Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
balsamon

Default 1930 Ford Model A Murray Town Sedan?

Hello all, I was wondering if you could tell me what type of model A I have?

I was also wondering if you folks could give me a estimated fair market value for this vehicle. My only concern is that I don't know if it runs or even know how to start it.

Thanks in advance,
Dane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 041.jpg (70.8 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 044.jpg (68.2 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 046.jpg (61.9 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 049.jpg (58.3 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 053.jpg (68.6 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 045.jpg (48.3 KB, 259 views)
balsamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
spike

Default Re: 1930 Ford Model A Murray Town Sedan?

It looks like a couple of days cleaning and you would have a nice driver. I would put it at 12 to 14 on the price. From what I can see it is missing engine pans and orig. engine mounts.....go get em.....
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I'm sorry to disagree with Spike but with an unknown engine, 8-10 tops.

How long has it sat?
Old 01-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
spike

8 to 10 thousand days are long gone Mike...have you bought parts or paint latlely????
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

It's an early 1930 Murray Town Sedan, which is very nice and the most confortable Model A to ride in. I'd drive it and enjoy it for several months to see if you want to keep it. Wanting to know the value, I assume you want to sell it.

The engine has a Model B head, float-a-motor mounts, alternator, and a solenoid added to the starter, and the engine should be green rather than blue. The body doesn't appear to have an original color and looks like it's metallic. As mentioned the car looks like a very nice driver. If the brakes, engine, etc. are in good condition I'd put the value at $12,000 to $14,000.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
John LaVoy

The engine compartment shows some wear and tear and a few modifications. Best to get it started see how it runs and then work on what it is worth. The 12-14 price is fair if it runs well.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
balsamon

Thanks for the figures, the car has been sitting since the passing of my grandfather in '06. I am selling it due to selling my home and will have no where to store it when I move.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Put me in the 12-14 club also but closer to 14
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
2manycars

Where the car is will also effect the price. Prices are higher on both coasts. Shipping is expensive, so buying locally is best for buyers. You did not say where the car is. A photo of the other side of the motor would also help.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike View Post
8 to 10 thousand days are long gone Mike...have you bought parts or paint latlely????

Exactly my point! If it runs and stops, a good driver, your estimate is good. If it does not start and will not stop you are going to spend, what, $2500 for an engine rebuild how much for brakes? Add that to the 12,000 that you say is a good price and you have a driver for 14,000, 15,000.

I think that is a little too high, at least for here in Florida.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Dane,

Humble Opinion:

1. Depending on what you have time to do, & how you want to do it, maybe first see if it runs -- the engine & mechanical components may be great.

2. Second, if you would like, go on line & Google for example: "1930 Model A Ford sedan for sale", whereby one can see what is being offered "today", & review current Model A town sedan prices -- prices vary a lot.

3. One may be surprised to see what this car would look like, & moreso the effect on selling this vehicle if this car were carefully washed & waxed with the right professional products along with interior cleaning -- used car salesmen are fuly aware of this difference as opposed to selling "as is".

3. Not very expensive to clean up & touch up engine compartment -- maybe go more original with Model A head, new hoses & vintage period hose clamps, etc., etc. -- up to you.

4. Asking price? For some who are used to buying cars at today's prices, $5,000.00 up or down may be peanuts for some, a fortune for others -- all depends on "who" is interested.

5. If the asking price is considered a bit high by some, it can be negotiated & lowered -- if low, difficult to raise the price unless two rare buyers are trying to out bid each other.

6. In looking at similar town sedan vehicles, wood bodies can rot easily if stored outdoors in a humid climate; hence, if the wood body is good & interior good, please be aware that both are extremely expensive to replace; however, if both need replacement, material cost alone is about $1,800.00 for a wood kit, & about $2,500.00 for an interior kit, or $4,300.00 in materials alone -- labor depends on if you do it or a professional does it -- so if you see a town sedan that needs new wood & a new interior, a knowledgeable Model A buyer person wil not offer much for it.

Sincerely hope this helps.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
balsamon

Thanks all, and btw it's in California about 20 minutes south west of Sacramento.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
mot

check the gas tank
if its been stored for 7 years, this new gas may have turned to crud,and you will have a problem
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #14
glenn in camino

I'd give $8,000 for it today and pick it up with my trailer. I love cars that need clean-up & detailing.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
TK in LA

She needs an honest soul who is local to look at it and get it running for her. That's what we do! Help each other, especially those who are new.
TK in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsamon View Post
Thanks for the figures, the car has been sitting since the passing of my grandfather in '06. I am selling it due to selling my home and will have no where to store it when I move.
If you have the time, get it running. There are alot of Model A owners that I'm sure would love to help you out to get it so. A few dollars now will return 10 times that at resale.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #17
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I'm sorry to disagree with Spike but with an unknown engine, 8-10 tops.

How long has it sat?
And, I too dont mean to disagree; but, the car to left I bought for
14 k last summer. Problem was it was a mechanical failure. Way too much money later, it runs okay. I like 8 k ........ if you are the buyer.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
luckyal

I think you would be foolish to sell it for $ 8000 until you have had someone knowledgeable look at it. Search out a local Model A club and ask for assistance. It might well be advisable to get a professional appraisal done before you get taken advantage of. There are so many unknowns that it can not be appraised from afar ! As said previously clean it up first and secondly see if someone can start it for you. Good luck !
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #19
TinCup

Without knowing where you live it is tough to give much helpful advice. If you are in or near a city or town with a MAFCA or MARC club chapter then I would advise you to reach out to them and ask for some help with an evaluation. If none are available then the prices quoted here are not unreasonable for a car that is in unknown condition.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote