Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
F-word541

Default 292 teapot starting issues

Hey guys,
Just found this forum today. Super excited to find a good group of Ford lovers to share info. I have a 56 Country Sedan wagon with the 292 topped with the 4000 series teapot which I recently rebuilt. It was my first time rebuilding a carb so I watched tons of youtube videos and got advice and tips from experienced friends and took my time. It went well. Got it back on and fired her up made some idle and choke adjustments. She Starts good when cold but after driving a while if I shut her down and try to re-start in a short while it seems to crank for a long time before it fires. It will always fire just seems to take longer when warmed up. I also put an electric choke on and it has a Pertronics ignition in the dist. and new coil without resistor. Thinking I might need to adjust the float but not sure the best way to adjust. any advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
streetdreams

Location: Howell, Michigan, USA, The Peoples Slightly Overspent Demodependancy of Michigan
Default Re: 292 teapot starting issues

Welcome. Couple of great carb guys in this forum. I'm sure they'll respond when they read your post.
streetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #3
Fordestes

Is the choke closing while the ign is off? Does it appear to be evaporating or draining back the fuel from the float? see if when you work the accelerator whether or not there is fuel from the accelerator pump squirting from the accelerator pump nozzles , if not the float may be stuck in the closed position, My money is on theelectric choke re-setting,I changed every electric choke I have to manual.I experienced the same problem.
fordestes
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #4
darrell

sounds like flooding
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
scicala

When you are experiencing the hot re-start problem, hold the throttle pedal to the floor when cranking to start. If it starts better that way, then you are probably experiencing the choke closing up (as stated by Fordestes) and or fuel percolating in the bowl from the heat after shutdown. The up to 10% ethanol in gasoline these days does this a lot easier than gas without ethanol.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:59 AM   #6
F-word541

Thanks for the advice. It doesn't seem to help holding the throttle down. Can't tell if the accelerator squirters are spraying or not. Didn't get to spend much time on it over the weekend due to a snowstorm. too cold out in the garage. Will check into it more when it warms up a little. I was also kicking around the idea of getting rid of the teapot and going with a newer Holley. Any thoughts on a good replacement that would work well on the 292?
Old 03-03-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
scicala

If you want to switch to a more modern Holley or other 4 barrel carb, you will need an adapter (still available) because of the different bolt pattern and also will need to change the distributor to a 1957 or later one because the carb vacuum signals are drastically different to the distributor. '56 was the last year of the "Loadomatic" ignition system that was vacuum only.

As far as a carburetor an Edelbrock 500 CFM is a good choice and more easily tune-able than the Holley. Probably cheaper too. It's also been used and liked by a few Ford Barner's

Sal
Old 03-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #8
Fordestes

A holley 94 is a good carb, or even a holley 500 2 bbl.autolite 2100 two barrel or an edelbrock 500 4bbl,I have used them all and they seem to perform ok depending on what suits your driving habbits.
fordestes
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #9
F-word541

Edelbrock sounds like it might be the way to go. Pretty sure that's what my friend put on his 292 in a 56 p/u and has had no issues. I think I am going to stick with the teapot at least for this summer. Then go from there. Might try running non-ethanol fuel and see if that helps. I would like to get away from the oilbath air cleaner though. Is there any good alternatives that will mount to the teapot? Thanks again for the good advice. Very much appreciated.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:52 PM   #10
55Brodie

You might check to see if you have a phenolic spacer between your carb's base and the intake manifold. That will help insulate the carb from boil over/evaporation when you shut down.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #11
scicala

I don't think there are other air cleaners that will fit the teapot carb because it is taller above the air cleaner neck than any other carbs. You would probably have to get an aftermarket air cleaner for a 5 1/8" carb neck, then stack two paper filter elements together, or find a tall paper element. Then put the lid on that came with the air cleaner. Would have to take measurements to figure out how tall the filter element has to be.

Sal
Old 03-03-2015, 05:37 PM   #12
oj

Welcome to the Barn.
Hard to imagine percolating this time of year, but, what I'd do is the next time it cranks without fireing instantly I'd dribble some fuel down the carb, reach in and hit the key to see if it fires on the 1st crank. If it does then you'll know it needs fuel and probably from percolating.
You'll also be able to evaluate the choke flap too, see if open or closed.
Lots of info on here about percolating, do a search.
oj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #13
40 Deluxe

You might try to find a '57 factory 4 barrel intake manifold as it has the right bolt pattern for the Edelbrock. The Edelbrock is a direct copy of the Carter AFB which was first used on the '57 312. Ford used three new 4 barrels in 57: the AFB, the 4100 Ford/Autolite (probably the best if you can find one-very simple and reliable) and the Holley (model 4150 or 4160) which is still much the same today. I don't know if Ford was experimenting or if supplies were short but I have seen all three carbs on '57 312's. As mentioned you will need the distributor from a '57 thru '64 292 or 312.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:27 PM   #14
craig

I have used the original '57 AFB, which has a vac operated secondary instead of mechanical, and it worked pretty good. But the best carb on my 292 was an Autolite 4100 from a '65 Mustang HP 289, factory hand choke and never any hot start problems. Find one of those, get a '57 intake and later distributor and you will never regret it
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:41 PM   #15
Tinker

I'm a fan of the holley 390 large two barrel on a stocker yblock.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #16
GREENBIRD56

Welcome aboard, always glad to see another '56.... does your outfit still have the "Load-O-Matic" (full vacuum control) distributor on it? They are rather prone to giving up and making the engine run very "retarded" - which is usually hot. Which then adds to the percolation difficulties. You can easily update the engine to a later model (after '56) distributor that has both vacuum and mechanical advance. Often the best choice is a replacement distributor for a '63 Ford F100 / 292. Even if you run it on full manifold vacuum - after tuning, it will beat the original distributor hands down. Many have fitted a dry element - inside the oil bath air cleaner - and it looks very sanitary with the teapot carb - or Edelwok - Holley - Autolite or whatever.
GREENBIRD56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:43 AM   #17
F-word541

Yup. It still has the original Load-o-matic on it. Looking around for a 57 or newer one now. Is fine to run the newer dist. with the teapot carb? Just plug off the extra vacuum line?
Old 03-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #18
Jimz Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-word541 View Post
Yup. It still has the original Load-o-matic on it. Looking around for a 57 or newer one now. Is fine to run the newer dist. with the teapot carb? Just plug off the extra vacuum line?
There is a profound difference in the amount of vacuum applied to the diaphragms in the 56 dual and the 57 up single.

Check out this thread which has those differences listed and also a link from Sal to the Holley 4000 carburetor manuals.

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142689
Jimz Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #19
scicala

If you want to keep the Holley 4000 teapot carb, here is a link from Ted Eaton on how to convert the Holley 4000 to ported vacuum for a '57 and later distributor. I agree it's best to get one for a later 292 like '62 -'64 truck since they were better designed.

Sal

http://www.eatonbalancing.com/blog/2...-distributors/
Old 03-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #20
F-word541

Thanks for the links. Tons of great info. Found a distributor for a 63 F-100 on Ebay for $59 shipped. Its on the way. Looks like it won't be too involved getting the Holley set up for the new Distributor. Supposed to get into the 70's here tomorrow. Might have to get Ol Blue out for some cruising