Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
John Stone

Default Why did I buy this?

I was looking thru my stuff yesterday and found an almost new 3/8X32 tap and die. I cannot remember why I bought it but it must be something for an A. Now consider I had viral meningitis last February and was out for a few days. Brain must have forgotten a few things but not all. Just why did I buy that tap and die?
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
Licensed to kill

Default Re: Why did I buy this?

Being that 32 is NF thread and almost everything on an A is NF thread, perhaps you bought it to chase threads, bolts and nuts and captured nuts. It seems to me that when I tore my '31 DD down to bare frame there was a LOT of 3/8-32 bolts. Do you recall a buggered up thread somewhere?.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:28 PM   #3
Patrick L.

Apparently you wanted to make or chase some 3/8X32 threads at some time. Seems like a wise a$$ answer, but, its the only answer I can think of.

I don't know why 32 would be needed. 16 and 24 are standard/normal course and fine thread. Thats probably why you asked the question.

Last edited by Patrick L.; 10-16-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
slammin

Actually a fine 3/8 thread is a 3/8-24 UNF, a 3/8-32 is classified as an extra fine thread, UNEF.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
Wm J.

John, you bought it to chase the tube threads in the rear main cap. Or to enlarge from the 5/16" tube in the 28 thru mid 30 cap.
Wm J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:16 PM   #6
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin View Post
actually a fine 3/8 thread is a 3/8-24 unf, a 3/8-32 is classified as an extra fine thread, unef.
doh!!
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #7
Terry, NJ

Hang on to it! One never knows and that one would be tough to find. I collect weird threads, taps and dies. I think I Have that one and 3/8 X 20 too. The main advantage of a fine thread is the root dia (The deepest part of the thread) is larger and therefore the bolt is stronger. Threads like 3/8 X 32 and finer are used in guns and instruments.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
John Stone

Now I remember. I have some thin walled tubing to make the rear main drain tube. The problem yesterday was trying to measure the pitch on a lot of original tubes and they are all over the place. People must have used what they had in the tool box. I just couldn't get a consensus. Even tried with some new ones and they didn't all agree. Just went out and tried again and a lot are 32 pitch. Measured 19 old ones and 5 new ones. Thanks for the response to set my brain back in motion.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:57 PM   #9
Chuck Sea/Tac

Yes that’s the tap for the rear main cap tube.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #10
old car guy

JOHN sorry about the past sickness but it might not have had anything to do with your memory. I am constantly finding things previously bought that I had forgotten about. Sometimes it’s like Christmas when you find something really neat and it’s (new all over again). The wife and I have been setting aside building materials for a new house that’s in the plans next spring and we did a inventory recently and found that we have double bought a few items along the way. So it’s all cool now you have a new tap and will find a use for it, if you can remember where you put it when you need it.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:56 PM   #11
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by old car guy View Post
JOHN sorry about the past sickness but it might not have had anything to do with your memory. I am constantly finding things previously bought that I had forgotten about. Sometimes it’s like Christmas when you find something really neat and it’s (new all over again). The wife and I have been setting aside building materials for a new house that’s in the plans next spring and we did a inventory recently and found that we have double bought a few items along the way. So it’s all cool now you have a new tap and will find a use for it, if you can remember where you put it when you need it.
Maybe just as bad, I have come across special tools I have made and can't remember what for!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:25 AM   #12
wingski

John, I hope you are completely over that meningitus. You reminded me of something that happened last year. My wife and I were camping and I met this elderly man. He told me he was pushing 90 and having one heck of a time remembering things. I told him I was in the same boat although not as old, but I had figured out why. When he asked what I had come up with, I told him that I believed this. When we were young our brains were like a sponge just sucking up anything that came along. However, now we’re old and those sponges are full. New thoughts might stick to our sponges for awhile, but most just fall off like they were never even there.

The old guy thought for a minute before saying that he thought the sponge idea was a good one and we talked and laughed for awhile before parting.

None of this is going to help you or me remember where we put a tool or a part, but at least we can blame it on our sponges being too full.

Have a good one,
Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #13
Ray in La Mesa

700RPM, I have also made special tools but now when I do I label them as I know I'll forget what they was for!
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:35 AM   #14
John Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post
John, I hope you are completely over that meningitus. You reminded me of something that happened last year. My wife and I were camping and I met this elderly man. He told me he was pushing 90 and having one heck of a time remembering things. I told him I was in the same boat although not as old, but I had figured out why. When he asked what I had come up with, I told him that I believed this. When we were young our brains were like a sponge just sucking up anything that came along. However, now we’re old and those sponges are full. New thoughts might stick to our sponges for awhile, but most just fall off like they were never even there.

The old guy thought for a minute before saying that he thought the sponge idea was a good one and we talked and laughed for awhile before parting.

None of this is going to help you or me remember where we put a tool or a part, but at least we can blame it on our sponges being too full.

Have a good one,
Mike
Thanks for the wishes. The meningitis will always be in my body. Just stays dormant. Related to herpes,chicken pox, shingles and mononucleosis which I've had the last 3. Hope it never flares up again, may not survive the next one. The particular strain I have is only tested at Mayo Clinic and has only been found in transplant patients and people on chemotherapy. I have had neither.

I always thought of the brain being like a computer disk. As time goes by, it gets full and then as you learn new things the old files are stored in the cloud. Sometimes you can retrieve them but usually not.

I found I have an old Snap-on valve seat cutter that really works nice. Can't remember where I got it but now use it all the time. Have to use the stone type grinder to get the glaze off the seat but then the cutter is great.

I used the tap and die yesterday and fixed a 28 forged rear main cap I had poured a couple weeks ago while doing another engine. I have about a dozen of those caps so will start using them.

Thanks again guys for the responses.--John

Last edited by John Stone; 10-18-2017 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Had wrong name on valve seat tool.