Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2015, 07:36 AM   #1
SofaKing

Default Open Letter to Mac’s

Yesterday, I ordered 4 small parts that I need before reinstalling the drivetrain in my truck. I checked my e-mail inbox because it is a wasteland of almost daily exhortations from you and every other company to stop what I am doing and send you a bunch of money so that I can get a small discount. As usual, all the email offers from you were expired or had too high a minimum order and were therefore useless to me. I placed my order last evening with the knowledge that I was paying 40% more on 2 of the parts that could be obtained elsewhere because elsewhere did not carry the other two parts so any savings would be lost on shipping and fondling charges from two places instead of one. I also placed the order knowing that 25% of the cost of the transaction was shipping and fondling which seems extortionary but there you are. I woke up this morning at 0400 to join the rest of the wage-slaves in the sale of my life to the highest bidder and while checking my inbox to verify my order was received, I found an e-mail offering up to 16% off of anything with no minimum order, today only. Normally, I prefer not to get kicked in the balls before my first cup of coffee. To that end, I would like to kindly request that you adjust the “auto-insult” level of the spamming feature on your email system down from “infuriating” to “mildly vexing” or even “hollow appreciation”. Like all the other junkies, I will still need to avail myself of your services to get my “fix” but maybe I won’t resent you quite as much for pimping me.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:43 AM   #2
mike42

Default Re: Open Letter to Mac’s

Geez SofaKing.....can't you be a little more direct and stop the beating around the bush !! LOL

Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:54 AM   #3
Talkwrench

Humiliating kick in the crutch all via the computer ... Ah the pain the pain...
Old 07-15-2015, 08:15 AM   #4
Mike51Merc

I'll sign that letter.
How about "15% discount on all weather stripping", but when I load my shopping cart, MY choice of weather stripping only qualifies for 5% discount. What is it about the word "all" that you guys don't get?
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #5
jerseyboy

Bitter, but amusing and well written.

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #6
texas webb

Did you send this to the fellow that posts here?Goes by Ecklers.Great post.
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #7
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKing View Post
Yesterday, I ordered 4 small parts that I need before reinstalling the drivetrain in my truck. I checked my e-mail inbox because it is a wasteland of almost daily exhortations from you and every other company to stop what I am doing and send you a bunch of money so that I can get a small discount. As usual, all the email offers from you were expired or had too high a minimum order and were therefore useless to me. I placed my order last evening with the knowledge that I was paying 40% more on 2 of the parts that could be obtained elsewhere because elsewhere did not carry the other two parts so any savings would be lost on shipping and fondling charges from two places instead of one. I also placed the order knowing that 25% of the cost of the transaction was shipping and fondling which seems extortionary but there you are. I woke up this morning at 0400 to join the rest of the wage-slaves in the sale of my life to the highest bidder and while checking my inbox to verify my order was received, I found an e-mail offering up to 16% off of anything with no minimum order, today only. Normally, I prefer not to get kicked in the balls before my first cup of coffee. To that end, I would like to kindly request that you adjust the “auto-insult” level of the spamming feature on your email system down from “infuriating” to “mildly vexing” or even “hollow appreciation”. Like all the other junkies, I will still need to avail myself of your services to get my “fix” but maybe I won’t resent you quite as much for pimping me.
I enjoy your literary poise. The content? Sad in its factual reality.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:30 AM   #8
green50

I like it! Very creative and gets the point across.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:14 AM   #9
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

Wish the font size was larger, my eyes are tearing. Enjoyed the read though.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:23 AM   #10
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKing View Post
Switch to gmail. It automatically puts business related emails into a separate folder you don't have to look at. They have the best spam filter I know of!

Last edited by mrtexas; 07-15-2015 at 10:44 AM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #11
zzlegend

Here you go SofaKing.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...=scott+ecklers
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:05 AM   #12
SofaKing

I have heard humor described as “someone else’s pain” and I made myself laugh when I started this thread and thought others would find it amusing as well. I’ve got no complaint about terms of the deal, I made a decision in the marketplace with full knowledge. My complaint is the timing of the discount offer always follows a purchase order. This renders it both useless and insulting; useless because if I just placed an order it is reasonable to assume I ordered that which I currently need, so however much I might appreciate a discount, its too late. It is insulting because the timing assumes I am an idiot who was either too stupid to order what I currently need all at once, or stupid enough to buy more that I don’t currently need because it’s now on sale. Actually, I have had good luck in general with Mac’s, but this morning’s email from them went over like a turd in a punchbowl. If they want to garner a little positive PR, how about randomly applying these discounts to orders retroactively, maybe to 1 order out of every 100 orders, or 1 in 1000? Everybody likes that kind of surprise.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #13
Barry-ct

So true and so sad what they do..... I swear the emails they send out are written by lawyers so they can bamboozle you. It's the old bait and switch game updated, offer something at a good price, but your order never seems to qualify for the discount. When I order, I try to find it anywhere else than the big guys first. They are my last resort. I'll pay a little more and get straight forward info from them. Don't try to screw me by blind siding me with BS, I can see through it. Be honest and you 'll get my business!

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:12 AM   #14
Rowdy
BANNED

I avoid Macs at all costs. Too many junk parts in my one and only order from them, not to mention the shipping cost. Then wanted to charge me a restocking fee to return the junk, like it was my fault the parts were bad.Rod
Old 07-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #15
hotcoupe

or, maybe you can beat them at their own game . . . order one part on your list and then after their e-mail announcing the BIG discount - order all the other items that you need. it won`t work for me, i avoid Mac`s like the plague.
tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:40 AM   #16
GreenMonster48

I got the 3 card Monty switcharoo from speedway a few months ago. Free shipping when you register your email address. Somehow I didn't end up qualifying. Too bad, they missed out on about $400..
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #17
Tony, NY

Since I live in the once great state of NY, I get to pay 8% sales tax on top of it. Then I noticed there was sales tax on the shipping charge too. That was it. I canceled my online order.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #18
Tim Ayers

Internet commerce has certainly been a game changer. I'd be surprised if the salesperson had any idea of the impending sale that was being sent to you via e-mail the next day.

It seems like on-line companies are having these "special" sales more and more frequently. What stemmed from a one day Cyber Monday the week after Thanksgiving has given way to a weekly Cyber Monday-Friday of some sort.

If anything, the take away is wait for a sale flyer before placing an order. In your case, you knew that ordering from a particular vendor had an upcharge, but they also had the other parts that would have required you to place two separate orders from two different companies.

Sometimes I long for the days of brick and mortar or having to actually pick up the phone and talk to human in order to place an order. It seemed to work a bit smoother, albeit a little slower.

Sorry about how it turned out, but I'm curious if you actually called them to see if they'd honor the coupon even though you ordered the day before it went into effect?

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 07-15-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #19
mtelow

Im tired of companies, including Macs, making money on the shipping costs.
mtelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:05 PM   #20
Mike51Merc

SofaKing,
For what it's worth, I also got the emailed 16% discount (read "up to 16%", whatever that means), so on your part it was just a coincidence and not a planned insult.

Nonetheless, I too get tired of the hokey games they play with markups and discounts.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote