Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2022, 08:10 PM   #1
SoCalCoupe

Default 41 business coupe weatherstrip headache

The door weatherstripping on my '41 business coupe is beyond end of life. Sounded so easy to order a new set of Bob Drake brand with self adhesive and install it quickly. NOT!!!

1. The adhesive does not adhere. Bought some Permatex weatherstrip adhesive to solve the problem, BUT....

2. There's almost no room between the leading edge of the door and the door frame to fiddle the weatherstrip into place. Can't apply adhesive to the door frame, no room. Worse, once you touch the weatherstrip to the adhesive, sounds like you done. No option to fiddle it around and poke it into place.

Help!!!

I suppose I could remove the door, but in my book that's a major project. Any experience doing this without removing the door?
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:45 PM   #2
fordor41

Default Re: 41 business coupe weatherstrip headache

On our '41 fordor, I applied the w.s adh with a long small brush and fiddled the w/s into place. It is a b***h but can be done with the door on. good luck

Last edited by fordor41; 05-29-2022 at 10:08 PM.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:42 PM   #3
paul2748

Might try wax paper to line the weatherstrip up and then pull out the wax paper. Never tried it in that application, but it worked in other applications that I had.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:25 PM   #4
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post
On or '41 fordor, I applied the w.s adh with a long small brush and fiddled the w/s into place. It is a b***h but can be done with the door on. good luck
Thanks for the advice. Been putting this off for weeks; I hate working with paint, glue, adhesives or anything related. It usually doesn't go well.

This turned out ok. The paintbrush was the ticket. Got in touch with my inner man at JoAnn Fabrics and Crafts to find just the right one. Don't think I left any visible splotches.

Only one door done. I removed the old weatherstrip from only one side. It's going to take a while to get motivated to do the other side.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:11 AM   #5
AnthonyBarron

The ones you have, how long did they last before they wanted to come to life? I had some that didn't last more than 6 months if I remember correctly. I'm also looking for ones that will last longer. I also thought about paying for a new vehicle which will be trouble free.So I'm planning on taking out a secured loan, because according to an article I read that you can check over here, this is the best option. What do you think about it? Or is it just better to have the repair done by a professional ?

Last edited by AnthonyBarron; 07-22-2022 at 09:51 AM.
AnthonyBarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:40 AM   #6
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyBarron View Post
The ones you have, how long did they last before they wanted to come to life? I had some that didn't last more than 6 months if I remember correctly. I'm also looking for ones that will last longer.
Purchased the car less than a year ago so don't have any information on how long it's been in place. It wasn't custom molded, it was just some flat strips glued to the door frame that didn't seal very well.

The new stuff I bought was custom molded from Bob Drake.