Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #21
42merc

Default Re: 59 block oil filter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
In the flow drawing it shows the oil pressure sender fitted in the "T" at the filter entrance. If you put it back down at the other orifice, at the back of the block, then what Mart has said is good. The restricter should only effect the flow to the filter. I would prefer to use silver solder (easy flow) to form the plug, instead of ordinary solder. Solder works though. The size of the hole is important. 51merc Ct's post is excellent information. Hard to beat the factories choice of size.
Once the oil has passed through the element, there should be no restriction of flow back to the sump
BTW, yes you were robbing the engine of some of its oil pressure.
When soldering the fitting, if you properly 'tin' the fitting, soft solder will 'stick' & not flow thru.
A 1/6" drill works fine = .062", the oil won't know the difference from .055".
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:25 AM   #22
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern W. View Post
I have a pre-'59 239 Ford Flathead with the rear oil cannister housing having the oil sending unit at the top rear. However, while reading these posts I find related information for "oil cannister" and "oil filter cannister". Is there a difference and, if so, what is the newer filter equivalent? Now for my really big question: I removed the cannister housing (3 - 7/16th bracket bolts, not the 24 stud valve cover bolts), the two metal 1/4" hoses and I can remove the top cover bolt seeing the internal spring, but the cover does not come off. Do I need another tool to grasp the stamped indentations to remove the cover from the housing unit? If it turns, what direction should I turn the cover (lefty loosey)?
The only thing holding the lid on is the big bolt in the middle. The one you undone, and can see the spring. Their is a gasket around the circumference of the oil canister/oil filter canister (same thing two different names) this can stick, try gently tapping up under the rim overhang, should pop up. When tapping leave the centre bolt in a few turns, so it holds the lid from flying off.
Use the proper filter they are easily available.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:30 AM   #23
49r

My observations: I have no restrictor going into my 8BA filter and there is no oil pressure difference with or without the filter. As has been said and illustrated elsewhere in this thread, I assume the 0.60 restrictor coming out of the oil filter is the reason for the constant oil pressure. Which leaves me wondering the real reason for having a restrictor on the "in" side? Wouldn't you want the oil under higher pressure going into the filter so it will be forced through the element? The seals at the top of the filter should be able to hold 601bs, but this may be the reason I have just sprung a leak there. I've resealed it and if it continues to leak will add an "in" restrictor.
49r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:06 AM   #24
scooder

Their is no restrictor coming out of the filter, there are two small holes in the inside tube of the filter but these are both 0.063, so it can flow twice the amount out than in. Yes they will restrict some if there went an "in" restrictor, but their should be an "in" restrictor.
Why not just fit it the way they fitted them on millions of flatheads, it worked, plain and simple.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:40 AM   #25
Mart

The reason for the restrictor is so you only bleed off a certain amount of oil If you do not have a restrictor, you will be bleeding off more oil than you should. That means you have less oil going to your bearings. Ford engineers have determined a bleedoff of a certain size is acceptable. I have seen a size of .055 quoted, but I have used 1.5mm with no detriment. I did not silder mine, I found some material that was a tight fit in the fitting, knocked it in, then drilled it.

The restrictor should be before the filter and after the oil pressure sensor.

The above applies to bypass filters only.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:32 AM   #26
WRA

Where can you purchase one of these fittings. Been to all the standard hardware stores and they don't seem to have such a thing. Is this a vintage part or of current manufacture?

image.jpg
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #27
flatheadfan

WRA-

Try this: http://www.frantzoil.com/catalog/ite...17/8845153.htm

Also-

If you get a chance check over this discussion on the Early V8 Club board: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/vi...=18&Topic=8003

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #28
scrapiron

When you change the filter lines, be sure to replace the filter element before start-up.
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:44 AM   #29
36and63

I know this is an old thread but was a good one with information i'm interested in learning more on. I have a 59ab I purchased for a project awhile back with this type oil filter set up. There is mention of the restrictors to limit the flow and maintain oil pressure. Should there be a restrictor in the inlet line to the filter? When I ran the engine for the first time I had oil coming out the top end of the filter after running for a few minutes. I later learned was due to the holes in the center tube being plugged as well as the outlet tube going back to the pan. I have cleaned it out now but then I ran across this old thread that has me questioning what is correct. Any insight and pics would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat
36and63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:17 AM   #30
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Yes there is a restrictor on the inlet side of the filter, about .060. There are two holes about the same size in the out let tube up the center of the canister. The inlet restrictor can be in various locations, near the connection at the rear of the block (the inlet line going to the canister), at the inlet to the canister or in the fitting just before the canister.

These are called by-pass filters. They bleed off a small percentage of the oil and pass it through the filter and the dump it back into the oil pan.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:33 AM   #31
36and63

Thanks JSeery, I removed the line between the canister and the rear of the block and I can't see where there are any. Do you know of a source for what I need or if someone can upload a pic maybe?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2020, 02:48 PM   #32
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Yes, just need to get a thread match. They sell restrictor for turbo chargers that have the correct restrictor size. Also a drawing of the system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11632a-1-.jpg (29.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg filtr1.jpg (45.8 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 06-10-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:04 PM   #33
36and63

Thanks for the information, I seen where you provided this on other posts related to the subject here on the forum in the past. I'm thinking that I will put this on the inlet on the actual canister. Just seems like hardly any oil will be flowing through the filter with this sort of setup.

Pat
Old 06-10-2020, 05:18 PM   #34
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36and63 View Post
Thanks for the information, I seen where you provided this on other posts related to the subject here on the forum in the past. I'm thinking that I will put this on the inlet on the actual canister. Just seems like hardly any oil will be flowing through the filter with this sort of setup.

Pat
You would be surprised at the amount of oil that will flow through the canister with the restrictor! There have been some calculations on how long to takes to filter all of the oil through a by-pass filter. I don't remember the numbers, but not a long as you would think. And, keep in mind, you want to limit what goes through the by-pass, because it is being removed from what is going to lubricate the engine! This technology may seem a bit strange when you are more accustom to modern oil filter systems, but it is a very good setup and does a good job.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #35
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36and63 View Post

Pat
At idle, in a measured test the filter flowed 5 qts. of oil in appox. 11 minutes.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:13 PM   #36
19Fordy

Fred, Before you go any further, read all and any posts below that have to do with oil filters.
Also, use hard lines from the block to the inlet on you filter and hard line where the oil exits the filter and drains back into the pan.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...adapter&page=3
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote