Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-15-2023, 10:53 AM   #21
rich40701

Default Re: O/T Need to add water to a sealed battery.

Get a OPTIMA battery next time, Snyders sells a hold down shaped to fit and the battery comes with a 36 month warranty. I have one in my truck originally bought for a TR8 and it is 6 years old going strong.
rich40701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 12:55 PM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich40701 View Post
Get a OPTIMA battery next time, Snyders sells a hold down shaped to fit and the battery comes with a 36 month warranty. I have one in my truck originally bought for a TR8 and it is 6 years old going strong.
As a former Optima installer, I can unequivocally tell someone that Optimas are total junk since their manufacturing operation was moved to Mexico.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 02:29 PM   #23
Ayers1

Here's an idea, I don't know how the vent is exposed but could you use a turkey injector and squirt water back through the vent? The injector is just an oversized needle for spices to be injected in the meat before baking.
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 02:38 PM   #24
J Franklin

Just take it back when it fails if it is still in warrantee.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 08:55 PM   #25
marc silva

They aren’t sealed. Think about it. It still vents that’s where it leaked out. They have it figured out that it will take 4to 5 years for the water to go below the plates and bingo you need a new battery. Fill it back up and go. I have done that many times to my batteries and I can typically get 7 years out of them. I also keep them on maintainers. The one in my boat is 9 years old and works like a champ. Just sayin’
marc silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 09:07 PM   #26
marc silva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayers1 View Post
Here's an idea, I don't know how the vent is exposed but could you use a turkey injector and squirt water back through the vent? The injector is just an oversized needle for spices to be injected in the meat before baking.
I use interstate batteries and the caps are not glued on. The Delco ones aren’t either. You can pop them off you just need to figure out the best spot to pry on, and I bet even if they were glued on it’s not very good.
marc silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 08:18 AM   #27
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
We tried that but could not tell how much was going in vs. how much was running back out. The vent is not a straight shot from side to side. Filling a garbage can with water seemed to be the best way. Not sure how much actually went inside but we stopped adding water to the can when the air bubbles stopped.

With that said, because I was still unsure and just didn't want an issue later, I decided to take it back to the Rural King store to have them check it and to ask if they could show me the trick to popping the top off so we could verify the acid level. The asst. store manager was helpful when I brought it to the counter and told me they have no way to test it or check it. I told him what had happened and asked if he could assist me in removing the top even if they couldn't test it. I told him that I would accept any liability. His words were he was sorry but they did not have anyone to do that. He also said he was sorry that he could not be any more help. I explained it wasn't his fault and the problem was caused by us. I told him I was very appreciative and thanked him for at least trying. We were about to leave when he said let me check on something. He then said we want you as a customer and he radioed a worker to bring up a new replacement battery. He insisted that they would replace it because it was 7 months old. I tried to pay and this battery carries a 12 month free replacement and is 60 month prorated after that. Their warranty is better than the other retailers in my town, -and definitely their customer service is better, so instead of paying I am advertising for them that they want to be very accommodating, and they must feel strongly about their quality to offer that type of warranty.

So, I will never know whether submerging it actually completely refilled it or not, and I probably should have taken the chance, but it all worked out in the end.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 02-17-2023, 08:36 AM   #28
Ayers1

Awesome! Glad you got it worked out! I assume you're a steady customer there? I have always said it pays to shop at the same store and get to be known there. I have gotten a few breaks through the years by doing that instead of chasing prices all over town.
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:32 AM   #29
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Awesome! Glad you got it worked out! I assume you're a steady customer there? I have always said it pays to shop at the same store and get to be known there. I have gotten a few breaks through the years by doing that instead of chasing prices all over town.
Actually, RK is fairly new to our area, and people in our area are still mesmerized how it is like a Tractor Supply store on steroids in a WalMart building.

I have purchased about half a dozen batteries over the last 3 years or so, -so since they are all still functioning, I don't really have a good baseline as to their quality. I do know their 6 volt Group 1 battery that fits the Model-A is like $70.00, where as O'Reilly, NAPA, and AutoZone are all over $100 for their Group 1 battery. The RK battery is a 1 year free replacement and then prorated for the next year whereas the others are 90 day free replacement and then a 1 year prorated. My thought is to pay less for the same size battery and get a longer warranty is kind of a no brainer.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 02-17-2023, 10:04 AM   #30
Badpuppy

Apparently the mgr realized the battery should not have leaked in the first place and rightly replaced it under warranty.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 04:21 PM   #31
Ivan in southeast va.

I would replace it even if it has to come out of my pocket. Keep the one that turned over for yourself and use at a later date if you determine it's okay.
Ivan in southeast va. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 05:28 PM   #32
duke36

What is the Rural King battery number ? Many "sealed" top batteries, the tops come off if they are non AGM or other related types. Batteries in our area go upwards of $120 or more for longer lifers. RK's seem like a bargain. We see many sealed tops where charging circuits deplete the fluid and need to be refilled periodically with deionized or distilled water.
Glad the issue was resolved.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 08:30 AM   #33
Model "A" Fords

There seems to be considerable experience with battery's here! Does anyone have an opinion on the Battery Central Mall original look alike for the Model A? Who makes them? I took a chance and ordered one thinking of judging. Has anyone had experience with one or even know if it actually resembles an original?
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:20 AM   #34
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan in southeast va. View Post
I would replace it even if it has to come out of my pocket. Keep the one that turned over for yourself and use at a later date if you determine it's okay.
If this is directed at me suggesting what I should do, please go re-read the follow-up post above as they have already replaced it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke36 View Post
What is the Rural King battery number ? Many "sealed" top batteries, the tops come off if they are non AGM or other related types. Batteries in our area go upwards of $120 or more for longer lifers. RK's seem like a bargain. We see many sealed tops where charging circuits deplete the fluid and need to be refilled periodically with deionized or distilled water.
Glad the issue was resolved.
.......................6 Volt

.......................12 Volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model "A" Fords View Post
There seems to be considerable experience with battery's here! Does anyone have an opinion on the Battery Central Mall original look alike for the Model A? Who makes them? I took a chance and ordered one thinking of judging. Has anyone had experience with one or even know if it actually resembles an original?
From a distance, to the unknowing they look similar. When compared to an original Ford-supplied battery, even Helen Keller can 'see' the differences. If you need one for fine-point and cannot find an original, using one that East Penn made a few years ago and modifying it will pass without deduction. Most of those will need to be rebuilt though as their longevity sucked.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 02-19-2023, 01:32 PM   #35
Model "A" Fords

[/QUOTE]From Brent; If you need one for fine-point and cannot find an original, using one that East Penn made a few years ago and modifying it will pass without deduction. Most of those will need to be rebuilt though as their longevity sucked.

Thankyou for the information Brent. I guess the Battery on order will now be my spare and not for judging!
I do have one battery that is apparently an old reproduction and another one I understood was an original but they both look the same. They have vent caps that have the Ford logo sunk into them 1/8" and a 1" course thread. A copy of an original 1929 cap drawing notes the logo was proud 1/8" and has a larger thread diameter.
Were these changed or are mine both reproductions? The standards don't reference the caps. Is there some place to see the differences of the East Penn from the original?
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 02:44 PM   #36
ronn

see Brent- your charm does it every time!
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote