Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2016, 04:28 AM   #1
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Ever wonder?

I was looking up a couple of things and came across several Barner's that posted a question and never posted again even after receiving a multitude of well thought out and doable solutions.

Ever wonder what happens to them?
Old 04-24-2016, 04:59 AM   #2
1930marie

Default Re: Ever wonder?

I truly love my cars and working on them, however, the current state of the economy requires me to work more hours than in past years leaving little time for my beloved hobby. Additionally, parts cost money! I'm fairly certain the "missing" posters are still perusing FB and enjoying the threads, I know I am!
Old 04-24-2016, 05:24 AM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I feel many of the posters are not computer savvy and don't have the computer educate to post a follow up or even a thankyou. I do feel they use the advice given to fix their problem.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:02 AM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I am thinking the opposite on computer literacy. I think they are so computer literate that this is but one source of information. I doubt that there are many Fordbarn users that are as computer literate as my children and grandchildren. We are the text book generation and the new generation are the Computer age. We work more with tools whereas the young people now a days work with computer logic. The computer is a common tool now whereas to us it was a new device we learned at a later age. The old engineer used a slide rule which is now antiquated instrumentation. Let some of the old mechanics try to fix the computer on my new Cadillac. They would not even know where to start. Don't sell the new generation short. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #5
Cockshutt Kid

Forever 4, did you ever call that correctly. it is highly evident that the people designing anything new never held a screwdriver or did anything manual in their lives. Up here I am starting to see a consumer backlash against new foreign made plastic junk. This includes products from the smallest household items to large ticket items such as automobiles. a good example is new cars that the visibility is so bad you cannot see to back them up. The solution is to install cameras instead of redesigning the body and windows. The prices have also gotten ridiculous because of our tree hugging governments who have driven all business overseas. Shipping cost are now higher than what a vehicle once cost. Sorry about the rant, but I just spent two days trying to get garden equipment running after winter and there is not one bolt that you can actually reach to put a wrench on to remove the plastic carburetor that the ethanol fuel has plugged up.
Cockshutt Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:09 AM   #6
Barry B./ Ma.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I still have my 29 coupe and enjoy the conversation on the barn but the coupe has no particular problems and I sold most of my other Model A's. I have bought a later (1986) pickup and am presently sorting out a few problems with it. Due to my age, retirement and the economy there just isn't the money to start another Model A restoration so I'll enjoy the one I have and try to help others with theirs.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

[QUOTE=forever4;1282795]Based on the questions asked, I feel that many of the young newcomers and posters are not mechanically inclined and don't own tools. But at least they are here and are getting started.

When I hired into my OEM Automotive Engineering job 35 years ago, it seemed every other guy including me had a garage project, restoring Buicks, Packards, Tri Chevies, Corvettes, or some other old or collectible car. Other were weekend racers at Michigan International Speedway.

Nowadays, new engineers we hire know how to model in Catia, UniGraphics, or some other modeling software, but have no clue about how to use a hand or powertool, fix a bicycle or lawnmower, or build a doghouse. No mechanical aptitude whatsoever is apparent.

In the seven years since I got back from China, the industry has been recovering, and we have been hiring like crazy, yet only two new guys I know have a hands-on Project. One restored a 1967 Corvette, and the other is working on a 1932 henry steel traditional flathead powered hot rod. Both their dads were car guys and OEM engineers also.

I am sure there must be others with project cars, but it is not evident. Two thirds of the automotive engineering workforce today seems to be composed of women and foreigners (H1B) who might own a screwdriver, a crescent wrench, and a claw hammer. All of them own the latest smart phone which they are glued to throughout the work day. Must be why we have to hire so many more people than years ago. Maybe they are all on Fordbarn during the work day?? [/QUOTEDon't ever under estimate the abilities of foreign and female engineers. They are the future of the industry! Wayne
Old 04-24-2016, 08:13 AM   #8
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
I feel many of the posters are not computer savvy and don't have the computer educate to post a follow up or even a thankyou. I do feel they use the advice given to fix their problem.

You're being nice, and, I think, diplomatic Mitch.

I've seen some here get mad and respond as such to good answers that were given. Others I think just don't have the courtesy to respond.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #9
johnneilson

Boy, did forever4 hit the nail squarely. It does not apply to the car hobby only.

I see two causes for this;
1. there are no shop classes offered in the school systems today.
2. since everyone is entitled to have a college education, there are not enough facilities for everyone to take FULL responsibility of doing assignments/projects.

Do not get me wrong, I know that it takes a team of individuals to accomplish great things, but that team needs to be comprised of individuals with experience.

I too use SolidWorks and AutoCAD, these are tools just like a screwdriver and without real world experience can design assemblies/parts that can never be assembled.

John
Old 04-24-2016, 09:33 AM   #10
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Based on the questions asked, I feel that many of the young newcomers and posters are not mechanically inclined and don't own tools. But at least they are here and are getting started.

When I hired into my OEM Automotive Engineering job 35 years ago, it seemed every other guy including me had a garage project, restoring Buicks, Packards, Tri Chevies, Corvettes, or some other old or collectible car. Other were weekend racers at Michigan International Speedway.

Nowadays, new engineers we hire know how to model in Catia, UniGraphics, or some other modeling software, but have no clue about how to use a hand or powertool, fix a bicycle or lawnmower, or build a doghouse. No mechanical aptitude whatsoever is apparent.

In the seven years since I got back from China, the industry has been recovering, and we have been hiring like crazy, yet only two new guys I know have a hands-on Project. One restored a 1967 Corvette, and the other is working on a 1932 henry steel traditional flathead powered hot rod. Both their dads were car guys and OEM engineers also.

I am sure there must be others with project cars, but it is not evident. Two thirds of the automotive engineering workforce today seems to be composed of women and foreigners (H1B) who might own a screwdriver, a crescent wrench, and a claw hammer. All of them own the latest smart phone which they are glued to throughout the work day. Must be why we have to hire so many more people than years ago. Maybe they are all on Fordbarn during the work day??
and this is why cars nowadays look like plastic Easter eggs and sound like electric razors. I don't like many cars at all past about 1995....
Old 04-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #11
qstott

Since I am definitely a "newbe", I have to say just how much I do appreciate the advice given here. I've only had a few postings and my questions were answered promptly and the advice was very well received. I try to make a point to reply or post a thread about the out come.

It seems the polite thing to do. I feel if someone takes the time to respond, the least I can do is share the results.
qstott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #12
jrelliott

I agree with forever4 as many of the engineers today do not have mechanical aptitude. When I went to jrhigh school, we were required to take mechanical drawing and had both a woodworking class in 7th grade and metal working in eight grade. Not only did that give the students an idea of how things went together, but you learned how to visualize objects I was very luck and my father was a mechanic for a while and had cars and many other motors around that I learned to take apart and rebuild. I eventually became an Electronics Technician, then got a degree in Electrical Engineering. While a manager, we were hiring a lot of college students and my criteria was wanted a better than 3.0 grade average and had worked their way through college. The ones with a 4.0 grade average and never worked at an type of manual labor job before completing college did not want in the manufacturing engineering jobs and they would hurt themselves if given a screwdriver.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

One thing that keeps me posting, to try to help others, is some of the PM's I've recieved.
One Guy spent 2 years trying to get his car to run & threatened to sell or junk it!
He said to me, "Bill, with your help, it's running, the Wife & I are dashing around everywhere & having the time of our life, Bill, don't you & the Dog EVER stop posting"!
Bill W. & Buster T.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:16 AM   #14
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qstott View Post
Since I am definitely a "newbe", I have to say just how much I do appreciate the advice given here. I've only had a few postings and my questions were answered promptly and the advice was very well received. I try to make a point to reply or post a thread about the out come.

It seems the polite thing to do. I feel if someone takes the time to respond, the least I can do is share the results.

You're right. The vast majority of folks do respond positively in one way or another. But, as in everything, there are a few,,,,,
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:24 AM   #15
Jim Mason

The value of anything is directly proportional to the amount of work that goes into it. since no effort is required by the person asking ,the perceived value is negligible. Therfore no response is needed. I tend to give incomplete answers and point toward sources, that with effort, the answer can be discovered. This also is perceived as valuless.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #16
tinman080

I was raised in a household chronically short of money. We fixed it ourselves or it didn't get fixed. From cars to plumbing and furnaces, tv's etc. This kind of upbringing teaches you how things are made, what's bad, and what's good. I pass the high schools now, I'd say 40-50% of the student's cars are more upscale, expensive or better equipped than what I've worked for my entire life. Good for them, but they miss the ''hands on'' aspect of living. They can buy what they want, I have to build mine from scratch. I'm probably more greatful for advice than a lot of people. Gary
Old 04-24-2016, 11:37 AM   #17
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Iwas at a seminar last year when a respected scholar suggested that in many professions you now become a dinosaur at 55 years of age. He stated that with the advent of the computer age he would much rather have a 30 year old mechanic work on his car than a 55 year old. As he said the 30 year old is likely current whereas the 55 year old either can't or won't keep up to date with all the changes. I agree with him more every day. Wayne.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:43 AM   #18
ModelAMike1930

I try to exhaust all possibilities before ever asking for help here do to the sarcastic response on my very 1st post on here.. I made a list of who the "A" "H"'s were and always disregard on anything they say. The few times I had no choice I did thank the helpful responses..
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #19
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I was looking up a couple of things and came across several Barner's that posted a question and never posted again even after receiving a multitude of well thought out and doable solutions.

Ever wonder what happens to them?
Hey Mike,
'them' are called lurkers...not a bad thing and IMO their numbers would open eyes as to how many members Ryan's Fordbarn site really has !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #20
William Kelchner

Smile Re: Ever wonder?

I work on my 30 Roadster even though I haven't a clue what I'm doing. My A has not been run since last summer - was working in the garage this morning, looked at it and really felt guilty. After a bit of coaxing it started up and ran good. I know it is trying to lure me out on the road and then leave me stranded.

I do not touch my A without consulting the Barn for advice. Great forum. Cheers
William Kelchner is offline   Reply With Quote