Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2015, 07:44 PM   #1
raprice

Default Model A Tires

I need to replace the tires on my '30 Model A coupe. I wonder how many our forum members have Universal Tires on their cars. How reliable and durable are they? I'm also considering Lesters. I know that they are U.S.A. made.
Thanks for the help.
Rog
raprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #2
DougVieyra

Default Re: Model A Tires

I bought a set of Universal tires (21") for my '28 Phaeton about 35 or 40 years ago. I bought them because they had the original Firestone tread/sidewall design of the 1928 Firestone tires. I have been driving on them for about 15 thousand miles and two are in need of replacing, and the other two are not too far behind. While I like the original size (smaller than today's - wrong design - Firestones) of these 40 year old tires, I am disappointed in their short life span. I have had today's modern Firestone tires, on two different cars, which I drove every day for thirty years. They NEVER seem to wear out. Sadly that is not the case with my Universal tires.

At the time I bought my Universal tires (35 years ago) I also bought a set of LESTER tires. However, I never did mount them - they are still in the paper wrappers. So I can not give any testimony to their durability.

But I would LOVE to have a set of the new GoodYear tires - original 1930 design; however, as they are fairly new, they have not yet had a chance to be judged as to their long term durability and wear.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:21 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by raprice View Post
I need to replace the tires on my '30 Model A coupe. I wonder how many our forum members have Universal Tires on their cars. How reliable and durable are they? I'm also considering Lesters. I know that they are U.S.A. made.
Thanks for the help.
Rog

I have them and like them. They out lasted my Firestones by years.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:49 PM   #4
raprice

Thanks fellas.
Rog
raprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:55 AM   #5
inex01

I purchased a set of Lester tires from Universal early last year, the whitewalls kept turning a yellow shade and when I called Universal they told me that the tires were covered under warranty and they offered replacement.

I live in Maryland and they are located a couple of hours drive away so I setup an appointment. When I arrived the service I received was OUTSTANDING! immediately upon my arrival "Mike" asked me to bring my car to the garage door; he then removed the six wheels from my car and immediately began to remove the tires from the rims and install the new replacement tires.

Mike is a real pleasant and decent person and wow can Mike install tires quickly I was out of there in 30 minuets for all six tires!

My new Lester whitewalls are staying nice and white and they provide a real quiet ride. Bottom line I highly recommend Universal because they stand behind their products and are a pleasure to do business with so if in need of tires give them a call.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:59 AM   #6
Patrick L.

My next tires will be radials. Doesn't answer your question though does it.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:03 AM   #7
Charlie Stephens

I have read that Bratton's is the best place to buy the tubes.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:08 AM   #8
Wilbur

I bought a set of 21" Lesters from Universal this past summer and am totally satisfied with them and the company. I mounted mine onto newly powder coated wheels using the plastic bag method. Man, that is the slickest way to do it ever. No tool ever touched my wheels and therefore no chips!
Wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:21 AM   #9
J Witt

Two things: I'm astonished that it's possible to safely drive on really old tires (age, not tread wear). Most modern tires are age limited to 5-7 years.

Second, what is the "plastic bag method" for mounting tires?

John
Old 11-27-2015, 07:25 AM   #10
richsfords

Wilber
I just received 5 BFG tires from Croker and to be put on new powder coated RED rims and I am interested in the plastic bag method, please describe it.
RIchard
richsfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
I bought a set of 21" Lesters from Universal this past summer and am totally satisfied with them and the company. I mounted mine onto newly powder coated wheels using the plastic bag method. Man, that is the slickest way to do it ever. No tool ever touched my wheels and therefore no chips!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Witt View Post
Two things: I'm astonished that it's possible to safely drive on really old tires (age, not tread wear). Most modern tires are age limited to 5-7 years.

Second, what is the "plastic bag method" for mounting tires?

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsfords View Post
Wilber
I just received 5 BFG tires from Croker and to be put on new powder coated RED rims and I am interested in the plastic bag method, please describe it.
RIchard
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2936
Old 11-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #12
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Brattons and Snyders have the same high quality tubes! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #13
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

i am on my second set of Universals. They are only good for 15k approx. I got 19K on them and they are just fine for my daily driver.
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #14
28Ca8149

My 28 roadster That I bought in 1955 from the original owner .Has 174,000 miles on it .It has a second set of tires "Atlas" when I bought it .The spare is still the same tire that came with the car .The first owner said that the Atlas tires weren't as good as the Firestones that came with the car This isn't my dayly driver but I still drive it about 50 miles a year
28Ca8149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #15
JD 1931

I have a set of universal tires on my coupe, 19in. , been over 11yrs and bought them form universal tire and shipped to the house. They are good but price has almost doubled since then..
JD 1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #16
Wilbur

The Plastic Bag Method...I had seen this on You Tube a while ago and took it one better. What a breeze to mount new tires. Go out to a dollar store and buy a box of 55 gallon trash bags, thin mil, such as 1.1 or so.

Bolt the wheel onto your spare tire rack ( if it's on the rear of the car) with the valve stem hole at the top.

Inflate the tube a little bit and dust it with a little baby powder. Put the tube into the tire.

Set the tire onto the wheel, at the top, and get the valve stem into the hole.

Take one of the trash bags and pull it up over the wheel, behind the tire and up as far as you can get it up toward the stem.

Now put a hand on each side of the tire and work it down over the wheel. Put your knee on to get the last little bit to pop on.

The plastic bag is now between the wheel and the tire. Just pull it out and inflate the tire. Done.

Surprising, one cheap-ass bag did all 5 wheels.
Wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote