Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #1
IndianapolisRacer

Default Ebay bidding

Saw a V8 ford on ebay last month and watched it bid up to 61k and was a no sale didn't meet his reserve price so I contacted seller and he said price was 70k now a couple months later contacted seller and asked if he still had car and he responded "yes , price is 40k ". Now I am concerned about buying , why didn't he sell at 61k 2 months ago now will take 40k , Calif. car too far away to look at fro me !
IndianapolisRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
mrtexas

Default Re: Ebay bidding

If you really want the car the price of a plane ticket is cheap to avoid getting a lemon.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:12 PM   #3
Joe Immler

Also, if you are a member of The Early Ford V-8 Club look in the member directory for members near the sellers location. You might have one of them go look at it for you and report back.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
flatjack9

No doubt the 61K was a bogus bid. Probably by a friend of his. Very common practice.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:45 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
No doubt the 61K was a bogus bid. Probably by a friend of his. Very common practice.
BINGO! That's what happens when one gets more greedy than smart. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
Seth Swoboda

Be careful with fleabay it's full of scum bags. There are better folks here on the barn.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #7
19Fordy

I think the seller was using Ebay- trying to establish a realistic selling price.
However, I think he still has to pay for the cost of the add.
Do not buy any vehicle without first looking at it in person and making sure it has a valid title.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:12 PM   #8
tubman

The cost of the ad itself is a lot cheaper than an appraisal. The same can't be said for their cut of the proceeds if it sells.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #9
blucar

I have been buying and selling on eBay and craigslist for over fifteen years, have a 100% feedback on eBay. I know several people that have had some bad experiences on eBay, however, in most of the cases they thought they were going to get something for nothing and/or did not want to spend the time and/or money to go and look at the item. I belong to several old car clubs and respond to member requests to look at a vehicle for them. In just about every case the vehicle in question was not as advertised.
I sold a '57 T-Bird that I had owned since '72 to an online buyer in Australia yesterday. I sent the buyer tons of pix of the car, then told him to contact someone here in the states to come look at the car. When the buyers agent actually looked at the car, he could not get the money out of his pocket fast enough.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #10
rotorwrench

We had a thread on this very thing not too long ago. A member chewed me out for even implying the possibility of shill bidding. All I can say is, some folks will part other folks of there money with less than an up front way of doing business.

If you find a car that generally sells for 40 or 50Gs, you should expect to pay that unless it is a junk yard dog. Don't pay any more than what it is worth to you. If you like to restore cars then you can get them for less money. If you buy well restored cars you will pay more. Cost of restoration for those that don't do it themselves is way out there these days. A car in poor condition and missing parts can be a large money pit.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #11
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
I think the seller was using Ebay- trying to establish a realistic selling price.
Do not buy any vehicle without first looking at it in person and making sure it has a valid title.
Commissions on a car is $125 with no listing fee. There is also a fee for a reserve. Fixed price and make offer is no listing fee.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:33 PM   #12
Mike in AZ

you can always ask if any 'Barners are in the area who could check out the car for you.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:56 PM   #13
Karl

Living in New Zealand I have brought lots of parts from Ebay and have had absolutely no problems with any USA seller . I've had sellers from other countries who have taken my money and never delivered but fortunately only twice and then for small value items . Buyer beware does still operate. I do note that many descriptions on Ebay are misleading if taken at face value and you need to ask lots of questions to be sure you are getting what you think you are getting. -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:35 PM   #14
Drbrown

My experience with eBay has been that a fair percentage of parts' sellers there don't know specifics about the part they are selling or can't or don't answer questions about the parts. Most significant issue - advertised year of part is incorrect. They often can't answer questions about voltage etc .....
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:53 AM   #15
JWL
Member Emeritus

I agree with 19Forty---don't buy until you look at the vehicle PERSONALLY.

I had a friend-expert look at a truck for me. I thought we had similar knowledge and respect for the facts. WRONG!! About the only thing someone else can do for you is verify the general era in which the car was built.

JWL
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:00 AM   #16
FHFD

E-Bay has made the old car world a lot smaller.
Swap meets seem to have more garage sale, household items every year.
E-Bay can be a good source, but like with anything, know the rules before playing the game.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:16 AM   #17
vulture

Unfortunately there is honest people and dishonest people everywhere . Then you have to add the folks that just don't know and ones that it's All about money. Ask questions and for lots of pictures of details. We all know of trouble spots in our cars and issues that occur . . always trust your gut your brain can be fooled and your heart is a idiot but your gut doesn't know how to lie
Old 10-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #18
1Metalbender

I tried to buy a cab on eBay this past week, just to get a back panel for my truck. There were many messages back and forth between me and the seller...I arranged shipping 6 miles from him, as well as covered the cost of shipping which is totally on me...price was $1000 bin which I thought was a little high but I need the panel so I was gonna pay the piper to get it...at the last second the seller wanted a pallet and travel fee which he made no mention of anywhere in the 20-30 messages between the 2 of us...I walked away

eBay along with many other things in life are the same, if it don't feel right chances are it's not...keep looking
1Metalbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:26 PM   #19
Randy in ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianapolisRacer View Post
Saw a V8 ford on ebay last month and watched it bid up to 61k and was a no sale didn't meet his reserve price so I contacted seller and he said price was 70k now a couple months later contacted seller and asked if he still had car and he responded "yes , price is 40k ". Now I am concerned about buying , why didn't he sell at 61k 2 months ago now will take 40k , Calif. car too far away to look at fro me !

If that's the car I'm thinking of (black '36 3W?) I doubt very much there was any shrill bidding that occurred and 40K is an excellent price - likely gone by now if he's gone public with that price. He's got a bunch of other cars, lots of turnover, likely needs the room now and needs that one gone.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #20
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
The "car for sale" ad is free on eBay if the car does not sell. IF it sells, it is a straight fee. It was around $125 regardless of sale price.