turns til the arrow matched up to the #4 pin and tightened the rotor screw. The tail end of the rotor is on the #1 cylinder with zero (overhang?) if you get my drift. The points are open at this point. Am I wrong to think these should be just closed? As if you turn the rotor with the ignition on we should get that snap?
I have timed it with a light as well, loosened the rotor to the points just closing and getting that “snap” as well as the light on and off but just within the play of the rotor/distributor. This also leaves more “overhang” on the back side unlike the nu-Rex way, as it shows in the picture below
When I then put the button-Rex wrench on, I’m passed the #4 pin by the whole diameter.
The car is running hot (200F) and these variances are kinda throwing me for a loop. I drive mostly highway speed, spark advance 9 o’clock or so but I do find a lack of power going up hills still and I figure this is all advance/retard/timing etc.
I also had a nice gunfire style backfire after I turned the key off.
Any recommendations or advice would be great.

The attached pics are following the timing light adjustment, point gap just closed but enough to open with the play and make spark. It is also off the pin diameter using the wrench as a check.

Thanks

Gibby

Looking at your photos, it appears that the "modern" points you're using are mounted in the incorrect position on the upper plate.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 10:56 AM   #8
katy

I was taught the "Ford" method in the 1950's and still use it, Never had a problem with that method.

From the Ford service manual:

1. Fully retard spark lever.
2. Check gap between breaker contact points and if necessary adjust them as described on page 28.
3. Screw out timing pin located in timing gear cover (see Fig. 10) and insert opposite end of pin into opening.
4. With the starting crank turn the engine over slowly, at the same time pressing in firmly on the timing pin. When the piston reaches the end of the compression stroke the timing pin will slip into a small depression in the camshaft gear.
5. With the pin in place, remove the distributor cover and lift off rotor and distributor body.
6. Loosen cam locking screw until cam can be turned.
7. Replace rotor and turn it until the rotor arm is opposite No. 1 contact point in distributor head.
8. Withdraw rotor from cam and slightly turn the cam in a counter clockwise direction until the breaker points just start to open, then securely tighten cam locking screw.
9. Replace rotor and distributor cover.
10. Withdraw timing pin from depression in time gear and screw it back tightly into the timing gear cover.
Old 05-11-2023, 11:01 AM   #9
katy

Looking at your first picture it appears there may be a problem w/the distributor cam. Maybe it's just the angle of the picture, can't see the lobes. Are all 4 there? Are they of the correct height?