Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2022, 09:56 PM   #1
608bill55

Default Tudor roof batting

What thickness and material does one use over the muslin fabric of a 1930 tudor sedan roof? I really do not want to use the synthetic padding that the Classtique kit provided as I would like it to replicate the original.
608bill55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:51 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Tudor roof batting

We don't use synthetic either. We use 0.250" thick cotton batting for tops that we purchase direct, but you can likely use two thicknesses of quilt batting which would probably equal the ¼" thickness you need.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:13 AM   #3
BillCNC

Why, what's the issue with synthetic? Wouldn't the synthetic last far longer over time than cotton? I ask because I'm going to be redoing my top over the summer and was planning on going with synthetic padding.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:40 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
Why, what's the issue with synthetic? Wouldn't the synthetic last far longer over time than cotton? I ask because I'm going to be redoing my top over the summer and was planning on going with synthetic padding.

Regards
Bill
The biggest reason is IMHO, using synthetic makes the top of the body look bloated (i.e.: pregnant! ). Using real cotton batting just looks more authentic. The edge of cotton is shredded to make it taper into a smooth transition where the mouldings capture it. Additionally, real cotton will outlast the rubberized leather top material anyway, so using one over the other because of longevity is moot.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 02:39 PM   #5
BillCNC

OK, I understand now. Maybe the edges could trimmed / thinned?

When it comes to materials, for most projects I have always chosen synthetic over natural because natural would start to rot and mold over time if you had a small unknown leak. I would think that if it did get wet, synthetic materials would dry faster than naturals.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 02:54 PM   #6
ursus

Synthetic batting just doesn't provide that old car smell. On the other hand, I am glad that the Model A didn't have horsehair stuffed seat cushions like some other cars of that era.
ursus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:59 AM   #7
rotorwrench

Natural cotton fibers are hard to beat. Getting cotton padding with relatively few seed linters is not as easy as it once was but a low concentration of linters shouldn't affect the appearance after the top material is applied and secured. The synthetic fibers don't pack the same way as natural cotton so it tends to be a bit puffy but it works. I think the thin layer of cotton provides a firmer padding in the same thickness as synthetic. This is why it was used for seat padding for so many years. It compresses to a certain point and then it stays relatively stable over time. Foam rubber eventually replaced a lot of the cotton but that only lasted till poly foam became more common and it was a lot lighter and easier to work with. It could be made more or less dense easily to get a firm lower layer while also adding a cushy layer for comfort on top.

This doesn't have much to do with batting but it explains a bit about the natural fibers of cotton. On aircraft coverings for the old fabric covered aircraft, there are several choices for fabrics. The cotton fabric has a nice tight weave and it shrinks with moisture and dope applications to tighten it. Another choice is synthetic Dacron Polyester fabric. It doesn't shrink at all with moisture or dope application so it has to be shrunk with heat prior to dope application. The weave is more course than cotton and it takes more dope applications to get it to be relatively smooth. Cotton can be as smooth as glass with a lot less dope on the surface. The synthetic last a lot longer in service but it never looks quite as good as the cotton. The dope/paint coatings don't adhere as well on synthetic since it doesn't soak into the fibers and can crack & peel on some jobs. Natural linen fabric was used by the European aircraft manufacturers over cotton fabric to a large degree since it is very much like cotton and the supply was greater to their local needs. The longevity of linen is greater and the fibers are stronger than cotton but it's not as easy to get quality linen aircraft cloth as it used to be. Most folks use dacron polyester in the modern era because it lasts longer. Recover jobs are very expensive.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-14-2022 at 10:10 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 10:37 PM   #8
chrs1961815

Cotton is superior but mice like it more than synthetic material.