Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
RalphG

Default No Compression On The Merc

Probably not too big a surprise but when I put a battery in the 52 Merc to give it a test this morning , it turned alright. But from the sound of it there is no compression on any of the cylinders. Hardly possible that all the valves are stuck open, or is it? This engine was "running when parked" some 30+ years ago.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
cmbrucew

Default Re: No Compression On The Merc

RalphG
Pull the plugs, and squirt Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders to free up the rings. Let it set, then more MMO.
Bruce
Old 11-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
Willit Stop

Yep.Stuck valves are highly likely.
Don't you just love some of those terms:
"Ran when last parked."
"For sale by owner."
"Previously owned."
Willit Stop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
Ross F-1

Broken timing gear?
Old 11-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
dean333

Send a message via Yahoo to dean333

Ralph, what's with the YouTube address ending in "roosty6?" Where do is go from there to see YOUR post??
Old 11-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
4tford

Hey Ralph, I just pulled a 59A apart. Rotated fairly well with a wrench and I was happy. Pulled the intake and 16 valves stuck up in the air. Bring it down to Regina and I can build you a new short block. Bill in Regina
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
A bones

Lightbulb Re: No Compression On The Merc

I've been reluctant to say anything. as I have no real life experience(other than "washing out" my T motor) with a V8. BUT, I heard of tales by old timers (the ones who have left the building) a favorite remedy in these situations was kerosene. These come from a time when old flatheads were a step away from the scrap heap. No one considered rebuild. The word nostalgia was unheard of yet.

Two methods of use: One is to fill that motor all the way to the top (overflow). Let it soak a week or so. Drain kero fill with cheap oil. Start the motor let it idle, warm-up work the RPM gradually up not too fast. Then drain again fill with good oil.

Two is to use four qts kero in the crankcase and start motor. Let it sit at idle (no rev) for a time up to an hour. Then drain kero fill with cheap oil to flush. Run motor, drain and fill with good oil. I'm sure some may take offense to such abuse. My apologies, I just believe you'd rather not have to tear it down right away. I welcome ANY comments or criticism. We have many professionals here to shoot this down, or perhaps lend it some credibility. Thanks for the time.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by A bones View Post
I've been reluctant to say anything. as I have no real life experience(other than "washing out" my T motor) with a V8. BUT, I heard of tales by old timers (the ones who have left the building) a favorite remedy in these situations was kerosene. These come from a time when old flatheads were a step away from the scrap heap. No one considered rebuild. The word nostalgia was unheard of yet.

Two methods of use: One is to fill that motor all the way to the top (overflow). Let it soak a week or so. Drain kero fill with cheap oil. Start the motor let it idle, warm-up work the RPM gradually up not too fast. Then drain again fill with good oil.

Two is to use four qts kero in the crankcase and start motor. Let it sit at idle (no rev) for a time up to an hour. Then drain kero fill with cheap oil to flush. Run motor, drain and fill with good oil. I'm sure some may take offense to such abuse. My apologies, I just believe you'd rather not have to tear it down right away. I welcome ANY comments or criticism. We have many professionals here to shoot this down, or perhaps lend it some credibility. Thanks for the time.
I have never tried it ether, but have heard the same thing many times.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #9
cmbrucew

Kerosene or coal oil were favorite cures for a lot of things. Maybe because there were not a lot of other choices. Drained oil was saved for other uses.
Bruce
Old 11-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #10
rotorwrench

When I purchased my 2nd 1951 Merc several years back, it had a few stuck valves. After I pulled the heads I found a burned piston with broken rings so I was kinda glad I did that rather than flogging that poor cylinder to death trying to run the poor thing. If the motor is in the car, your all set to pull the heads. If you take it out, it will be even harder to get those bolts out after that many years. You just have to pray you don't twist any off. I managed to get all mine out and it hadn't been apart since 1963. All it will cost you is a top end set of gaskets and you will be able to see most of what might be ailing it after 30 years. You will be able to get to the exhaust valves easier. The intakes you can pour full of ATF & acetone mix to free them up.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #11
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean333 View Post
Ralph, what's with the YouTube address ending in "roosty6?" Where do is go from there to see YOUR post??
Hey Dean, I am Roosty6 and that link takes you to my channel. From there just click "videos" if you care to watch any of them.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #12
RalphG

This Merc engine had work done on it shortly before it was parked. New pistons and rings, not sure what about the valves but I don't think there is anything wrong other than valves sticking. I've thought of the kerosene idea too. Just pour some in the oil filler and would that not get to where it needs to un-stick the valves?. Actually diesel fuel is much more readily available and might give similar results. I don't think I have ever seen "MMO" here either.
Its a little cool out there right now but I might pull the plugs tomorrow and investigate a little further if weather permits. Working outdoors on an engine in Sask. at this time of year is not a pleasant experience but I'm hoping to do a little.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #13
Mike B

Assuming all valves up, pull the carb, and flood the intake with your favorite mix...I still the the heads will have to come off to do some "tapping" on the valves..so why not save a gallon or two and pull the heads now?

Just my .02
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:41 PM   #14
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
Broken timing gear?
Good point, rotor turning?
Old 11-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #15
Tony, NY

I think it's a bad idea to try to start it now. Pull the intake and do a visual on the valves. See if they are stuck open or if some type of damage was done. Go from there.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #16
RalphG

I really don't want to open that engine up unless it is absolutely necessary. It would mean having to get new gaskets to re-assemble. A gallon or two of diesel fuel is far cheaper and less trouble than new head and manifold gaskets. I had good luck on the 39 freeing up a couple of exhaust valves so I am going to see if my luck holds out on this engine.
I don't see how the timing gear could have broken being parked for 30 some years but I will open the dist. cap to make sure the rotor turns.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:30 PM   #17
Mike B

Thing is, if the valves are stuck open, what ever crud is up on the stem, may not get "dieseled up", to allow the spring pressure to get them moving...just my thoughts.

But sitting 30 years...mice nest's etc...I'd be inclined to spend 35 or 40 dollars in gaskets, just to see what was inside.

Besides, diesel is for running my tractor, and shop heater
Old 11-18-2014, 01:23 AM   #18
supereal

Don't put kerosene or any solvent in the crankcase. It is impossible to drain all of it out, and if it gets into bearings, big trouble. For old engines, drop the pan and scrape all the sludge, and clean the oil pump screen. If you are set on using kerosene, use it to wash out the pan debris, then wipe it clean. Most old Fords that haven't run for years have the valve chamber full of sludge. Remove the intake manifold to wipe out as much as you can without scraping, to reduce particles. Fill the crankcase with Shell Rotella oil, remove the spark plugs and crank the engine for a few minutes to circulate the oil. Replace the plugs and proceed to try to start it. It may require a few squirts of starting fluid to get it going. After running the engine for at least an hour or two, drain the oil amd refill with regular oil. With some luck, you may have revived a long dormant engine. If one or more valves stick, they will have to come out. The valve and guide assemblies, with the springs, require attention to restore dependabilty. Be sure to tag each one so they can be returned to their position, and preserve the lash. Many old engines are destroyed by just putting in fuel and trying to start.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:42 AM   #19
4tford

Just pulled this 59A apart and yes it did rotate.

Last edited by 4tford; 08-05-2020 at 08:02 AM.
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:53 AM   #20
chap52

I agree with cmbrucew...A little mmo in each cylinder should give you some compression. Especially if a recent build (if your sure of that?) If you crank it after putting the oil in be sure that the plugs are at least back where they belong...Open plug holes=sprayed mmo everywhere . Don't ask how I know.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote