Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2022, 09:18 AM   #21
ETAModel

Default Re: 700 miles in a tired Model A

Interesting, but long video. Of course you can't film a 714 mile road trip in an A in 7 minutes.
Tennessee...I knew I recognized that accent ��
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:22 AM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
This is an entertaining video about a new to Model A owner who won a tired Model A on eBay by accident. He had no previous experience with Model A's but had some mechanical knowledge. He decided to drive the car 700 miles home. This is about his trip and some of the hardships along the way. It is sort of funny but gives some insight on what to do if you buy a Model A.
...or NOT to do!!

While most of us (-me included) feel like the $11k was too much, a large part of that purchase price will be offset by YouTube royalty earnings that Derek receives from posting that and subsequent videos. He will likely get a million views just off of that one video! His salary as a content provider is earned by just making videos, and he has a gift with topics and the way he pronounces words to be entertaining which lets him have over a million subscribers. Advertisers like that.

One side note though, if the paint was still good (-not cracked or chipping & flaking) imagine how that would be called a nicely restored car. Most of us here would cringe if we were forced to drive that car 700 miles. I'm sure the reason why Derek did not, is he likely had a truck and trailer located off-camera as his "insurance plan" in case of failure.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:29 AM   #23
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETAModel View Post
Interesting, but long video. Of course you can't film a 714 mile road trip in an A in 7 minutes.
Tennessee...I knew I recognized that accent ��
Ummm, Derek is actually from either North Dakota or South Dakota (-can't remember which one), and only moved here recently. He does not sound like most of the 10-uh-C residents who live here.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-28-2022, 10:28 AM   #24
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Most of us here would cringe if we were forced to drive that car 700 miles. I'm sure the reason why Derek did not, is he likely had a truck and trailer located off-camera as his "insurance plan" in case of failure.
You are probably correct, Brent but I don't like to think so. I remember one episode where Derek bought a car that had sat for ~20 years or so, got it running and the car broke down while driving 600 miles home. He then buys a junk car hauler, gets it running and finishes the trip with his junk car on the back of the junk hauler.

Pretty entertaining and Derek is pretty dang knowledgable.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:24 PM   #25
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
You are probably correct, Brent but I don't like to think so. I remember one episode where Derek bought a car that had sat for ~20 years or so, got it running and the car broke down while driving 600 miles home. He then buys a junk car hauler, gets it running and finishes the trip with his junk car on the back of the junk hauler.

Pretty entertaining and Derek is pretty dang knowledgable.
Of course not, ...none of us want to think it is staged, -or fake. The unfortunate thing is 'Reality TV' really isn't reality. Reality is what Ron Cloat did some 20+ years ago when he went to the Dakotas and drove an unrestored Model-A Fordor back to Illinois. That story chronically a week of travels used to be on Vince's site. I haven't looked for it in a decade or longer, but it is worth reading if you have not and its still there.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-28-2022, 02:26 PM   #26
Terry, NJ

I've been following Derek Beiri (I think that's how you spell his name) for some time now. I believe since he bought a black and white 56 Buick hardtop back from Texas to Minnesota or South Dakota. It quit in the middle somewhere and he had to buy a pick up and trailer to finish the trip.Either he inherited a lot of money from his grandparents or he has a well paying job. He is a fascinating guy! Not only is he pretty knowledgeable about cars that are much older than he is, but he is pretty good with "Farmer Fixes" to get home with. He is also appreciative of the contemporary engineering (Then). All in all, his adventures are very enjoyable to watch.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:48 PM   #27
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
I've been following Derek Beiri (I think that's how you spell his name) for some time now. I believe since he bought a black and white 56 Buick hardtop back from Texas to Minnesota or South Dakota. It quit in the middle somewhere and he had to buy a pick up and trailer to finish the trip.Either he inherited a lot of money from his grandparents or he has a well paying job. He is a fascinating guy! Not only is he pretty knowledgeable about cars that are much older than he is, but he is pretty good with "Farmer Fixes" to get home with. He is also appreciative of the contemporary engineering (Then). All in all, his adventures are very enjoyable to watch.
Terry

What I keep wondering is.....how many tools he must have! Every time he gets a different vehicle he has to buy new tools to get him home! lol
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:08 PM   #28
jb-ob

Maybe his day job is a Snap-On route ???
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:53 PM   #29
wwirz

Watched this video today. Enjoyed it. The video certainly speaks to the design of the Model A and durability. He says he is going to restore it. I hope to see this in upcoming videos.
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:42 PM   #30
ETAModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Ummm, Derek is actually from either North Dakota or South Dakota (-can't remember which one), and only moved here recently. He does not sound like most of the 10-uh-C residents who live here.
Hey Cousin, of course I was being tongue in cheek. I have family in Danville, Madisonville, and around Rabun Gap.

I figured the accent was from the Dakotas, reminded me of Fargo. I kept waiting for the Ya, sure, you betcha.

Last edited by ETAModel; 03-28-2022 at 07:53 PM.
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:18 AM   #31
rfitzpatrick

ETAModel
Had a guy in the Air Force spell Ohio --- O-H-Ten
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote