Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-11-2021, 12:15 AM   #21
GB SISSON

Default Re: Driving season is coming soon (I hope)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
March 9th in Northern Minnesota. Tempted today at 65. But snow next week. lake usually doesn't open till april. But running the old ford in snow sounds good too. Think most of the salt is washed off, mud can be washed off too this time of year. Guess I'm just being lazy or not wanting to have salt everywhere.

I lived in New England for seven 'formative automobile years'. Age 14 to age 21. Everything I could afford was rusty. Snapped off so many bolts. No torch, no shop. Pop riveted aluminum sheet rocker panels onto cars even used formica scraps. When the pop rivets wouldn't hold, a fender washer back there was essential. Now that I returned to my home state 45 years ago I would NEVER drive any of my beloved fords anywhere near salt. I live on an island but it's way different. Sometimes salt spray washes on the main road at high tide in a SE wind and to the dismay of all others in the vehicle, I turn around and take the long way around. Once salt gets into a folded seam, it's good night Irene.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:47 AM   #22
David J

Not time yet but this will be the one again this summer .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mikeys tub going in basement .jpg (65.2 KB, 47 views)
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:30 AM   #23
dan35

waiting for clean roads to take out my 35 3 window
dan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:17 AM   #24
Bored&Stroked

I've already had my 32 Cabriolet out twice in the last few weeks. Once when it was about 40 degrees out and two nights ago when it was 60 degrees. Was so nice to be back in my old Ford - listening to the music of my uncorked headers! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:37 PM   #25
pistonbroke

Back to driving something fun, Patty and I are taking the 46 Cadillac out for a drive to the next town ,about 30 mile away this evening for a dinner date. We had the snow, we had the rain and now however briefly we have the sun in Olympia. Mr. Sisson . That video of your old red 46 got me through the winter. Thank you,Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:36 PM   #26
pistonbroke

oops!
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:45 PM   #27
Ken/Alabama

Supposed to be 80 degrees here tomorrow. One good thing is we never have salt on the roads not even in the cold weather. Drive my 40s year round.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:07 PM   #28
Hal Beatty

Had my '40 out this afternoon, just a quick 20 mile run to check things after winter maint.
First time it's run since last November...
Hal Beatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:18 PM   #29
Straightpipes

I run around locally most all year with my 34 pickup. Why not. They drove them before they had anything else. Of course, I don't know what # it is but I do carry concrete blocks and fence posts in it. I have a very nice 34 sedan parked for the winter.
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:17 PM   #30
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpipes View Post
I run around locally most all year with my 34 pickup. Why not. They drove them before they had anything else. Of course, I don't know what # it is but I do carry concrete blocks and fence posts in it. I have a very nice 34 sedan parked for the winter.
If I had a 34 pickup I'd keep it garaged up in the winter and drive my 34 coupe in the salt. Just sayin'... some folks like some stuff better 'n others.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:19 AM   #31
Tinker

All the snow was gone 2 days ago here. Salt was almost washed of the roads. A fresh snow and more on monday. Well they are not speading salt now this late in the winter, so maybe. Once that stuff gets round the chassis it's impossible to get rid of. Typical march stuff. A little snow this late is great for the farm fields.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:17 AM   #32
jrvariel48

I drive mine all year long as long as it's not raining and there's no salt on the road.
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:00 AM   #33
Jeff/Illinois

NW Illinois we hit 70 two days in a row. 15" of snow and ice we got in February is now all gone.

BUT roads still a mess here. We only got .2 inches of rain Wed. nite not near enough to wash the roads off, so I will be waiting a little more yet. You can still see the white salt residue on the roads.

Cold next week high's of 40 lows upper 20's. IDOT will be out pouring tons of salt on the roads again they like the OT and they want to boost their pensions. If there is a slight frost they are out in droves.

Kube NICE Roadster love it Mercman love your '34 also!!!!! Sharp cars.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:26 AM   #34
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
NW Illinois we hit 70 two days in a row. 15" of snow and ice we got in February is now all gone.

BUT roads still a mess here. We only got .2 inches of rain Wed. nite not near enough to wash the roads off, so I will be waiting a little more yet. You can still see the white salt residue on the roads.

Cold next week high's of 40 lows upper 20's. IDOT will be out pouring tons of salt on the roads again they like the OT and they want to boost their pensions. If there is a slight frost they are out in droves.

Kube NICE Roadster love it Mercman love your '34 also!!!!! Sharp cars.
Hey Jeff, We live fairly close to each other. Around here it seems as if once the salt has been washed off the streets (from 2020/21 season) there is snow in the forecast - 2021/22 season.

I don't think it is humanly possible to put down any more salt than is typically done.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #35
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
All the snow was gone 2 days ago here. Salt was almost washed of the roads. A fresh snow and more on monday. Well they are not speading salt now this late in the winter, so maybe. Once that stuff gets round the chassis it's impossible to get rid of. Typical march stuff. A little snow this late is great for the farm fields.

I was taught at any early age to wait until I see worms on the street... then a guy knows the salt is gone.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:05 PM   #36
johndee138

[ATTACH]458180[/ATTACH
This beauty is waiting for me to get her out of the garage in Maine, Prolly won't happen till May at the earliest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rollete full side field in Maine view.jpg (40.8 KB, 73 views)
johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:36 PM   #37
Merc Cruzer

I guess this means I won't be taking her out this weekend. I live in Conifer, Colorado
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weather report.jpg (21.7 KB, 15 views)
Merc Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:16 PM   #38
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndee138 View Post
[ATTACH]458180[/ATTACH
This beauty is waiting for me to get her out of the garage in Maine, Prolly won't happen till May at the earliest

Ooh, Oooh......Is that a Packard grill I'm seeing there? I like those side panel spears, too! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:32 PM   #39
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Hey Jeff, We live fairly close to each other. Around here it seems as if once the salt has been washed off the streets (from 2020/21 season) there is snow in the forecast - 2021/22 season.

I don't think it is humanly possible to put down any more salt than is typically done.
Man ya gots dat right!! And after they go nuts throwing salt around the news people come on all worried-looking like, and tell you 'They are running out of salt there is a shortage' trying to frighten the masses I guess.

We live just south of the Quad Cities (Moline-Rock Island-Davenport) and when we'd get a 4-6 inch snow you guys up your way were getting 12-15 inch snows. The big snows track west to east along the Illinois/Wisconsin border area it seems!! Tornado watches were out Wed. nite they stayed over in Iowa and angled up into Minnesota.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:33 PM   #40
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
I guess this means I won't be taking her out this weekend. I live in Conifer, Colorado
YIKES