Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #1
Ricks56

Default Correct fuel sending unit found for 1956

After a lot of research, and much misinformation found, I finally found a fuel sending unit that works with my '56 Fairlane with a stock bi-metallic gauge. Dennis Carpenter has the correct one, Part # B6A-9275.

It is listed for '56 only; the paperwork that came with it says 1936-1955 Ford/Mercury cars, p/u trucks and 55 T Bird. It also says for a 6 or 12 volt system.

It is a rheostat type as opposed to the original bi-metallic strip unit. The ohms are 75 ohms full, 760 ohms empty. There is a float arm cutting chart in the paper work. This unit is very accurate at both full and near empty in my Fairlane. The gauge moves quite slowly to full (because of the bi-metallic gauge. I ran the tank down below 1/4 on the gauge and it took 11.4 gallons to fill it. The gauge now reads just a hair over full.

When I first got the car, the gas gauge was pegged when full and I ran out of gas at 1/2 on the gauge. The sending unit that was in the car was 33 ohms full and about 230 ohms empty. By trying various resistors, I determined that the gauge needed to have somewhere around 70-700 ohm range to be correct. Lucky for me, Dennis Carpenter listed the ohms range for their senders; a lot of vendors do not.

Hope this will help someone with sender problems in their Ford!

-Rick
Ricks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
Hunter73

Default Re: Correct fuel sending unit found for 1956

Thanks for the info! I saved this.
Hunter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:55 PM   #3
Jwawhite

I bought the unit defective out of the box, may be out of money for I've had it a long time. No reading for Ohms
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:52 PM   #4
Jwawhite

Yes, I'm still at it, the second sending unit was bad too.

My third one, I requested they check the ohms ok. I received the new Unit still in a sealed cellophane cover. ok

The reading on this gauge is 78/794 on 2000 ohms selection, Should work...
But won't be installing it for a few months.

The shaft has been cut to size per instructions.

At the wrecking yard there was a 56 wagon and I asked the parts puller to retrieve it for me. I come back later and the kid destroyed it!!! It seems the sender at the tank had an exterior condenser on it. Unusual design, there is a center plunger connected to the bar/float, that travels in and out of a flat hooped assembly....
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 11:32 AM   #5
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwawhite View Post
. . . .
It seems the sender at the tank had an exterior condenser on it. Unusual design, there is a center plunger connected to the bar/float, that travels in and out of a flat hooped assembly....
The original sensor had heated bi-metal on/off switching contacts. The condenser was there to cut down pitting & arcing on the contacts. It isn't needed on the 'new replacement' or variable resistor style sensors.

Photo 2 is a replacement style sensor. Photo 3 is the oem sensor, both in a '55.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 'King Seeley' fuel gauge diagram neg ground.jpg (72.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg fuel tank sender c.jpg (104.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg oem fuel sensor copy.jpg (41.2 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-23-2024 at 11:35 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 06:16 PM   #6
RKS.PA

I replaced the fuel tank on my '56 T Bird and got the Carpenter sending unit. For what ever reason, I could never get it to register correctly on my stock fuel gauge...maybe installer error in cutting the float rod???

In any event, I found a sending unit at CASCO specifically for a '56. Ohm reading is from 100 to 300 and part # is 9275B. My ohm reading was close to the advertised range and the instructions said not to bend the rod. Gauge would only read half full with a full tank so I bent the rod down and now it covers the full range from full to empty.

Very satisfying to have confidence that I won't run out of gas!!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 06:47 PM   #7
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwawhite View Post
Yes, I'm still at it, the second sending unit was bad too.

My third one, I requested they check the ohms ok. I received the new Unit still in a sealed cellophane cover. ok

The reading on this gauge is 78/794 on 2000 ohms selection, Should work...
But won't be installing it for a few months.

The shaft has been cut to size per instructions.

At the wrecking yard there was a 56 wagon and I asked the parts puller to retrieve it for me. I come back later and the kid destroyed it!!! It seems the sender at the tank had an exterior condenser on it. Unusual design, there is a center plunger connected to the bar/float, that travels in and out of a flat hooped assembly....
A kid that can't even pick parts for a customer with a for sure sale. Oh he will go far in life. What a winner.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote