Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
BobMo

Default Steering Wheel Orientation on Column

I've read that the correct orientation of the steering wheel on the steering column is with the spokes of the steering wheel forming an X pattern while the car is traveling straight forward, which allows a good view of the speedometer. My 30 Coupe is not that way. My steering wheel spokes take a plus pattern, two spokes vertical and other, of course, 90 degrees to it, which obstructs the view of the speedometer. I'm not really that much of a purist, but I'm tired of ducking my head to read the speedometer. Back in 2005 the Restorer Magazine had an article about fixing that, but the fix involved machining of the drag link, rework of tie rods, etc., much more work than I'd want to do to fix this little problem. Is there and easier fix that you know that will simply reorient the steering wheel to the column?
BobMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Charles Coe

Default Re: Steering Wheel Orientation on Column

You should be able to remove the steering wheel and reorient it and put it back on. If it's the splined wheel you can put it where you want it. And if it's the keyed wheel, it should have two slots for the key which will allow the adjustment you want.
Charles Coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
P.S.

Default Re: Steering Wheel Orientation on Column

Looking at the assembly line photos, it appears as though cars coming off the Model A assembly line had their steering wheels in an X when going straight ahead.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote