Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2020, 07:46 PM   #1
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Gas Tank Problem

As most of you know, I am building a 40 Pickup but my frame is a 35-36. I had purchased a 40 tank but I cannot remove it from underneath using the procedure we all know because of the frame difference and perhaps the parallel leaf suspension but I have gotten to test that yet ....

My question is if I got a 36 tank, can I remove it from underneath with the 40 pickup bed? I am concerned about where the neck is in relationship to the 40 pickup bed neck opening. Will I have to modify anything? I know it angles towards the back due to the gas fill being by the coupe driver side rear light. Is the 36 truck any different?

Any help you can give would be appreciated.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:15 PM   #2
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: Gas Tank Problem

I solved my gas tank issue and it turns out it was of my own doing. I am installing a class III hitch on the truck to pull a small rv. It only weighs about 2200 lbs fully loaded but I am trying to make it strong enough for 3000 lbs giving myself sone wiggle room.

To this end I had massaged 1/4” plate along the outside of the frame rail up to the rear crossmember as part of the hitch setup. But, where the tank neck goes under the bedside, the 1/4” plate was above the frame rail and did not allow me to move the tank enough to the driver side so it would clear the passenger frame rail. Once it was trimmed, it went in and out no problem.

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate it! And thank you to my friend HamtownAl as when we talked the problem over, I realized what I had done wrong. Thanks Al for listening!

Kube - thank you for your pm’s. I really appreciate it!

Last edited by TomT/Williamsburg; 11-14-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:04 PM   #3
Charlie ny
BANNED

Tom,
If it is a Drake tank and is like my Drake tank it is the tank, it's too wide....the weld 'lip' won't pass thru the frame. I put my tank in from the top before installing the bed
Then of course had to remove the tank after the bed was installed. I did remove the original tank the usual way before initially taking the bed off.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:27 PM   #4
TomT/Williamsburg

Thanks, Charlie - it is a Tanks gas tank and it was close but I was able to put it in and take it out with the small modification on that one frame rail.

Stay safe my friend......