Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2020, 08:36 AM   #1
HS

Default One Nut Adjustable Vavle lifter

Good Morning,
Adjustable Vale Lifter: Question, I'm using the One nut Adjustable Valve lifters The self Locking Tappets Adjustable Vale Lifter From Battons Part # 9150 How do I SET these ??? How do I adjust that lifter? The "self locking" has me Corn fused!

Thanks in advance
Hugh
HS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: One Nut Adjustable Vavle lifter

If they're like mine they operate according to the "nylanut" (aka Nyloc) insert principle which is a deform-able plastic insert which goes to increase the "residual torque" which prevents movement after adjustment. On these you "set it & forget it"

One of the downsides of the two nut version is that moving the locknut into position and achieving the residual torque (jamming) will change the setting - one has to "play around with it" until one gets precisely the clearance required. The one nut version doesn't have this downside perhaps trading it for the possibility of moving?

The rebuilder who did my engine would do either and preferred the single nut version simply because of the ease of adjustment. "I've never had one move with well over a thousand of my rebuilds out there" he added for emphasis. "Plus I'll have to get $100 extra for the time I spend if you want two nuts."

It was an easy (and successful) choice for me.

If examining yours brings you to a different thought - then I'm sure Bratton will help.

Joe K
Old 04-30-2020, 09:49 AM   #3
MikeK

Self-locking really means that they do not ever lock. There is friction/ interference in the thread fit making them stiff to turn, somewhat like a 'self-locking' nut. The supposed advantage is easier adjustment, as you need two thin tappet wrenches, not three.

Some guys do OK with them, others, including me, have found that a significant number of them (maybe 1 or 2 in a set) do not hold all that well. Fixes for this include running the thread way up, pin punching the threads to increase interference, blasting the threads with carb cleaner then compressed air to de-grease and applying locktite blue before running them back down to correct adjustment.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

I must have bad luck - a had a couple single nut adjusters that would not hold after conversion to adjustable/motor rebuild, got noisy tappets in the 1st 50 miles. After adjusting them once, the motor builder replaced the offending 2 tappets. 3500 miles later all is well.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #5
HS

Thank You guys!!
So with the one nut Lifter that I have, you can tighten up and loosen up? and It most of the time the Lifter stays in the position when you stopped with the wrench?? Hmm What hold the Nut in Place??

Thanks,
Hugh
HS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:06 AM   #6
rocket1

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I would not use the tappets with the friction interference adjustment,the set I installed 30 plus years ago would not hold,they were poorly made.I use the new type that require 3 wrenches and a lot of time but once set you can forget.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:25 AM   #7
katy

Quote:
How do I adjust that lifter?
One wrench goes on the 2 flats on the lifter and use another wrench to turn the adjustable part. Simples
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Adjustable lifter.jpg (2.0 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by katy; 04-30-2020 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Corrected typo
katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:42 AM   #8
30 Closed Cab PU

Here are some previous strings, if you search on colony tappets there is more info.
Colony seems to be the preferred manufacturer, either way make sure the tappet shoulders go all the way across the cam.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...colony+tappets
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ts#post1870470
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ts#post1817029
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote