Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #1
Track T-4

Default '37 Ford door glass question

I replaced the passenger door glass this week and noticed that if I place my hands on either side of the glass I can slide it front and back about 1-3/4".
The driver side glass does the same thing. Is this normal or is there supposed to be something to stop this? Maybe it is like this for a reason?
Track T-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
TonyM

Default Re: '37 Ford door glass question

The front door windows on 1937 Ford are designed to open backward about 1.5 inches before they go down in the conventional manner. This is described in the 1937 Ford Owner's Manual. Please refer to your 1937 Ford Owner's Manual.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #3
supereal

Just be sure that the glass isn't sliding in the packing. The sizeof the packing must fit both the glass and the channel of the regulator. Measure the glass thickness, then the inside of the channel. divide the difference an order the packing accordingly. C&G stocks four thick-nesses 1/32, 3/64, 1/16 and 5/64" . Their number is (800) 266-0470.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:47 PM   #4
Track T-4

TonyM - Thanks for the feedback. Owners manual is on order. I was wondering if the glass is supposed to be able to slide back-and-forth, where should it normally be positioned when the glass is in the up position? I'm assuming centered in the opening but won't that change as the car is driven? Trying to make sure I have this right to avoid having to replace another cracked glass.

Supereal - Thanks for the feedback. The glass is tight in the packing, I had the channel installed by the glass maker and he "hammered" it on.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Is the glass sliding without the crank turning? The glass normally goes all the way forward. Then it can be move aft with the crank as desired as a vent (smokers window I believe is the name). When it is moved all the way aft it will start to crank down. When you crank it up it should go all the way up against the aft window frame. When all the way up it will then move forward if you continue to turn the crank until it sets against the front of the window frame.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Is the glass sliding without the crank turning? The glass normally goes all the way forward. Then it can be move aft with the crank as desired as a vent (smokers window I believe is the name). When it is moved all the way aft it will start to crank down. When you crank it up it should go all the way up against the aft window frame. When all the way up it will then move forward if you continue to turn the crank until it sets against the front of the window frame.

Thanks for clarifying this JSeery.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #7
Track T-4

Thanks all for the responses, interesting and very helpful.