Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2021, 11:31 PM   #21
Tinker

Default Re: New Guy with a 38 Pickup

We have no idea how life will turn out for us. Life is what happens when you are making plans. Think that is John Lennon. It doesn't matter really whom said it. It only matters what you do when you are here, and then it doesn't really matter! My only personal condition is to leave this earth/life better then I came into it. When ever that is... might be a long time.

Sorry ab0uot your father, I hope your are well. Welcome to the fordbarn

Last edited by Tinker; 09-28-2021 at 11:43 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:46 PM   #22
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
One more since everyone likes pics - my dad in the early 90's with the truck :

Attachment 474314

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:52 PM   #23
psykokid

One question about the hood ornament - is it a direct swap between the 38 / 39 style? If so then i'll have to keep an eye out for the correct one for my truck..
psykokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:03 AM   #24
Tinker

38 grill, dash, and hood ornament is a one of ford year. To be bold it's not something I would worry about.

Know what condition your condition is in...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dooSFIvLn-Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AULOC--qUOI
Old 09-29-2021, 01:16 AM   #25
Graeme / New Zealand

Welcome from New Zealand at the "ass end of the world". Real nice "barrel nose".

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:31 AM   #26
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
Welcome from New Zealand at the "ass end of the world". Real nice "barrel nose".

GB

Ass end or the frontier. Don't sell your sell short brother.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:13 AM   #27
Clem Clement

Love your '38 pickup. I have a '39. too much fun to drive. Parts are out there. Many of mine came from Hershey. Carpenter helped me with parts. At one time he had NOS front spring sets. I replaced the old brake lines. They had been done before. Carpenter had the set of fittings needs and I bought pre cut lines of different lengths and had no problems. Fordbarn part sales are very helpful as well. A great accessory is the sliding rear window set up. Easy to install and it keeps the cockpit cooler. There are gears available for the windshield crank. Tyre Harris makes a find wiring harness set. If you can find a 39 transmission. I believe the 38 has straight gears(??)
Enjoy.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:16 AM   #28
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Some keen eyes here.
The rears are drums, also in 5x4.75 but other than that I haven't managed to figure out what rear axle it is as of yet.

Man, it's hard to confuse that rear end as anything other than a likely '57 Chevy, especially going by that drain plug under the center section (first year for the plug). This picture shows the remnants of the parallel leaf spring pads found on a '57. The 3rd member is definite '55-'64, & that 4-3/4" wheel bolt pattern was also common to the Chevys of that vintage. Even that brake hose bracket is in the right location. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:49 AM   #29
sugarmaker

Jake,
Welcome! Awesome family truck! Your dad is smiling at you from above! Great that your able to drive this after setting so long too. Have loads of fun with it. Good pictures also!
Looking forward to your progress!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:14 AM   #30
cubflyer

Condolences to your dad like my dad he would enjoy your truck as much as he would’ve enjoyed my truck great pictures and not all trucks have to look like a show truck I think mine looks great to I likem all natural welcome to the barn need anything for that 38 holler Cubflyer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC95D4B6-324E-4671-9888-81DDECC2506D.jpg (48.2 KB, 115 views)
cubflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:41 AM   #31
38bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
38 grill, dash, and hood ornament is a one of ford year. To be bold it's not something I would worry about.

Know what condition your condition is in...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dooSFIvLn-Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AULOC--qUOI
I agree. Unless you are interested in going back to total stock don't worry about it. Heck I have a '39 grill on my '38.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:52 AM   #32
51504bat

When I got my '39 it didn't have the hood ornament/latch assembly. I was able to get bits here and there with help of some Barner's. Not sure if it's '38 or '39 or a combo but it works. My advice is if yours works don't F with it. Getting mine assembled and working was a real PITA. If you're thinking about changing the rear end one from a CJ7 is about the right width and it has a 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern. Just something to consider.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:02 PM   #33
psykokid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
When I got my '39 it didn't have the hood ornament/latch assembly. I was able to get bits here and there with help of some Barner's. Not sure if it's '38 or '39 or a combo but it works. My advice is if yours works don't F with it. Getting mine assembled and working was a real PITA. If you're thinking about changing the rear end one from a CJ7 is about the right width and it has a 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern. Just something to consider.
Yes the hood latch works, but its far from stock - I'll take some pics of the current setup on the underside of the hood. From looking at some older posts on here with good detail shots of the latch mechanism It doesn't have the latch plate that is held in with spilt pins, and has some odd holes that were burned into the sheet metal with a cutting torch at one time or another.

Whomever did the ladder bar setup back in the day must have welded back with flux core or no shielding gas since its got pigeon crap welds all along the brackets where the ladder bars attach to the axle tube. There is a crack in the bottom of the axle tube on the passenger side, as evidenced by the moist spot on the pic of the rear end above. Might be able to pull it from the car and weld up the crack after everything is cleaned. If not I'll probably get a fabricated 9" rear end and put a 4 link rear suspension in there. Ladder bars are great for going fast in a straight line and that's about it..
Old 09-29-2021, 01:07 PM   #34
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubflyer View Post
Condolences to your dad like my dad he would enjoy your truck as much as he would’ve enjoyed my truck great pictures and not all trucks have to look like a show truck I think mine looks great to I likem all natural welcome to the barn need anything for that 38 holler Cubflyer

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 09-29-2021, 02:50 PM   #35
psykokid

It's been great so far - went out with my son on Friday night and cruised around a bit, that's when I shot the pic in front of the Theatre. I remember driving around with my dad in the truck when I was about his age, 17. I grew up near St. Louis and didn't get to spend a lot of time with my dad growing up as he lived out here on the west coast and he and my mom weren't on the best of terms. My son is getting a kick out of the truck and has been helping me with all the little tasks to get it back on the road. I got my Dad's double stack toolbox after he passed. He engraved his nickname on his screwdrivers so they didn't grow legs. Makes me feel happy that we're using the same tools that my dad had used to work on the truck.

IMG_20180524_071948.jpg

Dad was an airborne engineer in the army, did a stint with the 1/509th ABCT CSC in Vincenza in the early 80's before the unit was reflagged to the 4/325th. After he got out of the army he settled near Yosemite and did work logging and on heavy equipment. After that petered out in the early 2000's he starting working with a guy that runs a mining equipment company that makes everything here in the US, Proline Mining, which was located just down the street from his house.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:12 PM   #36
petehoovie

Quote:
I got my Dad's double stack toolbox after he passed. He engraved his nickname on his screwdrivers so they didn't grow legs. Makes me feel happy that we're using the same tools that my dad had used to work on the truck.

Old 09-29-2021, 11:28 PM   #37
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Ass end or the frontier. Don't sell your sell short brother.
Well its down at the bottom half of the globe Tink (not "the hole").

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:27 AM   #38
johnh7

It is a 1938 grill it just doesn't have the stainless center piece. the 39 had the grill bars touching in the center the 38 has a space down both sides of the center. It is an easy mistake to make.

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
johnh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:26 PM   #39
psykokid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
When I got my '39 it didn't have the hood ornament/latch assembly. I was able to get bits here and there with help of some Barner's. Not sure if it's '38 or '39 or a combo but it works. My advice is if yours works don't F with it. Getting mine assembled and working was a real PITA.
Finally had a second to shoot a pic of the underside of my hood latch assembly - It locks closed when the latch is in the closed position by the notched cam of the latch sliding over and engaging on the pin in the shroud / grill surround, but it sure isn't pretty. Not sure what someone was doing when they were in there - past sins and all...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211003_195109.jpg (59.8 KB, 57 views)
Old 10-05-2021, 05:40 PM   #40
alanwoodieman

blow up and print out the picture of your Dad and the truck and hang it on the garage wall, he will always be a part of you, his grandson and the truck's next adventure.
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote