Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #1
marc silva

Default Spare tire location

I was sitting here looking on the MAFCA site at cars for sale (like I do a couple times every day) and made me think "why do some cars have the spare tire on the side and some on the back"? Was that an option? Did certain models come a certain way only, or did you have a choice? Was it a "basic" vs. a "deluxe" thing? There have been a lot of real nice looking cars on MAFCA lately, however I am partial to the rear spare and to me the single side mount cuts in on the smooth look of the car. Dual side mounts make the car symmetrical. I would guess dual side mounts were on the real deluxe models based on the cars I have seen them on.

Maybe I think about meaningless stuff too much......just wondering. : )
marc silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #2
richsfords

Question Re: Spare tire location

I would suggest that it was an option, depending on the use of the auto.
single user would like passenger fender mount, maybe a family would like rear mount, or travelers would like fender mount and put the trunk on back.
But what I wondered about was the dual fender mount for roadsters and the like.
All commercial trucks would like fender mount for obvious reasons.,
My 76a OCPU came with dual fender mount, my 31 S/w fordor has rear mount.
Maybe it was first come first served, or buy what they had in stock at the time.
And also I have seen dual rear mount. Any combo seems to work.
Only the shadow knows for sure.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Spare tire location

Rolls Royce and many other large cars look great with dual side mounts, as do many of the sporty type models, but I prefer my common cheaper cars to have the rear mounted spare. The rear spare also distributes the weight better.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:22 PM   #4
wrndln

I believe nearly all model A's came from the factory with rear mounted spares. Pickup trucks, open and closed, had no way to mount the spare on the rear, so they needed a side mounted spare. I believe deluxe roadsters and deluxe phaetons had side mounted spares to make them look fancier. I have heard that service departments would install a welled fender and a side mounted spare for a fee, if the customer requested it done. However, since model A's were the cheapest or one of the cheapest cars, I am pretty sure most people didn't have the money to "pretty up" their car. It seems in the last 30 years or so some model A owners have "fancied" up their cars with side mounts. I agree with Tom, the rear mounted spare looks better in my opinion for a low priced car. If you have ever tried to get into a roadster or phaeton with a side mount, it isn't easy, especially for 28 and 29.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #5
Patrick L.

There has been discussion about this here before and it seems to raise more questions than answers.

I believe it depended on the years. I seem to remember that at least with 31s the spare was rear mounted and a side mount was either factory or dealer installed option.

Oh, I too, prefer the rear mount.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:39 PM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I think the side mount adds a touch of class. It also makes getting in the trunk and rumble seat easier. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 08-05-2016 at 09:11 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:22 PM   #7
DougVieyra

Model A Ford - RESTORATION GUIDELINES* - A MARC/MAFCA join publication will tell you the correct answer. When you looked it up in your copy of the RESTORATION GUIDELINES did you not find the answer?

* MODEL A Restoration Guidelines & Judging Standards
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:10 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
Model A Ford - RESTORATION GUIDELINES* - A MARC/MAFCA join publication will tell you the correct answer. When you looked it up in your copy of the RESTORATION GUIDELINES did you not find the answer?

It's cheaper to ask us.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:14 AM   #9
silversink

from some this is all you will get
Old 08-06-2016, 07:17 AM   #10
1930artdeco

For my car at least, I have a rear mounted spare. I like it because it provides a place to install the third brake light option and the white from the side wall reflects headlights provides a contrast. So at least in theory the idiot behind me will notice me before he hits me.

Mike
Old 08-06-2016, 07:37 AM   #11
marc silva

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post

I did not know I could find the answer there. I will look that up! Thanks, Marc
marc silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #12
P.S.

Marc,

Interesting question, and I did look it up. It's a lot more helpful when someone posts the answer instead of simply "look it up". If that is the answer you would post, why bother posting? The man asked a question. Either answer or don't.

As someone with Asperger's (also known as an "Aspie"), I agree with you about the assemetry issue when only one side mount is installed. I cannot even look at an asymmetrical Model A. It is very disturbing.

Anyway, for the real answer, unless it was a pickup or a delivery, it came with a rear mounted spare.

Looking forward to seeing you and Devvi at Apple Hill.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #13
31Abone

iis it correct to have spare tire on right side 30 CC pickup ??
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #14
DougVieyra

PS, post #11: re: RESTORATION GUIDELINES. "If that is the answer you would post, why bother posting? "
--------------------------------------------------
Marc Silva (original poster):"I did not know I could find the answer there. I will look that up! Thanks, Marc"

PS, Post #11: "Anyway, for the real answer, unless it was a pickup or a delivery, it came with a rear mounted spare."
-------------
RESTORATION GUIDELINES & JUDGING STANDARDS: "Left (driver) side mounted spare tire carriers were standard on "A" commercial vehicles. Both right and left mounted spares were available as options on all "A" chassis beginning May 1928."

"The 1930-31 Deluxe Phaeton and 1931 Convertible Sedan never had a rear spare tire."
Old 08-06-2016, 06:45 PM   #15
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Thanks you just saved me 25.00. Plus shipping
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:51 PM   #16
DougVieyra

Smile Re: Spare tire location

Mitch//PA : "Thanks you just saved me 25.00"
-------------------------------------------------------------
PS , Post #11: ". . . the real answer, unless it was a pickup or a delivery, it came with a rear mounted spare."
--------------------------------------------

Yah, Mitch saving $25 (cost of RESTORATION GUIDELINES) can really pay dividends !
Old 08-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #17
Pete / MA

My 130A DeLuxe Delivery has a side mount because of the rear cargo door. My observation is that the side mount drivers side spare can create problems for folks with arthritis because of the limited door opening. Maybe that is why you would sometimes see old movies of the driver entering the passenger door (no side mount with wide opening door). Also the key lock is on the passengers door and a slide bolt lock on the drivers door with a blank outside handle (no key slot).
I try not to over think these things but I do find them curious and fun to ponder.
Pete / MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #18
Speedy Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete / MA View Post
My 130A DeLuxe Delivery has a side mount because of the rear cargo door. My observation is that the side mount drivers side spare can create problems for folks with arthritis because of the limited door opening. Maybe that is why you would sometimes see old movies of the driver entering the passenger door (no side mount with wide opening door). Also the key lock is on the passengers door and a slide bolt lock on the drivers door with a blank outside handle (no key slot).
I try not to over think these things but I do find them curious and fun to ponder.
With regards to the passenger side locks, the reason for that was so that one did not have to open their door and step out into traffic. You simply locked the drivers side door from the inside, slid across the bench seat, stepped out onto the sidewalk, locked your passenger side door, and went on your way.

"Now you listen to me young man ... There'll be no hopped up jobs around here"
Speedy Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #19
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Canuck View Post
With regards to the passenger side locks, the reason for that was so that one did not have to open their door and step out into traffic. You simply locked the drivers side door from the inside, slid across the bench seat, stepped out onto the sidewalk, locked your passenger side door, and went on your way.
And if you were in Britain ?! Wayne.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #20
SeaSlugs

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...roit/26312107/

interesting article of the early days