Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2022, 10:00 PM   #1
drfromnc

Default Front brake line routing advice

These questions were part of my other thread but got buried near the end and not many replies. Opinions and advice needed on front brake line routing because I have never done this before. FYI, Both front wheels have a flex line bracket hangin down under the frame rail vs bulkhead through frame rail. This is on a 34 pickup, 59a engine and original chassis.

Question 1: brake line routing from MC to left front T. Which option is best and why?

Option 1 is to route it along the inside or under the top lip of the left hand x member and then along top side of bottom lip of front frame rail. This would shield it best from road debris as well as heat from exhaust pipe (going with reds headers and dual pipes) but does mean a “barrel roll” bend to connect line to T.
Option 2 is to route it along the underside of left hand crossmember and then underside of left frame rail to T. Easiest route to bend. More exposure to road debris and exhaust heat on this route. I do have enough armor coil to cover the line.

Question 2: line route from left T to right wheel flex line. Sort of decided to run it along the back side of the front crossmember but not sure which is best:

Option 1 is to run it on underside of front crossmember (tucked up under the lip)with armor coil protecting both ends.
Option 2 is to run it on top side of back edge of front crossmember. The only issue I can think of is a clearance issue between crank pulley and line mounted on crossmember. Might make it difficult to change my belt. FYI, 34 pickup with 59a flatty and I remember tight fit in that area. I don’t have my motor back from builder yet to verify this clearance.

I welcome any advice on what options to go with or alternatives and why.
drfromnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 10:28 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: Front brake line routing advice

A picture is worth 1000 words. Drawings do the same thing.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:32 PM   #3
Newc

Doing the same job on a '34 PU. Left to T under frame then to right side under crossmember. Both flex joints under frame at wheels nr shocks.
Inside front frame back to master cyl. Fronts done- using a dual master -'62/3 Cadillac Keeping lines inside frame for protection from a lift and rocks. Use bolted clips to locate
Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 07:52 AM   #4
Mart

On my 32 I routed the front up the left hand frame rail above the lower rail, T'd off to the front left hand hose and then continued across the front crossmember to the right hand hose.
Just avoid obvious problems like hanging too low, but also take account of access for engine mount bolts, and imagine the movement of the front pulley if taking the engine in and out. I chose a location just below the lower lip of the front crossmember.

What is also worth bearing in mind is that you don't need to fit the tee half way along the crossmember. I have seen this done in the mistaken belief that if not done, it will lead to uneven braking. You can fit it anywhere. I tend to mimic the stock 39 type setup and use all the stock type fittings and hoses.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 11:44 AM   #5
Rodrelic

Frame is boxed, drilled and tapped box plates in a few places to use #10 screws & loops to pin it down
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62463D13-44EE-48CA-A4EE-39561D90D17D.jpg (78.2 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 93118446-E474-4D79-B408-1047CD69B1AD.jpg (59.1 KB, 100 views)
Rodrelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 01:39 PM   #6
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrelic View Post
Frame is boxed, drilled and tapped box plates in a few places to use #10 screws & loops to pin it down

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote