Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2024, 12:55 AM   #1
JohninKuranda

Default Holley G issue (again!)

A few weeks ago I removed the Holley G carburettor from my Model T as I wanted to install a stopcock in the fuel line. Prior to this I needed to lock multigrips on the rubber hose to the carburettor. (The petcock was firmly attached to the carby.) I had already determined to service the Holley G at the same time and had obtained a replacement gasket set. I drained out all the fuel and disposed of it. Installed the stopcock.

Back to the Holley G. After taking it apart I took the opportunity to clean out any gunk in the bowl as well as check the float. Put on the new gaskets. Sought guidance as to the positioning of the fuel pick up tube. Reinstalled the carburettor.

I have now spent the last few hours trying to get the T to start. I called in assistance from a fellow local enthusiast to check what I had been doing. The Holley G has been on and off the T several times. I have disassembled and reassembled several times.

The electrics are all working - there is a strong spark across the plugs. There is plenty of new fuel getting to the bowl. I have removed the plugs and sniffed each cylinder; but there is just no fuel smell. Obviously something has happened that means that the fuel is not being drawn up to the cylinders.

Any ideas on what I have missed/over-looked/done?

Many thanks
John
JohninKuranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 01:37 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Holley G issue (again!)

Take the top off and look to see the puddle in the well, use something as a dipstick to check the level in the well, the dykes book says 1/16 to 1/8 below the rim of the well.
It worked for me, but was hard to start the first time with the mixture needle at 1-1/2 turns, mine likes 3/4 turn to 1
The higher the level in the well the richer idle is, so the idle mixture adjustment is the float level it seems.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 02:16 AM   #3
J Franklin

Try some starter fluid.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 03:43 AM   #4
Dodge

Where did your fuel shutoff come from? The one from Lang's I bought need to have the
lever pointed straight back for fuel to flow. It is shut off at 90 degrees and shut off with lever ponted straight forward.

Open up the fuel bowl drain and see when it gets fuel.

Just say'in
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote