Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2020, 07:56 PM   #1
mcgarrett

Default '40 Ford carb fine tuning help needed

Stock '40 engine with about 5,000 miles since rebuild. Running correct Ford/Holley 91-99 carb. Can't seem to find the sweet spot. Starts quickly and takes throttle fine, but has slight hesitation off idle and seems to run slightly better when I add some choke even after it has warmed up. Could it be that it needs the float raised to increase float bowl volume to increase flow through the main jets? Just installed a new carb kit with new accelerator pump plunger, gaskets, etc. and all passages were blown out with spray carb cleaner to make sure they were open. Don't know what to do about it running better when I apply some choke, so help is certainly appreciated.
mcgarrett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:06 PM   #2
drolston

Default Re: '40 Ford carb fine tuning help needed

What main jet size are you running? You might need to go to the next larger size.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:11 PM   #3
scicala

Check to make sure the accelerator pump is squirting two streams of fuel with the engine off and looking down the throat when opening the throttle. It should squirt with the slightest movement of the throttle. Sometimes there is slop in the pump link from the throttle lever too, which causes a slight delay and possible hesitation.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
mcgarrett

I'm running #50 main jets. What would be the next larger size? Also, I checked that both nozzles are squirting fuel properly and they seem to be OK.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:11 PM   #5
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
I'm running #50 main jets. What would be the next larger size? Also, I checked that both nozzles are squirting fuel properly and they seem to be OK.
The stock standard, is a 51 jet for the holley with a 6.5 PV. Some variation dependant upon the sea level you are driving at.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:21 PM   #6
mcgarrett

Thanks Phil. I have some #51 main jets. I'll try switching them out and check the power valve too.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:07 AM   #7
fordscript

I have always found that when you get the idle real 'sweet', it will often hesitate when you give it some gas, so then I richen the idle mixture a little, and it seems to cure the problem. might work for you.
fordscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:56 PM   #8
flatjack9

The main jets are not in play at low speed off idle conditions. As noted, try enriching the idle a bit.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:36 PM   #9
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
The main jets are not in play at low speed off idle conditions. As noted, try enriching the idle a bit.
I'm sorry, but do the twin idle screws enrichen the mixture when turned clockwise ? I have twisted these two screws for 25 years to get that sweet spot, but still don't get if they control fuel or air.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:37 AM   #10
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I'm sorry, but do the twin idle screws enrichen the mixture when turned clockwise ? I have twisted these two screws for 25 years to get that sweet spot, but still don't get if they control fuel or air.

The idle screws are needle valves. They open counter clockwise on the idle fuel circuit, directly behind the venturi, which sucks the fuel from that circuit. The further they are opened, the faster the idle within the fuel/air optimal ratio, during and after which point the idle speed adjusting screw is adjusted outward, lowering the idle back down by restricting the air intake. This procedure is done individually on the two idle screw valves, repeating until the highest steady vacuum is achieved, all of which is done on a fully warmed up engine.

All that said, I've had experts improve on my adjustments just by ear, not bothering with a vacuum gauge at all.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #11
flatjack9

They control fuel.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote