Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
supergnat

Default Caused radiator to leak

I think I caused my radiator to develop leaks. Now, how do I fix them?

After reading the posts about the dangers of continuing to use the original steel fan blade I decided to replace mine. I had a few minor difficulties but completed the fan replacement. After taking the car out for 30 mile drive yesterday I discovered that I now have two leaks at the top of the radiator where the radiator support rods attach (see photo). How do I fix that? Can I solder around the mounting bracket using a Weller solder gun? Can I use a propane torch (which I doubt)? Should I use rosen core solder?

That is not all unfortunately. I had a stubborn leak at the base of the radiator hose where it connects to the water outlet pipe. I finally thought I fixed it by adding a second hose clamp just below the original one. I did try moving the original clamp to different locations but still had the leak until I added the second clamp. This morning I discovered the same hose is leaking again even with the two clamps. I cut the hose to remove it and investigate. The top of the pipe appears to have some damage (see photo). If I clean the outlet pipe up is it still usable? Could I have a 30-31 pipe on the car since it doesn’t appear to line-up correctly with the radiator inlet connection (see photo)? Bratton’s catalog says the pipe on the 28 should be 5 3/8 inches in height. Mine measures that if I measure from the top of the bolt flange to the top of the pipe; so maybe it is correct.

Any guidance you can provide would be appreciated.
Supergnat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Outlet pipe damage.jpg (53.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Outlet pipe to radiator inlet alignment.jpg (60.5 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Radiator leak site.jpg (54.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Water outlet neck.jpg (62.7 KB, 91 views)
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Caused radiator to leak

You have the wrong neck on there, and it's in bad shape anyway; just replace it with the correct one. Don't try to measure it, the measuring thing is confusing; just order a 28-29 neck.

I have successfully soldered radiators with a torch, but they were out of the car. I don't think a Weller gun will generate enough heat for the job, but I've never tried to use one there.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
RonC

you can use solder seal stop leak for the radiator for now

http://www.autoparts2020.com/rsdev/p...T_HDR_ID=84493
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Richard Wilson

A little Permatex #2 will go a long way to seal up all the pits in the radiator neck when reinstalling the hose. I doubt a solder gun for electric wiring would do anything for soldering the radiator. Personally I would take out the radiator and have a professional shop resolder it.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Look for HUGE electric soldering irons at garage sales. I have Chief's old iron. After cleaning & tinning the area, I actually soldered a new filler neck onto my radiator!!
With a good tinning powder & plenty of heat, it's amazing what you can accomplish!
To keep the surfaces of the iron clean while not being used, I melted some solder in the bottom of a 1" diameter metal can, just stick the hot iron in & let it melt in, & unplug! Next use, just plug in until it's hot, pull 'er out & it's shiny clean. Bill W.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
700rpm

[QUOTE=BILL WILLIAMSON;468119]Look for HUGE electric soldering irons at garage sales.

The guy probably wants to get his car back on the road this summer rather than search through garage sale junk for a year for more to find a soldering iron that will do the job. Just a guess.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
CarlG

When I started using these clamps, I quit having hose leaks:
And I never use a gasket under the goose neck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hose clamp.jpg (23.2 KB, 12 views)
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
Bruce,Upstate NY

Jeff, I don't recommend the thick gaskets. Really thin ones, or none at all, don't let the ears break off while torqueing. Just a super thin coat of sealer on a clean surface is all that's necessaey.
Bruce,Upstate NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
murry29

to do the job right, your goint to have to remove the raidor support rod holders on the raidor. Sand the brass clean, then sauter. test raidor for leaks then reauter the raidor support rods back on
murry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:15 AM   #10
supergnat

Default Re: Caused radiator to leak - LEAK FIXED

Thanks everyone. I ordered most of the parts I needed from Brattons but had to order the neck from Berts since the neck was out of stock at Brattons. I get parts from Brattons the next day but Berts will take longer to get here from Denver. I really want to get it back on the road.

Bill W. - I have one of those old soldering irons and will give that a try. If I can't solder it I will just get it re built. There is a lot of loose rust visible when looking in the top of the radiator.

RonC - I am concerned what a sealer might do to the internals of my engine but thanks for the suggestion.

I'll post my progress.
Thanks,
Supergnat

Last edited by supergnat; 08-10-2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Fixed leak
Old 08-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
supergnat

Thanks to all who provided guidance. I ended-up using a propane torch to solder the radiator. I bought a new neck, hoses, and also had to buy new support rods. Installed everything yesterday and took the car out for a 20 mile run. No more leaks.
Thanks again.