Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2021, 07:27 PM   #801
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Great stuff - exactly what you should be doing! Keep it going my friend!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:07 PM   #802
sugarmaker

Dale, Pat, David, Mark, ford barn folks,
I had a ball. Every trip is a new back road!
It ran pretty darn good, must say. Loud with no muffler!
Had a death wobble at about 15 mph. Had to get out and check that a wheel wasn't falling off. All good. Just didn't like that speed.
Deer hunting in the drizzle tonight. Shot at a little buck. Going in morning to see if I can find it. Was dark thirty when I got down. More on that tomorrow. Son, Eric is going to help me look.
Finished the lower rooms in the shop with two coats of the polyurethane. Looks good, for old hemlock siding.
Hope things are good in Ford land!
Thanks for looking in on me!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 12:17 PM   #803
Als48

Chris, I'm still loving your truck as well as your posts. Cooper driving your 32 reminds me of my grand daughter Mabel (9 yrs old) driving my "big" tractor which is a 5000 Ford with loader and 7 ft bush hog a few days ago. She was loving it. We went to the woods and got a small log for the firepit in the loader, which she was operating as I instructed her. Drove the tractor back and unloaded. I'm sure she will remember it well. Her brother Miles (7 3/4 yrs), was with us but he didn't want to drive. That surprised me!
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:35 PM   #804
sugarmaker

Al,
We had a Ford 5000 on Dads farm. Great tractor and your making good memories with your grand kids. Planting these seeds with the youth will pay dividends in the future.
Thanks on the truck and thread!
Folks,
Just got back from deer hunting. We saw the deer I shot at last night. It was healthy and moving fine, down the road about a 1/4 mile. Spent a couple hours in the tree stand. Many naps, no deer seen.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-05-2021, 07:05 PM   #805
sugarmaker

Folks,
Have been hunting deer since I was big enough to carry the old 16 gauge Winchester model 1897 pump. Well grand son and his helpers are going to arrive in a bit and we will evaluate a shot I made on a deer tonight. Hope to have a update on the morning. Darn deer thing. Another four letter word habit!

Hope things are good in Ford land!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-05-2021, 10:45 PM   #806
Tinker

Death wobble could be coming from worn kingpins and/or sloppy worn linkage.

Cool to see the bed up. With all hydraulics they can be dangerous also.

People here are "checking" their shotguns outside tonight. Or getting the early deer, just kidding... (slug opener tomorrow here). Lot of to-do over the opener. Best of luck!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 09:58 AM   #807
sugarmaker

Tinker, Folks,
Yes the steering linkage needs some attention/ tightening.
Have only raised the bed several times. Not going to stick my head in there with it up for sure.
I missed the buck last night so I am 0 and 2. Found the bolt and very minor hair, on damage to the deer. I did some tuning with the crossbow today. They drop like a rock. May go out again tonight with my son.
We can still use high powered rifles in PA. I use a a Remington 7600 in 30.06 caliber. Been doing the job for 60 years for me.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-06-2021, 07:46 PM   #808
sugarmaker

Folks,
Ok Wiring: I am not good at it! There I feel better. I am a hack. That too relieves some pressure. Anyway, I will start to do some basic wiring of the lights on the 32. My goal is good grounds mostly new wiring. It probably wont be like original. I would like to use the switch on the steering wheel for parking lights, high and low beam. I dont know anything about it or its transition through the column and into the bottom cap that looks lie it has a spring retainer clip on it. What should my first moves be? I know trying to explain electrical to someone like me may be worse than algebra class!
Any basic guidance will be appreciated. I can check continuity, I have a decent meter, not high end.
On a bright side note, (pun intended) Snyder's is shipping me the gasket material that goes in to cushion the glass lenses. I might be able to handle that!
Shop work and deer hunting has been in the way lately so the 32 waits.

You know what happens when you put a old guy in a tree stand with a cross bow? Good NAPS! The deer were very safe!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-06-2021, 10:31 PM   #809
cas3

Your spring retainer, we call the bail (bale ? ) anyway, unclip that, then if you look closely at the metal cup thingy you will see some bumps which show you which way to twist it a 1/4" or so and then it all pulls of showing you the switch itself. pretty self explanatory once you look it over.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:10 AM   #810
sugarmaker

cas3, Folks,
Thanks, I will try to clean that area up and carefully open the bail and rotate / remove the cap. I may take some time and sketch out a electrical diagram, even though it should be fairly simple, sometimes that helps me get my head around the electrical design on a somewhat custom project. Some things I haven't dealt with are the turn signal and flasher items at all. (My tractors dont have that much complexity)
I did find some good simple wiring diagrams on line for almost what I have so I may just use that detail to follow. I would like to try to use that vintage turn signal switch if possible too.

(I had sent you a PM a while ago too.)
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-07-2021, 08:33 AM   #811
DavidG

Chris,

The original wiring diagram for your truck is shown on page A-15-2 of the book. It will be helpful in identifying which wire is which based on the color coding of the wires once you have removed the light switch cover at the bottom of the steering gear box (and elsewhere).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:24 PM   #812
sugarmaker

David,
Thank you I will refer to that document for the electrical information. It looks like it will help a lot. Awesome books! I just am lazy and ask before I look.
Had the truck out for a excursion on some of the back roads in out neighborhood. It preformed better than my 2015, I had no engine light come on and the wipers were not coming on at wrong time! Weather is mid 50's. Just a wonderful ride in the fall country. Chugging along.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 11-07-2021 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:58 PM   #813
Tinker

I could be wrong but I'd guess the basic original looking "31"-32 harnesses will work on your truck. There will be some differences that you might need to adapt.

Nice crossbow. Here you have to apply for a disability license to use one. Very accurate and powerful. Hope you get your deer, venison is tasty. Being from a hunting family, we dropped some Idaho moose ribs on the traeger a few weeks ago. It was like a brontosaurus fred flintstone style ribs. Delicious.

Last edited by Tinker; 11-07-2021 at 11:03 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:47 AM   #814
sugarmaker

Tinker, folks,
Well I have been dancing around the removal of the old electricals since I brought this home. As you have seen and can imagine they were not original and not in good shape. The original wiring was bare and crispy, falling apart in many places. I will probably take a stab at wiring the truck my self. With the help of the wiring diagram from Davids book. I also have some extras like turn signals and more brake lights. I did get into the switch at the base of the steering column. All the wires had been soldered to the terminals. I don't think Ford did that! Will see if I can save it. Will have some pictures.

The ribs sound tasty! I like venison tenderloin grilled!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-08-2021, 08:06 AM   #815
DavidG

Chris,

Yes, the wires were soldered to the light switch base originally.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:05 AM   #816
Bob C

Sacramento Vintage Ford make good wiring looms.
https://vintageford.com/sect_search....ng-%20Lighting
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:12 AM   #817
sugarmaker

David,
Folks,
Learn something new every day. I would not have thought these would have been soldered. But that makes a very robust bullet proof connection for sure! Well it looked they attachment points had been re-soldered to me, not a very clean job with some (at least 3) wires coming off that had been cut, and were not being used. Other (newer) wire on same terminal being used.

This wasn't going to work. Just old brittle, falling apart, and bare in spots. Humm, sounds a lot like me!:

The contacts and contractor seemed fine. Nice job Ford did fool proofing the assembly on the components. Pretty neat design that can just be unpluged from the mechanical controles in the steering wheel.

My little Weller soldering guns just did not seem to cut it. So brought out the big electric soldering iron. It gets the job done.

The tape was for my reference to try to mark where the wires were going. Might help a little?

I cleaned up the inside and outside of the cup housing and the contacts. A coat of clear for some protection.

I was planning to use slide on clips for the wire connections. That way I could make changes if necessary. Anyway, I don't see why this cleaned up switch wont work? I may put the cup and switch in place and do some circuit testing.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 11-08-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:59 AM   #818
DavidG

Chris,

The reproduction lamp/horn wiring harnesses use the slide-on clips as you are planning to use. They should work just fine and you have the flexibility to customize it in the process
Old 11-08-2021, 08:03 PM   #819
sugarmaker

David,
Folks,
I am evaluating the slip on connections verses soldering them. I may just end up soldering these since two wires need to come off most of the terminals.
I did spend some time with OHM meter checking continuity across various posts in the switch with the switch turned in all settings.

Makes sense to Davids reference in the book other than High and Low beam did not seem to be as I expected ,but will work fine.
Pictures? Sure why not, seems like what I do. I did learn something while taking pictures close up and down into the cup. My phone gave me the option to turn on the flashlight! Instant mini flood light! Works great!
No flashlight on:

Flashlight on: (Probably could just turn flash on somehow too?? This is the end that goes up into and matches with the steering column switch tangs.

Probably a lot of Barners have had one of these apart?

Trial back on after clean up:

Thanks for checking in on me!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-08-2021, 08:12 PM   #820
al's28/33

Chris,

This has to be one of the all-time greatest threads here on the Barn, lots of pictures and interactions with comments and advice along the way in the rebirth of this beautiful '32.
Thank you for sharing with us. You know, we will become more addicted to your posts as soon as the dark cold days of winter set in and we are stuck inside. Save some work for our hibernation.
I remember you discussing here the need for a correct '32 horn ? Not sure if you contemplated using a 12 volt Model "A" horn instead ? the "AHOOOOGA" sound brings so much more attention than just the "BEEP, BEEP" of later types. God Speed.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote