Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-08-2021, 05:51 PM   #21
tubman

Default Re: Vacuum guage

Yes, right (American passenger) side. Number one cylinder is usually located at 6 o'clock on the distributor cap (see image). If the distributor is "clocked" wrong and the wires plugged in differently, it may still run, but it's a good idea to set things up the way Ford originally intended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49_-_53_flathead_wiring.jpg (38.6 KB, 15 views)
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:22 AM   #22
miniceptor86

Thanks Tubman, another piece of good info.
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:51 AM   #23
miniceptor86

Well it runs, I drive it regularly but I find that #1 is at the 12 o’clock and the #6 is at the 6 o’clock. The vacuum diaphragm is in front of the distributor with the port facing center line. What to do? Is the distributor 180 out of time. Trying to reason this out.
Old 11-09-2021, 09:56 AM   #24
tubman

Since the distributor turns at one half engine speed, you are only 90 degrees out, but it really doesn't matter. The first thing you should do is to reinstall the distributor in the proper position and move the wires to their proper positions and then re-time the engine. It's a tiresome procedure, but you'll be glad you did it.

This brings up another question. If the distributor is installed out of position, with the vacuum can positioned as you say, how do you have the vacuum line connected to the back of the carburetor? A different line, a rubber hose, or perhaps not connected properly? All of this needs to be reviewed.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:00 AM   #25
miniceptor86

I established TDC using a cable tie as a stop. It’s right next to the “pimple”. My the rotor is pointing close to the 6 o’clock. My spark plug wires starting a the 6 o’clock and going clockwise are 6 3 7 2 1 5 4 8.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:02 AM   #26
miniceptor86

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Since the distributor turns at one half engine speed, you are only 90 degrees out, but it really doesn't matter. The first thing you should do is to reinstall the distributor in the proper position and move the wires to their proper positions and then re-time the engine. It's a tiresome procedure, but you'll be glad you did it.

This brings up another question. If the distributor is installed out of position, with the vacuum can positioned as you say, how do you have the vacuum line connected to the back of the carburetor? A different line, a rubber hose, or perhaps not connected properly? All of this needs to be reviewed.
I have the vacuum hooked to the upper port on the carb via a rubber vacuum hose.
Old 11-09-2021, 03:52 PM   #27
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniceptor86 View Post
I established TDC using a cable tie as a stop. It’s right next to the “pimple”. My the rotor is pointing close to the 6 o’clock. My spark plug wires starting a the 6 o’clock and going clockwise are 6 3 7 2 1 5 4 8.
Your #1 piston is on the exhaust stroke when the rotor is as you describe. If you turn the engine one revolution, you will be on the compression stroke and the rotor will point to the #1 wire in the cap.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:17 PM   #28
miniceptor86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
Your #1 piston is on the exhaust stroke when the rotor is as you describe. If you turn the engine one revolution, you will be on the compression stroke and the rotor will point to the #1 wire in the cap.
Yes. If I turn it to TDC on the compression stroke the rotor will be at the 12 o’clock position where the number 1 cylinder wire is. So the distributor shaft is 180 degrees out of position.

When I pull the distributor is there anything I should check on it?
Old 11-10-2021, 09:26 AM   #29
40cpe

If it is running now, it should run when repositioned. When you reinstall the distributor with the advance canister at he 12 o'clock position, point the rotor at the 6 o'clock position. Because of the slant of the cam and distributor drive gears, you might have to rotate the position of the rotor a little going in so it lines up when seated. After you reinstall the #1 plug wire to the 6 o'clock position, carefully move the others going by the firing order.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:32 AM   #30
tubman

While you're at it, I would strongly suggest that you get the proper hard line that runs between the carburetor and distributor. The vacuum signal to the distributor is quite low and any leaks (the rubber hose or perhaps incorrect fittings) could adversely affect proper distributor operation.

They are easy to find; here's one example that took me 15 seconds : https://www.ebay.com/itm/402056901374.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:10 PM   #31
miniceptor86

Got’er done! Timing set, I see advance just off idle, set the idle at 600. Also fixed the side slop in the accelerator with a new hinge bolt and a slotted guide at the rather large hole in the floor board. I’ll look into the hard line for the vacuum advance. Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:57 PM   #32
tubman

Glad to see you got it all straightened out.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:31 PM   #33
miniceptor86

Off to a new adventure!