Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2021, 10:04 PM   #1
Eagle43

Default Windshield Polishing

Does anyone have any experience in polishing windshield glass? I'm restoring a 1952 F-1. I have the glass out and I've just about finished painting the vehicle and am ready to reinstall with new rubber etc. The windshield is in good shape except for wiper scratches on the passenger side. I'm hoping to reused this windshield and wondered if anyone has had any luck fixing a scratched windshield like this. There are a lot of YouTube videos but none seem to really address this situation. Any advise would be much appreciated.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:44 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Windshield Polishing

We’ll, you sure asked that question in the right place. Yes, I have that experience you inquire about. The original windshield on my ‘38 was so badly etched, apparently from a sand storm, together with half moon wiper scratches on both sides. I got the Eastwood kit, and used a variable speed drill on slow with the polishing buff. You have your windshield out, which should prove easier than my task with a split windshield still on the car, my job was done and the mess cleaned up before sunset that same day. No more half moons, no more etched windshield. Advice: don’t let it get warm, keep it going slow, and plenty lubed with the compound.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:52 PM   #3
Eagle43

Thanks. I checked out the Eastwood kit. I think it would be cheaper for me to just get a new one cut. It's just a sheet of flat safety glass. The last windshield I got cut about four years ago cost me around $100 and that included installing the glass in a frame for a 1929 Whippet. The kit is $68 USD or $107 CAD plus shipping. I'd like to experiment with cheaper solutions. Right now I'm in the process of polishing the paint and I wonder if wet sanding with 2000 grit and polishing compound would work as on paint.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:19 AM   #4
chap52

If you have a place to get a new one cut I would first try to polish it out and see what you have after your done. Check You Tube there are a few posts on polishing out windshields. Again, be careful not to get it too hot. Worth the effort... Enjoy the adventure... Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:41 AM   #5
slowforty

If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail, it may be too far gone to polish. If you do polish the scratch out, there will be a wave in the glass
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:19 AM   #6
Jacques1960

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
+1 on Slowforty comment; if you can feel it, move on
Old 11-05-2021, 08:29 AM   #7
19Fordy

Best to install a new glass as suggested.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:56 PM   #8
my4dv8

I did our 54 rear glass with an Eastwood kit, deep scratches on the outside. Very tedious task. Yes it worked , but the corner was a little wavy. So on a flat windscreen, replacement is a better option.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:02 PM   #9
Kube

Rule of thumb? If you can feel the scratch, it's too deep to remove by polishing. Flat glass is very reasonable to purchase new. Find a decent glass shop (not one that advertises on TV) near you...
Old 11-06-2021, 06:52 AM   #10
flatmotor40

Tried that Eastwood kit not too good but my windows had a few scratches in it
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:18 PM   #11
Eagle43

Just an update on my windshield polishing saga. I did bring my windshield to a local glass company to get a new one cut. I had had them cut glass for my last two projects and I found their prices very reasonable at the time. Therefore I suffered a severe case of "sticker shock" when they quoted me a price this time. Consequently I took my windshield home and proceeded to Plan B. I purchased some fine grade cerium oxide powder and a 7" felt disk for $25.00 delivered to my door. Today I tackled the polishing job. I mounted the felt disk on my 7" angle grinder/polisher and set the speed at fairly low speed. I squirted some water on the glass and felt pad and sprinkled on a bit of powder and went at it, repeating the procedure as required. It worked really well and I polished all surfaces including the door glass. I got the wiper half moons out but didn't attempt to get the deep scratches out. Somewhere I have diamond disks that I used for polishing a concrete countertop. I hoped to use these to smooth out some rough edges but I haven't been able to locate them at this point. I think I'm calling this a success and I only spent an hour or so doing it.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:50 AM   #12
ford38v8

I’m glad you took my advice and made a success of it. There most definitely is something to be said for restoration over replacement in my book.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:35 PM   #13
fordor41

Hope you don't have concrete powder imbedded in the diamond disc. May be a mistake
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:52 PM   #14
Eagle43

I've located my diamond disks. One of my kids borrowed them. I'm just going to try to clean up some chipped edges with the finest grade. I'll share the results - maybe.