Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: "My wife says I must sell it"

MEN & WOMEN try to change each other--------"GOOD LUCK" NLOL
Bill Alone
Old 09-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #22
CHuDWah

Well, I got a good one - wife, that is. I'm currently old-car-less - my choice (too old and fat to crawl under them now). But she put up with them when I had some - just grumbled a bit when she had to scrape her windshield in the winter because my junk was in the garage.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #23
denniskliesen

I had the best wife... Before she passed away, she told me don't sit around and do nothing. Go buy that car you always dreamed of having and enjoy yourself. Well I did that and 2 more.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #24
slammin

My darling wife of 45 years has always helped me scratch the car itch. Its been almost 4 years since the last one. I drove her crazy for seven months looking for the right Bronco II. Now its a Model A that I "must" have. I think I enjoy the hunt almost as much as having the car!
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #25
Anteek29

My sweet wife enjoys cars as much as I do...she and her ex used to own an auto dealership.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #26
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
He was a smart man. Usually, when a girl tells you something like that it's not the car that is a problem it is a control thing, she's seeing if she can push you around and make you do what she says. She was using the guy's Model AA Ford as leverage to see if he'd jump at her commands.

If he would have gone along and gotten rid of his Model AA I can pretty much assure you that SHE would be long gone by now too, no doubt found somebody else she can bully or whatever. Somebody else who she can spend their money. You see it all the time.
That is a wise observation, and I agree fully. I was dating a woman who declared she wanted a man to pay all her bills and take care of her like her daddy did, and also to sell one of my cars and buy her a big diamond ring. That conversation ended the relationship on the spot.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:29 PM   #27
Jeff/Illinois

Bill, a good friend of mine HAD a mint #1 condition '69 Camaro that was a show stopper. He was a die hard Chevy guy. Anyway on a whim (and none of us know WHY he did it) he sold the Camaro and bought a brand new 2016 Camaro. He had it for two months and realized he hated it and wanted his '69 back. It was already sold and long gone. A flipper tagged him and made some money off of Eddie's '69.

So, Eddie put the money in the bank and was going to buy another similar performance Chebby. His wife took out the cash, bought a VERY expensive diamond ring and contracted to have the bathroom re-modeled. That took all of the cash from his car.

He was so depressed he swore off cars now drives some used generic silver beater Toyota Camry, a grandma car. That guy WAS so die hard Chevy he bled little Chevy emblems. Not anymore. And yes the wife told him he needed to buy a Toyota because of the usual blah blah blah garbage.

Lesson to be learned: your antique or collector car is really a CD on rubber tires once they get sold the money gets spent on stuff you wish you had never spent it on in the first place. Keep the cars..
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #28
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullraceflathead View Post
A Model A Ford is always cheaper than a Wife!
Anything is cheaper than a wife. The best female to have around is the dog, well at least mine is.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:05 AM   #29
Oldbluoval

Jeff/Illinois.......another lesson is don't always let your "other" know where and how to get to that much $$ set up dual signatures at WORST
Better yet mums the word.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:49 AM   #30
Wick

I enjoy having the Model A and Ts now the vw dune buggy is here they keep me very busy. The people you meet and friendships that develop are priceless. On weekends the Glad-to-see-ya's show up. Glad to see you come then Glad to see you go. The Lady Friends show up (only 3 now) and bring food and a packed cooler to go out on the boat for the day. There's something about women over 50 and a boat....they can't keep there clothes on and pay attention to fishing. Later we go to dinner in one of the antique cars. FUN times.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:55 AM   #31
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
I enjoy having the Model A and Ts now the vw dune buggy is here they keep me very busy. The people you meet and friendships that develop are priceless. On weekends the Glad-to-see-ya's show up. Glad to see you come then Glad to see you go. The Lady Friends show up (only 3 now) and bring food and a packed cooler to go out on the boat for the day. There's something about women over 50 and a boat....they can't keep there clothes on and pay attention to fishing. Later we go to dinner in one of the antique cars. FUN times.
Funny how when they were young they had us asking for it, and after 50, when we care less than at 30, they want it. I give up.
Bill past it
Old 09-07-2017, 07:01 AM   #32
WHN

Last year I felt it might be time to sell our last Model A. Put in Hemmings. Five days later we had a buyer in our garage with cash in hand.

My wife said "no way" car stays here.

My kids now will someday have to decide who gets it.

My wife knew this one was not a toy, but a true member of our family. Enjoy your car.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:13 AM   #33
Railcarmover
BANNED

I flip them to buy what I want...no,not the wife, cars..she never gets in the way of a purchase,she's more confident than I am in my ability as an appraiser.Where she does get in the way is selling..she fell in love with the '67 beetle and looks kindly on the sport coupe,effectively taking them off the market,I'm ok with that..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:40 AM   #34
Juggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
MEN & WOMEN try to change each other--------"GOOD LUCK" NLOL
Bill Alone
Women marry men thinking that they'll change

Men marry women thinking that they won't
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #35
Lona

Sorry to hear all the talk about bad relationships with wives regarding cars. Guess I'm really lucky. My wife and I dated 60 years ago in high school in my first Model A and she was sad when I sold it after starting college. She was thrilled when I bought our '31 A roadster several years ago and she is the one who drives it to shows. When I talk about selling any of our cars to get different ones, she always says OK but let's always keep the Model A.

Glen.... loves Lona
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #36
burner31

Pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4mKzs.jpg (44.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg a49c784514b0bc0fe7e5687f195f5c9b.jpg (32.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg CARS.jpg (83.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg images (11).jpg (10.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg wife-auction.jpg (52.6 KB, 37 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #37
nhusa

I'm one of the lucky ones.
Married 49 years.
When my dad's 1919 Model T came to our home she was willing to leave her van out side of the garage but I insisted that my car be outside.
When My Dad's Model A showed up I was thinking I should get it running and sell it until she informed that it was her car and I couldn't.
I figured out how to get the Model A, Model T and her van in the garage.
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #38
JDupuis

My wife Sharon, surprised me with my first Model A for my birthday in 2004. Great old car.
When we were dating, she gave me an Austin Mini for a christmas present. $50 car. Used it as our wedding car 33 years ago. Still have the cars and my wife. Lucky me. Jeff
Old 09-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #39
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin View Post
As a newbie here I'm starting the search for my 1st Model A. Coming back home from a short weekend trip Sunday, I spot a for sale sign on a red 31 wide bed pickup about 90 minutes from home. We stopped to look. Rust free body, good top, no dents, good tires, clean interior, engine sparkled, decent paint but in bad need of a good wax job. I called the seller today. Its a restoration from the late 80s. 5 years ago he had the engine rebuilt .020 over, balanced crank, lightened flywheel, etc. Tells me his wife says he has too many cars and the Model A must go. Asking price? $25,000. Its nice, but I see many nicer offered well under $20K! In a few months I can hear him telling his wife "Honey, I've tried for months, but I just can't find a buyer. I guess I'll have to keep it."
Don't know if you got your answer to your question. The 25K does seem a bit high but it also seems like a good rig. So guess it is your decision to spend the money and enjoy what looks like a nice rig or wait for a less expensive one. Just remember the cheaper ones many need to fix up like brakes, engine tune up and etc. Good luck!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #40
slammin

Fred,
I'm really looking for a Tudor, but I might consider a pickup. The seller is not advertising it anywhere, just has it sitting in front of his property on a moderately traveled state hiway between 2 small Colorado towns, leading me to believe he's not real serious about selling. As they say, price is determined by a will buyer and a willing seller. His asking price is beyond my budget. If nothing else, the thread has generated a lot of interesting discussion.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote