Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2022, 06:22 PM   #1
Cool Hand Lurker

Default Difference between 1947 six and flathead radiators

I have a 47 six-cyl radiator I want to put into my 47 coupe that has a flathead. Other than adding another two outlets, is there any difference in dimensions or mounting systems between the two radiators? Are the hoses the same diameter?
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:52 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Difference between 1947 six and flathead radiators

I'd look for a V8 radiator. The 6-cylinder radiators are set up for one water pump and I'm not sure it is reproduced. The V8 radiators are out there new and used but a used one should go out to a real radiator service for tube cleaning before use. It wouldn't be an easy job to modify the 6-cylinder tanks for dual water pump connections.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:05 PM   #3
Cool Hand Lurker

Luckily, I found a six cyl radiator that is in 'as new' condition. It looks new inside and outside as far as condition. I can add an outlet on the bottom tank very easily but the top tank is shaped a little differently and will involve a bit of creative metal work.

The alternative to adding an outlet to the top tank is to find another tank for a V8 and replace the single outlet upper tank with that one. Logic tells me that the car's radiator mounting system should take either radiator no matter if it is 6 or 8 cylinder engine. I think the only difference would be four outlets instead of two outlets and they are not involved in the mounting. But I could be wrong and don't want to find that out after every thing has been ripped apart already.
Has anybody already done this?
Old 02-01-2022, 08:13 PM   #4
paul2748

I don't know about the 47 V8 vs 6 difference, but most 6 cylinder radiators were in a more forward position than V8's so the mounting panels may be different.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:54 PM   #5
GB SISSON

Everything is the same for mounting. I am deep into this as we write. I just dropped a six in an 8 truck. Yes, there are two locations for the radiator support, but that's irrelevent to you. The flanges and all mounts are identical. Just stub in the extra outlets unless you are going for points at a judging. A nice clean copper and brass radiator doesn't fall from the sky every day!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:23 AM   #6
flatford8

Have you thought of selling the one for the six, and buying a new one that fits your application. I don’t believe “new” six cyl. rads show up everyday and it could be quite valuable. It would be a shame to modify an original part in good condition. JMO……Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:23 AM   #7
38 coupe

The car radiators for 6 and V8 are totally different. The 6 radiator is narrower, taller, and fits way further into the grill area than the V8 radiator. Using a 6 car radiator is a terrible idea with a V8.
The truck radiators for 6 and V8 are pretty much the same with the only real difference being the single inlet and outlet vs dual inlet and outlet.
You said you have a coupe to put the radiator in, but you didn't clarify which 6 cylinder radiator you have.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:15 AM   #8
bill h

The sheet metal that goes above and below the rad is all different. The 6 cly. rad mounts way ahead of where the v8 rad sits.
bill h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 03:50 PM   #9
Cool Hand Lurker

Advice well taken. I measured up the 6 cyl radiator and it won't work so I found a correct V8 radiator on Fordbarn.

Anybody need a nice 6 cyl radiator.... ?

Thanks, everybody!