Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2023, 09:37 AM   #1
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default A-37118 Windshield Finger Clip (Pull) Paint Question

On the M28-29 Finger Pulls, it specifies they were painted in the RG&JS, however it does not specify if they were Windshield Frame color, -or Black.

While I have seen them painted both in Black and the Windshield Frame colors, does anyone have a definitive answer (i.e.: proof) as to what is correct or authentic?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 09:46 AM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: A-37118 Windshield Finger Clip (Pull) Paint Question

I believe I heard somewhere that only very early open vehicles had black windshield frames, probably a carry over from the model T's. I am not 100% sure when the transition occurred, which is probably what you are questioning. On page 14-11 it says only vehicles mfg in 1927 had black enameled frames.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 10:36 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I believe I heard somewhere that only very early open vehicles had black windshield frames, probably a carry over from the model T's. I am not 100% sure when the transition occurred, which is probably what you are questioning. On page 14-11 it says only vehicles mfg in 1927 had black enameled frames.
Rusty Nelson
Hey Rusty. Actually what I am questioning is the Finger Pulls that were screwed onto the lower portion of the Windshield Frame.

In the Stds, it speaks that some Clips had screw heads that were ground smaller and the screw was painted with the frame. This would make sense (-at least for me ) for the Clips and Screws to be Windshield Frame color IF it was painted as an assembly. The however in this is, the operative word in the Stds' verbiage states, "some" were painted with the frame which likely means that not all Clips were painted with the Frame. For those, one could assume the Clips were dipped Black and used a Raven or Unfinished 10-32 Screw (A-20211-S3) to attach the Clip to the Frame. That is what I am wanting feedback on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-20211-S6 Oval Head Machine Screw 14.jpg (91.3 KB, 23 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-12-2023, 11:59 AM   #4
wrndln

I would sure think, like you, that the finger pulls would be painted along with the windshield. That is what I did for my 29 phaeton. Would Ford install the pulls after the frame is painted - I don't think so! If the info is not in the JG's, you shouldn't be docked points.
Rusty
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 12:50 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I would sure think, like you, that the finger pulls would be painted along with the windshield. That is what I did for my 29 phaeton. Would Ford install the pulls after the frame is painted - I don't think so! If the info is not in the JG's, you shouldn't be docked points.
Rusty
While I do like your logic posted above in Red, surely we would all agree there are many things in this world that do happen that 'shouldn't'!

Actually, this is not for a Fine Point Model-A, but more about doing it correctly.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com