Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2022, 12:28 PM   #1
Bobby O

Default lights

HI guys. Coming home last night, I had cars flashing their lights on me. When I stopped for gas ai checked out the back end. Found I didn't have any taillights. Everything else was working, directionals, brake lights, headlights, dashboard lights all interior lights. Changed bulbs in the rear this morning. Looked for loose connections, found nothing. Could it be the switch. Any Ideas Thank You.
Bobby O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:52 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: lights

Assuming this is in your '55 Victoria. ?

Here's a headlight switch wiring diagram.
Terminal "R" on the switch powers the: tail lights, instrument panel lights, shifter light (T-Birds & ?) and the license plate light.

If all of those are not working, the wire connector(s) may have come off the switch, or the switch may be bad. Check the switch terminal with a meter or test light.

If some of them are working the switch is likely ok and you should look for a disconnected or damaged Black wire to the tail lights, likely under the dash or in the trunk on the left side to the tail light.
In the trunk are junctions for the license plate light and right side tail light.

If a previous owner was into low budget diy repairs you may want a good wiring diagram...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/37264451495...MAAOSwgyxWXcek

Also double check the tail light screws holding the whole assembly to the body of the car. If they're loose or corroded they're not electrically grounding well and will cause weird tail light problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headlight switch wiring diagram.jpg (58.5 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-05-2022 at 01:52 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:57 PM   #3
oldbugger

fuse?
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 01:00 PM   #4
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbugger View Post
fuse?
Nope. '55 thru '57 the headlight switch has built-in thermal circuit breakers.
They are/should be self resetting.
The only original fuse for exterior lighting is for the turn-signal flasher.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg turn signal switch wiring.jpg (43.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-20-2022 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-05-2022, 01:04 PM   #5
rotorwrench

It could be the light switch or wiring. Brake lights and turn signals are different circuits than running lights. Running lights to the tail end likely only have one wire to the left and a cross over wire to the right. Swampy areas where moisture can get to the wiring would be suspect places to look. I'd have to know what year model and type of vehicle to help much more.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 01:51 PM   #6
Bobby O

I have a 1955 Victoria.
Old 09-05-2022, 07:58 PM   #7
paul2748

See my reply on Y-blocksforever
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 11:19 PM   #8
Daves55Sedan

If both tail-lamps are not illuminated but all other lights are working, including blinkers, the first thing I would check is the first black wire bullet connector coupling at the driver side tail light. The black wire may be disconnected, but if it is not, the bullet connector coupling may be corroded inside. (the bullet connector coupling is the rubber coated tube-shaped metal wire terminal. Note that this coupling will have Two black wires on one end of the terminal; one to the left tail-lamp and the other crosses over to the right tail-lamp along the tail panel.

If the coupling is bad it can be cleaned with a small wire-brush, but you should coat the inside with hi-dielectric silicone grease using a pipe-cleaner.
If you've had your hand under the dash recently, you may have accidentally pulled the push-on terminal off the "R" circuit of the headlight switch.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 09:04 AM   #9
Bobby O

I've tried everything. New switch, checked the wires, checked lights w/key on. Don't know where else to look. All the lights work. Directionals, everything but the taillights. Does anything connect to the ignition switch? It's
got me baffled. Does the car have to be running. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:26 AM   #10
dmsfrr

Start with a test light on the "R" terminal of the headlight switch, looking for power. Since your dash panel lights are working (they're powered from the same R terminal) I'll guess that terminal on the headlight switch is working when the lights are turned 'on'.

Unless the Black wire back to the left rear tail light is damaged on the way there, the next connector is near the left rear tail light. Check for power there.
If you're getting power on the R terminal but not at the tail lights, roll out a length of wire to use as a temporary jumper... from the R terminal on the switch (or any more convenient Battery power terminal) back to the left rear tail light connector and see if they work.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-20-2022 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-20-2022, 11:07 AM   #11
Bobby O

I used a jumper wire from the switch to the taillights and it worked. I guess i have a break somewhere in between I can't find. Not going to look for it. Just going to run a good length of wire from the switch to the taillights. By any chance do you know what gage wire to use. Thanks so much you have been very helpful.
Old 10-20-2022, 11:24 AM   #12
oldskool

i would run 14ga if your still 6v
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 11:57 AM   #13
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby O View Post
I used a jumper wire from the switch to the taillights and it worked. I guess i have a break somewhere in between I can't find. Not going to look for it. Just going to run a good length of wire from the switch to the taillights. By any chance do you know what gage wire to use. Thanks so much you have been very helpful.
Use the same gauge wire the car already has for the Black tail light wire.
As you're running the replacement wire you may find the original problem. Possibly crushed / cut under a mounting bolt for something, seat belts?
Old 10-20-2022, 12:01 PM   #14
Bobby O

I converted to 12v. I have a spool of 14ga. so I guess that's Okay. Once again Thank you so much.
Old 10-20-2022, 11:18 PM   #15
Daves55Sedan

Watch out where the dash to tail wire harness is routed under the floorcovering, especially under the back seat. The original harness was run over to the driver-side corner where the back seat bench is then into the trunk space behind the seat frame. If that wiring harness got bumped out of position or crushed under the seat frame, you may have a couple of grounded wires there.
Also, pull out that same wire harness from the clips running along the top of the wheel-well and under the cardboard rear quarter sill cover. Inspect individual wires for cuts caused by the metal clips and tape them up good (individually). It will be necessary to remove a portion of the original woven cloth fabric covering the wire harness to make repairs. Any place that had problems should be taped around the whole harness with good electricians tape, then stuff the harness back in the original clips.
Old 10-20-2022, 11:25 PM   #16
Daves55Sedan

It would be extremely un-usual for tail light elements in both bulbs to burn out, but it is possible. Usually it is the one black wire or terminal feeding them both.
Remove both bulbs and use your car battery to check both elements on each bulb.
Carefully clamp a test ground wire to your battery ground post and touch ONE element at a time to the +12v batt terminal post.
If one of the elements does not light, you have a bulb with one element burnt out. A bulb replacement will eventually fix this, but NOT UNTIL after wiring has been checked for dead short to ground as previously discussed.