Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
V12Bill

Default Uneaven braking

I have had problems with my 48 Lincoln ever since I first put it on the road with the brakes pulling to one side. I centered the shoes in the drum and adjust the star for each wheel and did the whole thing over several times. Today I pulled the drums and shoes and took them to a shop to have them arced to the drum. The shop owner didn't think that the contact with the lining and drum looked that bad and recommended that I not re-arc them I insisted that as lone as I was there to re-arc the lining to the drum. He started with the rear linings as the right rear seemed to be the trouble maker and found that when the shoes were relined they used hard and soft lining on that particular wheel. When the brakes warm up, they would grab!

The upstart of the story is that when all else fails, check to be sure that whoever lined the brakes, did the job right. The good news is that I found the problem, the bad news is that I have to reline all 4 wheels.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Bill S

Default Re: Uneaven braking

I have that problem on a 50 ford. Sometimes pulls left, sometimes right, and sometimes does not pull. Con't find any Orange county in So Calif. that arcs shoes.
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
cmbrucew

Bill S
Friction Materials in long beach can arc your shoes.
I have dealt with them almost 50 years.

Bruce

Works good
Lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
I have that problem on a 50 ford. Sometimes pulls left, sometimes right, and sometimes does not pull. Con't find any Orange county in So Calif. that arcs shoes.

The Bendix Duo-Servo brake that Ford used on '40s Lincolns/trucks and cars starting in '49 do not need or require shoe arcing because the shoes can center (float up and down) when applied, unlike the non-servo LockHeed brakes that have fixed (adjustable) shoe anchors.
Most shops stopped shoe arcing many years ago because of asbestos dangers, and/or the cost of proper dust capture/containment equipment when arcing shoes.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
Bob C

Doesn't matter if the shoes float or not, if they are not arced to the drum diameter you
are not going to get full drum to shoe contact.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Doesn't matter if the shoes float or not, if they are not arced to the drum diameter you

Bob

It isn't necessary with the later style brakes, as a proper burnish and a few miles will allow the shoes to fit the drums very well, but good luck finding a shop, and grind away!
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post

Bob
Amen to that! But, if this 'service' is no longer available for whatever reason, is there some such process that guy can do , on his own, using hand tools ...which may improve shoe/drum contact?
Q: Can shoe/drum matching/arcing be done on ANY type shoe..or no

Last edited by hardtimes; 07-25-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: ...
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
V12Bill

When I had my shoes re-arced, they did not need to be re-arced. They seemed to have worn in to a good fit. In the process of re-arcing the shoes my mechanic felt more resistance when passing the lining over the sanding disc when he came to the hard lining. Without going through the process of re-arcing we would have never known that one lining was harder than the rest. They all appeared to be the same. There are some jobs that the most able of DIY people can't do and relies on competent people to do properly. When it comes to brakes, good enough is not good enough.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote