Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
walkerlakeprinter

Question Re-installing U-Joint

I have my 1929 Coupe transmission and bell housing out of the car and am trying to re-install the U-Joint. Should the U-Joint slip easily onto the splined shaft of the transmission? Mine didn't want to slip on, so I tapped it gently with a hammer and it just got stuck and I had to tap it off with a long screwdriver.
I had assumed that it would just slide on without fuss and then I could attach the retainer and bolt through the back part of the U-Joint with a socket on an extension. Any ideas? My old U-joint is not worn or anything, I just want to
get my car back together. I plan to put the transmission and bell housing in and support it while attached to the torque tube and re-install the engine. I removed and replaced my engine once this way when I lived in Alaska.
walkerlakeprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #2
Jim M

Default Re: Re-installing U-Joint

It should slide in there NO problem. I recently did a major overhaul and bought a new universal joint. I had the same problem...it would NOT go on. I returned it to the vendor. I ended up rebuilding my original and it worked perfect. It sounds like you are using your original but DON'T force it on. Check to see if there are any burrs on the spline or the U/J. If so carefully remove them with a small file and make sure you clean out all the filings with spray cleaner before reassemble. Hopes this helps.
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
Patrick L.

Did you have trouble getting the joint off ? It should go on fairly easily. Just look to see that the splines didn't get buggered [ technical term] up and take a file to them if they did. A little oil may help. It should fit pretty tight, but, it should go on easy if lined up right.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
walkerlakeprinter

I don't remember having any difficulty removing the U-Joint 5+ years ago, but knocking the transmission/bell housing around the garage for five years may have buggered up something a bit. I will tackle the close inspection on Monday when I have my day free. Thanks for the help, guys.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:51 PM   #5
walkerlakeprinter

I got the u-joint re-installed on the transmission. I filed a few rough spots and then put some never-seize on it and it went on with only a light tap to get it started. The special washer turned out to be a tiny fraction larger in diameter than would fit, so I carefully ground off a little bit from the circumference and it fit snugly with the notched part in between the splines. Next job will be to grease it up and attach to the torque tube. So much to learn.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
Jim M

We all go through it. But the reward is well worth it when you take her for a drive!! I just wrestled with a generator gone bad. Partly my fault coupled with sitting for years before I got it. But all's well that ends well!
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:13 PM   #7
Patrick L.

Good. Nice to hear its back together, almost. Yep, there is a lot to learn about these old monsters.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #8
29Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
It should slide in there NO problem. I recently did a major overhaul and bought a new universal joint. I had the same problem...it would NOT go on. I returned it to the vendor. I ended up rebuilding my original and it worked perfect. It sounds like you are using your original but DON'T force it on. Check to see if there are any burrs on the spline or the U/J. If so carefully remove them with a small file and make sure you clean out all the filings with spray cleaner before reassemble. Hopes this helps.
Similar situation. I bought a repro and could not even get it to fit in its enclosure, let alone slip it into place. I promptly returned it and bought a used original from the dreaded ebay. It was 5$ less than the repro!
Installed fine and has been working great ever since.
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote