Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2018, 09:49 PM   #21

Default Re: Millennials decided on an "A"

I’d say that the “A’s” are more popular than ever before. 20 years ago, I thought that they would be dying off but I was wrong. Reason being is that it is easy to get into for not too much money compared to other cars plus it really has quite a history on it, relatively cheap and fun, totally special and unique.

I went with 12 volt system to make it easier to get parts down the road. My car will be left to the next geners that will not have the same knowledge that I have and I am building in a lot to make things more versatile for them in the next 50 years. I have a 28 fordor and it is small for me, when I was growing up it was huge but now, I’m the huge one. 30’s& 31’s are a little larger for modern man I hear.

Fairly good community of us even though some of us are a little touched and really into our hobby. I’d say we don’t take ourselves too seriously, just really focused on the cars and that’s where the fun comes in.
28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:49 PM   #22
old car guy

Tim welcome to the Barn. One suggestion is to buy the best that you can afford. In the long run you will be money ahead. And get a club member or members in your area to go With you to help on the purchase of your garage baby. And another thing to remember is when you sell the house all you get to take with you is the memories, but when you leave the house for the last time your model A will be in your new garage. A good car will and can stay with you and your love ones a lifetime. Enjoy the hobby there are none better,
Old 03-29-2018, 11:21 PM   #23
Dodge

Hi Tim and welcome also. I can’t add much to what has already been said It’s all good advise. I also can’t stress enough that you take some one knowledgeable with you when you find one you think you are going to buy.
Good luck and let the fun begin.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:37 PM   #24
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams81 View Post
Tim,

Welcome!
I am 36 year old DINK (Dual Income No Kids) and have had my 31' Town Sedan for a year....
You have so much good things to say about the Ford A, but you talk in the past... Why ? You only drove it one year.
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:41 AM   #25
Del in NE Ohio

I see you are in Butler, PA. So you are 25-30 min from Snyder’s Antique Auto Parts. I would suggest a visit and meet the folks there. See what kind of support is right in your neighborhood. I retired from Snyder’s 3 years ago and my little shop is just down the road. Would be glad to “consult” PM me if you would like.
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #26
burner31

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If you are planning on driving you and your freinds around, and later kids, I think you have but one choice...1931 town sedan, the Murray would be nice.
Of course I'm biased, less wood, more room, and they look and drive great, very classy.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #27
rosenkranswa

I completely endorse the idea of a sedan for space, weatherproofing, and touring. Keep it 6v and as original as possible - in my experience its the new add-ons that seem to go wrong the most on tours and then its hard to fix because everybody else has tools/parts for original equipment.

By the way the Model T International Club is having their national tour in Butler in July. Worth going over to look at the cars and chat with the folks, maybe even get to ride along for the day. Lots of T drivers have A's as well.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:08 AM   #28
burner31

[QUOTE=daveymc29;1611327] You can join the Model A Ford Club of America (mafca) free, as you have never been a member.

Davey, tell me more on how to join for free, I find nothing on how to do that
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:46 AM   #29
LeroyM

30-31 coupe or roadster since they have more leg room then the 28's & 29's. Convert it over to 12 volt and change the brakes to hydraulics. Change the drive train over to something modern so you have fewer problems and can keep up with highway traffic at speed.

I would avoid hauling any kids in an older car like a Model A because of the people on the roads theses days and the lack of safety features.
LeroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #30
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
If you are planning on driving you and your freinds around, and later kids, I think you have but one choice...1931 town sedan, the Murray would be nice.
Of course I'm biased, less wood, more room, and they look and drive great, very classy.
Is there any reason you specified the Murray? I thought both builders were basically the same.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #31
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

I would recommend the Tudor. You can always move the drivers seat back a bit for more leg room if needed. Any Model A year will work well for you. I strongly suggest you buy the best A you can afford. The more done by the previous owner the less you have to deal with. An overdrive unit is a real plus for touring. It will keep the rpms down and extend your engine life. It would also be to your advantage to find an experienced Model A person to help you with your purchase. They can guide you to your best option. Welcome and good luck!!
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #32
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyM View Post
30-31 coupe or roadster since they have more leg room then the 28's & 29's. Convert it over to 12 volt and change the brakes to hydraulics. Change the drive train over to something modern so you have fewer problems and can keep up with highway traffic at speed.

I would avoid hauling any kids in an older car like a Model A because of the people on the roads theses days and the lack of safety features.
geez at that point sounds like they should just restore a 1992 Taurus..

To me the whole point of owning a vintage car is so you get to experience it in the full.

If a model A is properly restored from tires to roof you wont have many problems and will be reliable. If you do have an issue most can be fixed on the side of the road. You can install seatbelts front and back, add turnsignals, add pass side brake/taillight and battery shutoff as safety features and wont detract from the experience.

yes i probably wouldnt daily drive one with kids in it but a weekend toy would be great.

Yes stock they are not really interstate cars - but thats a great thing as you get to explore the old highways and backroads. Even in a modern antique those roads are fun to explore and see alot of neat stuff along the way - or spy on hidden cars in barns
Old 03-30-2018, 02:41 PM   #33
Mike Peters

I looked at your profile and you state that your occupation is medical devices. That's good, because if you can fix medical devices, then you can also fix Model A's. Our first Model A was a 28 Tudor back in the 80's. Our two kids spent half their childhood in the back seat of that car. Great memories. Others say the same thing. Listen to them. Keep it stock. Six volts and mechanical brakes. The model A Ford is no longer a Model A with modern updates. Welcome!!!!!!!!
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #34
TJ97tim

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Looks like Tudor or Town Sedan is the consensus for the sake of 2+ driving. Keeping the 6v and originiality makes sense.

We are thinking about buying fully restored. $20-30k, from what I am seeing pricing wise we should be getting into something close to an upper level driver. Going to keep it for generations so we don't mind spending a little extra.

Are there better restored that I should be aware of?

We will check out Snyder's!

Thanks Fordbarn!
TJ97tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:02 PM   #35
devoreb

TJ97Tim
I have three model A's. The first was a 29Tudor I bought and restored in 97. Then I bought a 28 roadster in 2003 for $400 with a tree growing through it. I restored it over a three year period. Two years ago I purchased a 31 Cabriolet. If I had started with the Cab I would not have the other two. I love to look , drive and tour in all three. My suggestion is get what you want, and I hope you and your family enjoy it. My son is now 23 and he will tell you he grew up in the back seat of a 29 Ford. Also I am originally from Pittsburgh (Monongahela) and sorry I don't know anyone that can help you.
devoreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:14 PM   #36
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Check your messages
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:37 PM   #37
slammin

Daveymc29,
I can't find anything about a free membership anywhere on the MAFCA website. The only perk I find for new members is:
For New Members Only! (for an extra $11.00, above the $50.00 one year membership)
1 - Back issue of The Restorer
1 - MAFCA Lapel Pin
1 - MAFCA Decal
1 - Name Badge
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:05 AM   #38
Doug Linden

MAFCA is continuing to offer a free 1 year membership for those Model A'ers who have never been a MAFCA member. All local Chapters were sent application forms earlier, but if you didn't see them or are not a members of a local chapter please email me at:

[email protected]

and I will be happy to send you a form.
Doug
Doug Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #39
Lona

Welcome to the Barn!

For the price you are willing to pay, you can get a really nice fully restored model style of your choice. Thing to ask yourself.... are you ok with the heavy amount of mileage you expect to travel in a pristine vehicle which likely will not be pristine after a year or so of on road driving? Many barners pay far less for daily drivers that are mechanically top notch and reliable vehicles but not necessarily show winners to look at. They are not worried about taking them anywhere nor of any dings and scratches they all seem to accumulate along the way.

Also, any Model A and its passengers will come out on the losing end of a collision with another car or truck. It might be wise to consider one with already existing seat belts and shoulder harnesses or at least determine how you or someone else will be able to mount them after the purchase.

These cars are beauty in their style and simplicity and once you have one, they will be in your blood forever.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #40
Terry, NJ

Welcome to the Barn! And Happy Easter! An "A" is an excellent choice for many reasons. As a Family heirloom for one! Availability of parts and knowledge. But I will contend that they are not easy to work on. Some things, yeah, but drivelines are a pain. Make sure all your fluids and oils are topped off. Also, when dealing with a 85 year old car, funny things happen, like rust in the gas tank that clogs your fuel system, or the chassis rusting out. Things that you never have happen to a modern car. Also, you must deal with"oldtimers" who genuinely believe things like straight weight, non detergent oil is best because that what "Henry" said to use, Yeah, 80 years ago! Keep the 6 volt and the mechanical brakes. Just be aware that it sometimes needs an auxiliraly ground cable to the engine it's self. The old paths for the ground get "Clogged" up with dirt and rust (mainly rust) and don't carry the current so well any more. Good luck! and we do have all the answers!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote