Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
nickair

Default Water Pump Options

Just replaced my cracked 83 year old fan. When test running it for the new fan install inspection, I saw that my water pump housing was cracked on one side. Darn. Wish I would have seen that when it was all apart. :-)

Looking for advice on water pump options. Plan to replace the whole pump.

I did just add a thermostat when I replaced the fan and radiator hoses. Has a new radiator also.

1) Looking at ordering a leak-less water pump. Thoughts?

2) Is there a water pump impeller available with reduced size fins?

1931 Stock Tudor

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
L.D.

I have 40 horses in the garage.
Only feed them when I want to take them out.

31 Model A Tudor 55B

Nick
nickair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:34 AM   #2
Pat Martone

Default Re: Water Pump Options

FYI - I have been using the "Extreme Duty Leakless Water Pump" (www.leaklessapumps.com) for almost 4 years, and have been satisfied.
It is pricey, but I think it may be the best leakless water pump available and it uses sealed bearings for both front AND rear.
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:30 AM   #3
Joe K

Or you could go the "el-cheapo" route and source a water pump casting and rebuild it to original - it's a challenge to beat Ford's success (mostly.)

I like to use torrington needles on the front bearing and a matching sleeve which is pressed on over the shaft. Somewhere in the "how to rebuild the model A" books is the formula for both of these parts.

But others stay with the original chevron bushing and mega cage rollers.

I like to use the leakless sealed brass rear bushing pressed into the casting. These now are available in "double lip" style which wasn't available back when I did my couple. With an original nut it gives a 'back up' in case the lip seals fail (mostly they don't.)

But others stay with the original brass bushing and content themselves with greasing it periodically as original.

I like to rebuild using a shaft that is the 1/4" long version - and then grinding it down to give the preferred 0.005 to 0.010 end play. I have a press to put on the impeller and ALWAY drill and pin the impeller. I have not noticed issues with the impeller hitting the inside of the cylinder head casting (reported by some and usually solved by turning it down in a lathe.)

But others either go a 'sealed bearing' setup for the front (which does away with the need for ANY end play adjustment) or a shaft collar in front of the front bearing. Both work and work well.

I think the rule of thumb here is el-cheapo is cash conserving - maybe. But not so time conserving. And how do you value your time?

I recently had a choice to have the brakes done on my wife's car. A late model, brake pads and rotors are now a "do it in your garage" sort of car repair - the intelligent are challenged to find a way to screw it up. But at $100 labor and I'm away on business I said "I'm starting to value my time off" - and let the garage do it this time.

I guess that was my price point that day. Working on the Model A it might be different.

No, it IS different.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 08-09-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Martone View Post
FYI - I have been using the "Extreme Duty Leakless Water Pump" (www.leaklessapumps.com) for almost 4 years, and have been satisfied.
It is pricey, but I think it may be the best leakless water pump available and it uses sealed bearings for both front AND rear.
Pat are the extreme's different then what the jobbers sell??
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #5
RonC

I have good luck with the best pump available from Snyders
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Nick,

FWIW:

If you would like to install a leak-less water pump & forget about water pump tinkering, & water pump covers to prevent coolant drips from flying about now & then, this is OK.

If you feel comfortable with tinkering with water pump packing & a water pump wrench now & then, this is still OK & satisfying to many.

Some may like shoes, some prefer boots; but both will work well when walking barefooted on a gravel driveway.

Hope this helps to make a decision -- just do what you like.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
CarlG

Quote:
Ditto!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
nickair

Quote:

Thanks guys. I just learned some things I did not know from talking with Jim Rupert @ the website Pat sent here, above. Jim is a great guy and took the time to educate me on the cooling system. He says his pump will work fine with my new thermostat installed and my new modern core radiator. He used it on his with that setup. Nice guy. I bought the extreme duty version. Sealed bearings at each end. Double sealed bearings at fan end to handle the extra pressures of adding an altenator.

L.D.

31 Model A Tudor 55B

Nick
Old 08-10-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Pat are the extreme's different then what the jobbers sell??
I'm not Pat, I'm Bill, them pumps are special & come from Bakersfield, Ca, where all the good old WESTERN MUSIC comes frum! Jist ask Juke Joint Johnny! He even knows about them "SOLID BODY" GEETARS
Dad W.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill williamson View Post
i'm not pat, i'm bill, them pumps are special & come from bakersfield, ca, where all the good old western music comes frum! Jist ask juke joint johnny!:d he even knows about them "solid body" geetars:d
dad w.
oh.. Lol
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:38 AM   #11
nickair

My water pump packing nut wrench will be retired.

L.D.

31 Model A Tudor 55B

Nick