Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2023, 07:29 PM   #1
Brianpfreeman

Default Coupe seat spring replacement parts

Have a seat frame for my 30 coupe. Bottom cushion frame is rusty and have 2 coils broken. Does anyone sell replacement coil springs for the seat? Trying not to buy a new seat assembly if I don’t have to.
Brianpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 07:52 PM   #2
TMarsh

Default Re: Coupe seat spring replacement parts

Snyders
TMarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 08:02 PM   #3
mcgarrett

I think these folks carry seat springs too. You can download their catalog and check...https://restorationstuff.com/
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 08:50 PM   #4
Brianpfreeman

Snyders only showed complete assemblies. I’m looking just a couple coil springs replacements.
Brianpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 09:53 PM   #5
mcgarrett

file:///C:/Users/mcgar/Downloads/RestorationSupplyCompanyCatalog2020%20(1).pdf
Old 02-21-2023, 09:56 PM   #6
mcgarrett

You can check Restoration Supply's catalog. They show individual seat springs on page 46. https://restorationstuff.com/
Old 02-22-2023, 08:03 AM   #7
old31

I would use Snyders. Great products, greast to deal with.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 05:58 PM   #8
Terry, NJ

I have had some success at making these springs out of mattress springs. I was totally surprised when they were both the same width (38" IIRC) BUT, you must be able to MIG weld. And you must have a source of 1/8" wire ,I used election sign wires which must be straightened. The best thing about this is that the mattrress has more coils which makes it somewhat stiffer, For Today's heavier males. Just cut out the mattress spring the old spring as a pattern and bending the 1/8 to match. I think there's pics in my album, "My A" . Good Luck! Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 07:40 PM   #9
rotorwrench

Restoration parts has the spring sizes between 3.5" to 6" in 1/8" wire. They also have the clips and the 9 gauge edge wire for decent prices. There are other companies that deal in upholstery springs, clips, edge wire and the clip crimpers. I wouldn't weld on a spring or edge wire. It takes the temper out. There are other ways to piece things together without any welding. Rusty springs have to have corrosion removed and be primed or painted. Rust can bleed through some fabrics and it weakens the spring if too far gone.

Snyder's earns every dollar they price there product at. They are complicated to build and a person has to stock up on materials and tooling to do that job. If a person isn't planing to get in the trim business then just buy a new set.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 11:23 AM   #10
Terry, NJ

Some guys don't mind buyin', some do! I used clips for most of the connections but I welded the terminations where the wire came back to itself and I put that weld where there would would be no stress on it just for the reason you mentioned. Yes, they would be very complicated to build, that's why I went to a an old mattress spring for starters. The mattress spring had two of the of the dimensions the same , the width (38") and the thickness. Granted, the original spring was tapered to the rear. I used garage door cable to pull it down to duplicate what Henry had originally installed. It fits, it works ! Agreed! Snyder's does a nice job on its product. I bought a front seat back rest ($119)and picked it up at Hershey. They will deliver to shows. I bought the Hog Rings and connectors from a local Body shop supplier. They are US made, Aveco. Less that $10 a box. The Hog Ring pliers you almost have to use. I bought mine in a flea market for about $2. Because of the problems I'm having with this computer and it's picture program. I can't display my pics of the finished piece. BTW I used to earn my groceries by being a Mechanical Model Maker and our thing was to make what we needed, not go out and buy it.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote