Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
ford3

Default chevy barn

any one heard anything about when the chevy barn will reopen?
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: chevy barn

I think it was recalled...
Old 06-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
green50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Good one Vic.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
flatjack9

Or looking for a bailout.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #5
Lanny

Here's another thread on the same subject.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82130

Old 06-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Or looking for a bailout.
I wouldn't doubt it.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
Snouts out

Any one know where I can get some Huck brake parts for a 1937 chev one ton?
Snouts out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:46 PM   #8
Graeme / New Zealand

I think it burnt down (hope it did)

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"

Last edited by Graeme / New Zealand; 06-25-2014 at 02:02 AM.
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
Vic Piano

I saw this on Face Book... Got a kick out of it...
Old 06-26-2014, 10:52 PM   #10
rooboy

Chevy barn..who cares.. i don't !!!!!!!
Get enough of their BS..visual and vocal pushed in my face in Aussie.
Am i BIAS..?? .....Just as much as they are....!
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:40 AM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

I believe the Chevy Barn is gone....never to be seen or heard from again. I also don't believe the owner of this website will ever make any further comments on these threads. JMO

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #12
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
Chevy barn..who cares.. i don't !!!!!!!
Get enough of their BS..visual and vocal pushed in my face in Aussie.
Am i BIAS..?? .....Just as much as they are....!
================================================== =======

Why is it Mostly the naysayers chiming in here, If some of you would like
to see the ChevyBarn revived, then let it be known, and speakup now,
if not, then John has it right.

Shelly started the ChevyBarn a few years ago, and alot of the FordBarn
members joined it. I didn't see anyone "Thumbing their nose" at it then.

It was steadilly growing, so obviously many of the FordBarn members did
care about the site, as well as new names that were joining as time went
on.

I hope Ryan makes good on his Promise, to get the ChevyBarn up and
running again, and turn it into a great site.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

If it was doing so well then what happen to it? Seems odd that a site with a lot of interest that was growing would suddenly stop.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #14
AnthonyG

Ooph, a lot of you guys are really tough on the old Chevy's. Though I do remember the old Ford GM competition when I was a kid, ( seems 100 yrs ago ) and obviously still alive and well. Especially liked the "it got recalled" and "looking for a bail out" No one here like the "Fix Or Repair Daily" one. Hopefully no real hate just good fun poking each other.

Having said all that there are more than a few old Chevy, old GM chat / club site for them too, just a couple are vcca.org, chevytalk.org, 67-72chevyboard.com.

I'm on both sides of the equasion having had old Vettes, a '57 Chevy Nomad and still have a '67 442 in the barn next to the '35 Tudor. Love and loved em all.
Tony
Old 06-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #15
Bob NH

I have to say with the wit on here, you guys offer lots of entertainment for not much money $$$ !
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #16
Steves46

Quote:
I saw this on Face Book... Got a kick out of it...
Now that is funny!
Old 06-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #17
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

The boss has a lot on his plate so if he says it will be back "it will be back". And I too would join because I also own chevys.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #18
Vic Piano

I've never owned a Chevy, but my wife wants an early Corvette so, I'd like to see the ChevyBarn reactivated.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #19
63tango

Quote:
Nice. LOL
63tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:07 AM   #20
HCO41

Kinda' makes ya wonder why most old Ford rodders use Chevy engines!
Howard
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #21
AnthonyG

Howard, very true but conversely most Chevy guys building a street rod choose '29 to '34 coupe / convert, Ford bodies and grill. Most motor heads know what looks / runs good.
All in good fun, LOL!
Tony
Old 06-28-2014, 08:50 AM   #22
dwaynec

Maybe the reason that the old time orders used Chevy V8s is that there were more of them available in the junk yards.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #23
Ronnieroadster

Wink Re: chevy barn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynec View Post
Maybe the reason that the old time orders used Chevy V8s is that there were more of them available in the junk yards.
Now that is funny and very true.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #24
JSeery
Member Emeritus

In reality it was because they were cheap, light weight, easy to fit into the old ford compartments and easy to work on. The chevy engine was designed to be cheap which worked out well for the hot rodders as that lead to the parts being light weight and simple in design.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #25
moefuzz

Quote:

Kinda' makes ya wonder why most old Ford rodders use Chevy engines
You seem to be confused.

...Because of the fact that "old chev guys" dont have any old gm bodies to put GM engines into, they are forced to use Original Quality Ford bodies, usually ripping out a probable running engine to put a poorly engineered 350 in.

If GM had focused on building a quality product over the last 100 years there would be lots of old gm cars running and driving with their original or updated engines intact. And just like Ford, there would be millions of old GM cars setting in the field all with their engines silently waiting to be brought back to life.

But because GM was more concerned with forcing their engineers to design 'a worse mouse trap', 99.99997% of all gm vehicles hit the scrap bin at an early date only to be recycled into something useful like an Electro-Lux or perhaps the screw that holds the rubber part of a toilet plunger onto it's handle.

There is a reason that GM went bankrupt just one year before it had a chance to turn 100 years old. Its just to dam bad that our hard earned tax dollars went to bail out such a lying thieving cesspit of greedy stock holders that could care little about how many people might die just to save .53 cents on an ignition switch that would turn itself off causing loss of control with no airbags or power.anti lock brakes to save you.

----------------------------------------------

It is interesting to note that up until the mid 1920's GM was a least trying to make a reasonable attempt at producing a viable product. It seems that an early failure of the company set into motion the GM that we have today.

In the early 20's, Chevrolet designed and manufactured a copper cooled 4 cylinder engine.
The engine was poorly engineered with very little money being put into research and development.
Because of it's lack of engineering/design, the engine was placed onto the market where it properly melted down after only a year or 2 of service.

The stock holders and accountants at GM learned a very important lesson about what became known as the 'Copper Clad Engine Disaster'.
First off, they learned that when the owners of those 2 year old cars came back to GM, they could
A) -sell them new part$ and/or
B) -Sick the new car sales staff on them and sell them a new car.

GM also learned that - from a lack of research and development (money) came the Copper Clad 4 cylinder engine that failed very handily -just after warranty- and that GM made more money selling you highly over priced parts more often - or just a new car more often..

It took a very 'wise man' to realize that thru a lack of quality/reliability came huge profit$ both in parts and new car sales.

The visionary who discovered this new way of profiteering was a young and up and coming executive by the name of Alfred Pritchard Sloan (or "The Prick" as his wife often called him)

GM promoted the visionary Sloan to CEO of GM and by 1927 GM had fully implemented Alfred Sloan's vision of "Planned Obsolescence", ...Instead of requiring GM's engineers to design "a better mouse trap", GM would have their engineers design a death date into E-v-e-r-y S-i-n-g-a-l GM Part. -Every part must be designed in such a way that it literally breaks in your hands as you operate it mere months after any implied warranties have expired.

-While Ford was engineering, designing and building parts/cars that could and would literally last forever while still being easily and inexpensively serviced by it's beloved owner,
GM/Sloan was designing parts that were increasingly difficult or impossible to take apart or repair over and above having certain built in design flaws that Would cause them to prematurely wear out or fall apart years ahead of time.

This point in automotive history came to be known as "Fordism versus Sloanism". (You can Google it).

-And while the GM camp likes to sugar coat how beneficial it has been to "Consumer/Economic Growth" to have parts like a "53 cent ignition switch" fail more often in order to spur consumer growth (spending), the Accountants, Stock holders and Chief Executives Officers turn a blind eye to the facts, -and could really care less about the 309+ proven deaths or 225,000+ injuries/accidents that have occurred simply because of the fact that the airbags failed to deploy after the ignition switch turned itself off causing a loss of control-ability.

----------------------------------------------------------

In the 1960's, It was a young Ralph Nader who pointed out that "among other things";

A) All GM cars have about a 1000% higher incident of doors popping open during impact or collision (not just a 'corvair problem') over rival car makers, Chrysler, Ford and Studebaker at speeds over 25 mph

B) While the automotive industry in general had switched to seat belts and padded dashes, GM was reluctant to add either seat belts or a padded dash as the "extra cost" would not really be of any benefit to the customer.

C) Certain GM models, (like the Corvair) had a serious steering column design flaw that upon frontal impact caused the steering column to thrust itself into the front seat area impaling the driver of said vehicle.

D) And that Corvair models in particular were very poorly conceived in that the lightness of the frontal/steering made them much more difficult to control on gravel or slippery surfaces.
This was due mainly to GMs insistence that they needed to compete with Volkswagen in having a rear engined car.

E) And that Corvair models in particular, having an "unequal length" double A-Frame style of rear suspension, were much more likely to overturn under emergency steering conditions as the unequal length rear suspension could easily fold under the car just as the cars driver was attempting to counter steer.

-Ralph Nader was subsequently targeted and slandered by General Motors for pointing out that-
'During emergency/evasive maneuvers, the rear wheels could buckle under causing upset and loss of control. Upon impact the steering column became a blunt spear usually entering the rib cage or chest but often impaling the head or neck area. Furthermore, a lack of seat belts meant that driver and passengers either slammed into the non padded dash or exited thru doors that popped open at about a 1000% higher rate than doors of rival manufacturers at speeds above 25 mph'.

....When the CEO of GM was brought before a congressional hearing to answer questions as to why
"GM, Unlike other manufacturers, does not supply Seat Belts?",

The Executive stated that GM doesn't believe that there was any proven benefit to $uppling things like seat belts or padded dashes to their customers.
-and That, "I teach my Children to put their arms out to brace themselves in case of an accident" and all of 'GM's customers are expected to do the same'.

After All, "Whats Good For GM, is Good For America"

---------------------------------------------

July 1st 2014, approximately 29,000,000 GM vehicles have been recalled since January 13 2014 due almost solely because of the fact that GM is under the microscope.

-If GM had Not been brought before Government Committees/Hearings,

How many recalls do you think this manufacturer would have voluntarily called?

------------------------------------------

The worst thing is that General Motors truly believes that of the 309+ deaths and 225,000 accidents thought to be directly caused by a . 53 cent savings in an ignition switch for General Motors, -They, GM Are Not Responsible For Any Claims, Lawsuits or Litigation made unto General Motors for Deaths or Injuries caused prior to GM's 2009 Bankruptcy and/or subsequent 'Bail Out' by the American Tax Payers irregardless of never actually having paid the full amount back.

-So the thousands of injured and/or morning customers who have -up until now- thought that the American Constitution had fully protected them from Gross Negligence of any single man or manufacturer,
Should obviously have firstly "put there arms out to brace themselves" but can now go F*ck themselves

In 2014, GM is Still Unsafe At Any Speed.
In and through-ought the last 90 years, or since 1924,
At GM, It's still just business as usual.

The chev barn is of no concern here

not just my humble opinion.

-

Last edited by moefuzz; 07-01-2014 at 10:35 PM.
moefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:32 AM   #26
Mart

^^ 2 posts up.

I guess that what they call a rant!

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #27
Bruce/CT

Just came past this old thread
Sure hope that MOEFUZZ got back on his medication. I've never seen a rant like that before.
Friend of mine just bought a 38 CHEVY that he plans to restore He asked me for websites like this aimed at his Bowtie.
Bruce/CT
Old 11-26-2014, 03:58 AM   #28
Lawrie

Even though I,m a ford man,you should not knock GM, you in the USA at least still have the choice of a locally manufactured vehicle,we here in Australia and New Zealand used to have this, after 2016 the last local manufacturer will be gone. a sad thing
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #29
JM 35 Sedan

I never get too emotional either way on Ford vs. GM. I obviously love the old Ford V-8's from '30's through '40's, but growing up in the '50's and '60's, I liked the GM products of that era just as much as the Ford's, especially when it came to the high performance cars of the '60's. Regarding todays modern cars, I can't say I am aligned too closely with any of the manufacturers, although I have the most respect for FOMOCO for not needing/accepting a handout/bailout when the others did.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote